• Show
Clear All

• Official Nexa A6M5 Zero 1580mm ARF Discussion Thread

Click image for larger version

Name:	nexa-a6m5-zero-green-1580mm-62-wingspan-arf-motion-rc-28319134515385.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	364070

The Mitsubishi A6M "Zero" was a long-range fighter aircraft formerly manufactured by Mitsubishi Aircraft Company and operated by the Imperial Japanese Navy from 1940 to 1945. The A6M was designated as the Mitsubishi Navy Type 0 carrier fighter, or the Mitsubishi A6M Rei-sen. The A6M was usually referred to by its pilots as the Reisen (zero fighter), "0" being the last digit of the imperial year 2600 (1940) when it entered service with the Imperial Navy. The official Allied reporting name was "Zeke", although the name "Zero" (from Type 0) was used colloquially by the Allies as well.

The Nexa A6M5 Zero is an electric or gas .46-size aerobatic airplane with a 1580mm wingspan. The Nexa Zero is constructed primarily from balsa wood and covered with a fuel-resistant covering. This ARF requires some assembly including the installation of the servos, retracts, and power system of your choosing (our recommendations are below). Note - servos, retracts, and power system are not included. This Zero features functional flaps, a fiberglass cowl, a painted pilot and other scale details. The large battery hatch affords ample room for either electric or gas setups. Impress at your flying field with this iconic World War II axis warbird!
    Fully Covered and Detailed

The Nexa A6M5 Zero comes fully covered including weathering, simulated panel lines and rivets.
    Scale Details Throughout

There is no shortage of scale details with this A6M5 Zero including functional flaps, detailed cockpit and painted pilot.
    Fiberglass Cowling

The cowl is made of fiberglass for both looks and durability.
    Fly An Axis Classic

The A6M5 Zero is an iconic Japanese WWII warbird that performs aerobatics with ease and style.
    Features:
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Covered from tip to tail in scale details including functional flaps, plastic seat, antenna, printed simulated panel lines and rivets
    • Fiberglass cowling for strength and durability
    • All control surfaces come out of the box pre-hinged and installed for convenience
    • Large battery hatch allows for your chosen electric or gas setup
    Includes:
    • Nexa A6M5 Zero Green 1580mm (62") Wingspan - ARF
    • Wheels and spinner
    • Fuel tank, hardware and decals
    Requires:Gas Requires:Customer Note
    Nexa ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).

Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL : 14 and up
    SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
    BUILD TIME : 6+ Hours
    Model Scale 1/7.5
    Wingspan 1580mm / 62in
    Length 1168mm / 46.0in
    Empty Weight 3100g / 109.34oz
    CG (Center of Gravity) 107mm from the leading edge of the wing's root
    Power System 400Kv or equivalent brushless outrunner motor for electric or 2-stroke for gas (required)
    Electronic Speed Control 70A (required)
    Propeller / EDF 13x8 2-blade for electric or 12x6 2-blade for gas (required)
    Servos
    • 45g metal gear standard: left aileron, right aileron, elevator, rudder - HRC6005-017
    • 17g metal gear standard: left flap , right flap - HRC6005-022
    Landing Gear Electronic retractable gear (required)
    Required Battery 4 Cell 14.8V 4500 - 5000mAh LiPo Battery (required)
    Required Radio 6+ Channel (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Lights No
    Hinge Type CA fabric
    Material Balsa and light plywood
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 6+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors

What are the electric retracts needed for this zero? I just ordered the plane and am excited to get it!!😁

Comment

You can most likely use any 90 degree retracts from a 1400 through 1700 mm warbird.
      Personally I would not use a 40 size power suggestion, These planes fly great on 60 size packages , glow or electric.
      I have the Dauntless, modified the lipo area for 6s 5000 and the plane flys like a dream .
      I will most likely get this zero but my hanger is locked up for Christmas, this was a late release and wifey already allowed two warbird gift lol
      Attached Files

Comment

Why on Earth would they recommend 4s for an ARF of this size? It's definitely a 6s bird. I have the Phoenix Models 1400mm FW-190 and tried their recommended 4s set-up. It flew at approximately stall speed. Tried the NGH 9cc gas engine, same result. It took an .82 glow 4-stroke to finally meet its power needs. So don't pay attention to the 4s recommendation on this Zero.

Comment

I agree , not sure if 4s was some attempt at a cost concern but 4s is laughable. There seems to be a lot planes under specked in power, the Phonex A26 91” was suggested with 2x35 size motors.
          the AUW on the box was 17lbs, the stock suggested system would not generate enough watts to fly the model safely

Comment

I'm trying to determine what size electric motor is right for this plane. Do you think the eFilte Power 60 (470Kv) is too much for this bird?

Comment

If you go to the VQ website, the actual manufacturer of this plane, they recommend a 5S battery

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zero.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	365557
              Attached Files

Comment

CJ
                to answer your question , yes that motor will be fine .
                I can only tell you how I have built my fleet of RC warbirds /planes .
                All of my warbirds and sport planes are based on 4s/6s, 12s and all aprox 5000/50c or greater.

Why ? Out of all the plane I fly and the one I see at my club Warbirds have the greatest tendency to have issues.
                They take skill on take off, things can go wrong , example, retracts, torque roll, slow peed stall. Yes , I know this can happen on any tail dragger however warbirds usually have a heavier wing loading = high skill set needed for takeoffs and landings.

So when I take a plane ( example ) 6cell Duantless or this zero , I also take my 6cell Kaos . Why ? In the event something goes wrong with one of my 6 cell Warbirds , my trusty reliable Kaos is ready to fly, enjoy and deplete the battery ,,,,, this last part is the most important.
                I really dislike depleting a fully charged lipo or one with 75% or greater capacity left because something went wrong with my warbird.

Second biggest reason for my power choices is wanting at least 100 watts per pound minimum on a warbird. You can easily fly at 75% power, scale and enjoy longer flying time.

Third and very important is that the Zero, Corsair, FW190 ect all typically need nose weight.
                My VQ dauntless balanced perfectly on 6s with no weight, I know for a fact guys added weight on the 4s and the difference was virtually the same weight if they has chosen a 6s.
                Why add dead weight on any epowered model ?

Last winter I converted a 80” Zero that I purchased from a friend , remove the over G62 gas engine along with 4lbs of dead weight into a 50cc motor -12S system and zero added weight.
                The key to this story is functional weight on epowered planes is critical to success !

Comment

does anyone see a problem with rimfire.32 800kv

Comment

It’s rated for sport planes max weight 6.5 lbs !
                    if you want the lowest power range possible with potential failure , then I see no issues at all

Comment

Just pulled the trigger on one myself. And the retracts. Got a Saito 82 that needs a home, this should be a lovely one for it!

Comment

Mine came in. It's gorgeous! And I'm happy to see the oleo struts are included with the retracts; I had expected to need to buy those seperately. Ordered my completion parts, ordered bearings for my engine. Hoping to have it on the flightline in a couple weeks~

Comment

JennyC6, Looking forward to your review and pictures. Best, LB
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                            JennyC6, Looking forward to your review and pictures. Best, LB
                            https://youtu.be/BvrVeZjVEys Engine soundcheck!

Comment

https://youtu.be/GZ6fZsR0kNE Next soundcheck, this time on the airframe!

Comment

Originally posted by JennyC6 View Post
                                Just pulled the trigger on one myself. And the retracts. Got a Saito 82 that needs a home, this should be a lovely one for it!
                                How did the .82 work out? I have a Saito 80 Golden Night I'm planning on putting in mine

Comment

Originally posted by Jimfitz0566 View Post

How did the .82 work out? I have a Saito 80 Golden Night I'm planning on putting in mine
                                  Like a boss. No lead to balance it, cruised quite comfortably at somewhere around 1/3rd throttle. Gobs of power. Honestly probably a bit much on the power standpoint, but given it balances so perfectly and sounds AMAZING on it I'm not swapping it anytime soon.

Went with a Master Airscrew 12-7-3 prop, too.

Comment

Working...
                                  X