You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some feedback on a school project any insight would be great!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some feedback on a school project any insight would be great!

Hey all,
    I'm currently working on a project at my school to design and build a plane and it would be incredibly useful to get some feedback from people who have been flying for years. At the moment the idea is a plane with a rough wingspan of 1 m and a 375-watt motor along with a large suite of onboard sensors. it would be nothing too crazy with park flyer characteristics and a skill level of 1-2. It is generally modeled after a piper cub. Right now the price point is looking to at around 750$. Is this price point something that is reasonable? if not what would you think something would be worth? Also, repairs and creation rely upon 3d printed parts and steam bent balsawood are these reasonable assumptions for general hobbies if not what would be an alternative?

any and all feed back would be appreciated thanks!!!

IMHO your price point needs to be closer to $300 or less to be competitive in the market. The competition has the advantage of manufacturing scale. Otherwise you have a beautiful model priced at $750 +/- that no one will purchase.

Comment

I'm a little confused on the point of the project. Is the point simply to scratch build a plane or is this an exercise in manufacturing as you mention price points?

Comment

if you're going to design a plane from scratch, the first thing you need to do is acquire a basic understanding of flight and the principles involved so you have some idea of what's involved, not sure what you knowledge level is along those lines, but once you have a design, you're going to need a couple prototypes built because you will crash at at least one in the process, once you have the flying prototype, then you can go back and decide where you can costs to try and arrive at your desired price point.

Comment

Working...
        X