X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servos

Just getting into flying R/C. I have flown light aircraft in the past and trying to figure out some good servo brands as well as transmitter/ receiver combos. Any comments about Hitech servos and Spektrum NX8/receiver combos. Thanks....DJ

Most planes that a person "just getting into flying RC", will come with servos installed. But since you ask, perhaps you are planning to build your own planes. Therefore, it might be helpful for viewers to know what kind of plane you are planning to use these components in.
    Since getting back into RC some years ago, I started with Spektrum and updated and upgraded within Spektrum, so that's all I know and use. I currently use an NX10 and I have no bad things to say about it. However, others may point you in a different direction for their own reasons. Receivers for Spektrum are varied. Of course, Spektrum RXs are the most obvious choice when you are new at this and if you target Eflite (Horizon) planes that are BNF (Bind & Fly), you don't have to choose. They'll come with the receiver. But know that there are other brands of receivers that are DSM compatible and they work just as well and are cheaper. Brands like Lemon, Admiral, Orange come to mind. There are others as well. It all depends on what you want and what the features are that you are after. These are more for PNP (Plug & Play) models where you will need your own receiver.

Comment

Tanks for responding...I did fly back in the 80's in light civilian aircraft mostly Pipers and dabbled in R/C with a few trainers and a Old Kaos .60 with a Futaba system. Girls came along and priorities changed....now a grandpop of 5 boys and retired. Getting back into flying again with the oldest. I'll start him on a trainer and I'll be building a 30cc Ultra Stick. What's Most reliable gear out there and yes I've got to watch where I spend the $$$. Don't mind spending on something that is solid and will last more than a year or two. Thanks

Comment

Something like an Ultra Stick will require servos that are a bit more stout than what you would find in a typical small to mid-sized foamie. I've heard that Hitec's are quality servos but can get expensive. I'll let others comment about them as I fly mostly foamies and the balsa/fiberglass ones I have are sailplanes and they seem to do fine with the FMS, Freewing, HobbyKing cheapie servos.

Comment

Originally posted by DJfromNJ View Post
          Tanks for responding...I did fly back in the 80's in light civilian aircraft mostly Pipers and dabbled in R/C with a few trainers and a Old Kaos .60 with a Futaba system. Girls came along and priorities changed....now a grandpop of 5 boys and retired. Getting back into flying again with the oldest. I'll start him on a trainer and I'll be building a 30cc Ultra Stick. What's Most reliable gear out there and yes I've got to watch where I spend the $$$. Don't mind spending on something that is solid and will last more than a year or two. Thanks
          If you've not flown R/C since the 80s (which is how I interpret your post) I recommend something smaller and cheaper than a 30cc Utra Stick to get back into it with.

Comment

Working...
          X