Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlightLine P-51D

Hey everyone,

Looking for a bit of help, I'm still new to the hobby and i had joined a club that was near my house and was able to fly a hand full of times and it always went well, Was flying a gas trainer that the club had but i had to move and the closes club to be is now over 1.5hr away. I picked up realflight and have been flying that as well as i don’t have the time to drive out to the club anymore.

My wife picked me up a FlightLine P-51D for charismas and i installed a Spectrum AR631 and i have an NX8 that i had bought before, This was my fist time setting everything up from scratch on the receiver so i checked out a few videos online and was able to configure the AS3X and SAFE, I also inverted the flaps like i saw on a few videos.

We have a small lake 2 mins from our house that freezes over in the winter so 2 days ago i took the plane out to try it and well it didn’t go the best lol.

The first time i went to hand launch it i had SAFE on and i guess because of the limited movement of the ailerons i could not clime and i broke the prop what was not a big deal i changed that up and went to do a second hand launch, This time i turned safe off and launched it and was able to clime no problem but as it started to go maybe around 40-50 feet it seemed to lose control and started to bank left and right before going into a spin and diving into the ground. I’m not sure if this was because i still was almost full throttle and forgot to back it off as this was the first time flying solo with no one else around i might have froze up and also fist time hang launching it.

Dose anyone have any suggestions on maybe something was setup wrong or settings i might have overlooked? I also know its not the best to jump into a warbird or low wing plane to start with but as i seemed to be doing great at the club with the trainer and on the flight sim i figured lets give it a go.

Thanks for any help you guys can give or recommend.

I would get yourself a T28 for a starter warbird. Also sounds like you have the stabilizer gain too high for the plane. Other possibility is make sure the stabilizer is correcting the right direction. But I'm pretty sure it might be over sensitive gains in the stabilizer.

Comment

It sounds like torque roll. Or your control surface throws are too high. Have you set high, medium, and low rates? Have you setup expo? You night have also stalled it with your climb angle and with full throttle the prop might have been stalling. A mustang will tip stall and spin in. I do second what rifleman is saying, a T28 is a great first warbird. Or even just something with landing gear, not a mustang. But honestly if you are flying on the simulator ok, you can probably fly that mustang. The hand launch for a maiden/trim flight is difficult to do. That's what's nice about landing gear, your hands are on the controls for those first crucial seconds of flight. And you can keep it on the ground until the plane is going fast enough to fly.

I bet with the as3x, unless you changed the gains that it is working correctly. Did you use forward programming to set it up? And are your gyro gains in a knob to be adjustable?

Comment

Working...
      X