X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boerne Tx

Hey y'all. A lot of Texas folk here. Good to see.

been away from my most loved hobby for about 8 years, still struggling to get up to speed on things that have changed.

my last plane was a 1/5th scale ESM P51..ended up selling it, and five other planes to help cover the wife's battle with cancer. We won that fight and she's in permanent remission now. Ladies, get those yearlies..seriously.

so, I'm back and have started down the journey to reclaiming my warhorse..This time around I chose a Hanger 9 1/5th scale ARF.

A few have called me crazy for what I'm about to say, but here goes. I've spoken with a few guys that have done to their engines what I'm doing to mine, and I've been assured it should work just fine. We'll find out. I sourced a NIB Zenoah G62..stock they are heavy, and a little anemic by today's standards. I was pointed towards Performance Unlimited Products and modification of the engine to their "pro mod" G 62 specs. It's on its way there now. I've ordered, and recieved a couple of xoar 2 blades to get it tuned and run in a little, then those are being set aside for a 23.5 inch Ramoser Vario Prop 4 blade direct from Christian Ramoser himself. The engine will be equipped with the Frsky gas engine sensor pack to monitor live, the rpm, fuel flow, and temperature.
    Frsky SR10 Pro with an Archer RS as redundant.
    Spektrum HV digital servos as listed in the manual.

I am prepared, if it comes to it, to set aside the Zenoah and go another route if need be, but it will be interesting to see if the opinions are backed up by rpms.

Anyway...so that's what's going on in my small neck of the woods. We just recently moved to the outskirts from under the shadow of the Alamo so if y'all know of some contacts to rc clubs around Boerne point em in my direction. I've sent some emails but have never gotten a response.

The Swamp Fox will fly again.

Oh yeah, the wife wants to learn to fly RC, so the club would be gaining 2 members, her with her trainer..me with the first of a few warbirds to come.

I've done so much research in forums I knew, new forums I didn't know, even as far as the UK emailing back and forth with Mick Reeves, the creator of the torquemaster reduction drive, to get this mustang to be my Perfect Mustang.

It's funny how when that itch starts bugging you, and you start planning a build, just how far you are willing to go to be The plane you most want to fly.

I'd drop 1800 bucks for a kolm 3 cylinder if I thought it would fit, at this point. Lol.

Comment

Hey TXmustangflyer. I'm just up the road a little ways in Austin and I fly at Hill Country Aeromodelers.. Glad to hear about getting back into the hobby. Theres a swap meet not too far from you in Feb. Here are the details.

The Tri City Flyers Swap Meet will be held Friday-Saturday February 11-12, 2022 at the

GARDEN RIDGE COMMUNITY CENTER
      9400 Municipal Pkwy
      GARDEN RIDGE, TX 78266

Comment

Hey thanks bud. I'll look up Hill Country. They don't mind warbirds do they? (Grin)

Comment

I'm out in bastrop flying today well just finished, because the sun gets in our eyes about now

Comment

Out on the road for work and nothing yet ready to fly. The mustangs airframe is still on back order @tower...(sad face)

Comment

RC Warbirds and Warplanes - Build thread: readying the Hanger 9 mustang 1/5th scale. - Too keep from clogging up the mustang brotherhood thread, I'm going to start a separate build thread for it. There's going to be things I need you guy's help with as this is known to be a builders ARF. The manual isn't very clear in

There's the link to the build thread for my Hanger 9 1/5th scale P51 for anyone interested. I'm sure there will be points where I'll be head scratching. Anyone who wishes to follow along and see how it progresses, stop on by.

Comment

Will do!

Comment

Working...
                X