X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durafly EFXtra

This little speedster looks interesting. Just saw the video on HK. I may be turning into a speed freak. Thoughts on this brand? I believe the EFX was well liked, no? Any Squawkers with an opinion ?

I have the original EFX and it's a blast to fly. I had issues with spinners and props grenading, but other than that it flew really well once I swapped to an APC prop. The EFXtra looks like just as much fun. I don't think I'll ever fly it FPV, but as an overall package, it's a really nice plane for the price in the "Hand Launch/Belly Land" class of foam electric racers.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I have owned and still own several Durafly products. Even though they are relatively cheap, they are very good products - some better than others. I've had the previous EFX and it was a screamer. I wanted it faster but wasn't willing to put more money into it. I gave it away. I'm actually thinking of getting this EFXtra just for kicks. I still have the Durafly SkyMule and it's been a wonderful plane. Then there's the Excalibur, another terrific plane. However, the Durafly P-40 and Corsair were both garbage (both gone). The V-70 Zephyr was "OK" (also gone). Sea Vixen was good but a little underpowered (gone). The Vampire was great once they figured out the published CG was wrong and end users corrected it (gone). The Tundra is a magnificent piece. The Durafly Komet is another interesting plane but has its own quirks.
      Bottom line .................... Get it!

Comment

I have had some durafly planes as well with good experience with them as well. If it did not have hobbyking attached to them I would get another with out a question.

Comment

Originally posted by bradl4648 View Post
          I have had some durafly planes as well with good experience with them as well. If it did not have hobbyking attached to them I would get another with out a question.
          Agreed that HobbyKing has had its ups and downs in years past, more down than up. Nevertheless, they have made this hobby accessible to a huge number of people due to pricing. I've got hundreds of orders totally thousands of dollars with them. Some of those orders, I've had to shake my head a bit and wonder if they'll end up well. So far, they have. Every once in a while they'll change something with their website or the way they do business and I have to say, "What are they thinking?" But I've found that by doing the proper searches and research into which warehouse to best buy their stuff and the best way to ship it, much of the stress is removed - not all but most.
          Someone stated that the EFXtra manual intimates that the stock motor and ESC "could" take 6s but most will agree that prudence would dictate a bigger ESC and a bit of fiddling with prop size.

Comment

I have had pretty good luck with hobbyking so far especially with Durafly. I have their Mk1 Spitfire and Skyraider, and they have been great! Also have the Hobbyking B-17 which is a fantastic flyer. The Durafly stuff seems to have pretty good flying characteristics and parts support. I've had a nasty experience with their unbranded (Unique models?) T-50, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Durafly again. Their upcoming Avios Spitfire is on my list as well. Can't comment on the sport planes, as I'm a warbird/scale guy, but my experiences with Durafly have been positive.

Comment

Ordered a blue one today. If it's 10mph faster than my old EFX, it should be spectacular.

Comment

I've flown their Skipper model... I love flying it, but the fit and finish has less than desirable results. I've replaced 2 servos and had to reenforce the motor mount. But still flys really well. I just wish they would use higher quality servos.

Comment

I was wondering about that Komet, must be a trip to fly. Thanks to all you SquawkMasters for the input. Had to pick this one up today, I had to go with the green, xv2. Picked up spare spinner and motor mount, as I usually do, but no props listed as spares. Kind of problematic for belly landing prop job :Scared: May have to tap you guys again for propeller advice. Specs list prop as an 8x6 for 3s and 7x6.5 for 4s. Does this mean no props supplied with the kit?:Confused:

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                    I've flown their Skipper model... I love flying it, but the fit and finish has less than desirable results. I've replaced 2 servos and had to reenforce the motor mount. But still flys really well. I just wish they would use higher quality servos.
                    Oh, yeah. Forgot about the Skipper. Our little group has 6 of them. I gave mine away to a friend. It's a terrific little plane for the money. At one time, it was under $100.00 bucks (+shipping), so it is what it is. One expects to have to replace stuff as it's not a premium product but it is great fun to fly. They are perfect for our winters as mostly all we fly now are "skidders". Stick with the small one. Word has it that the big one doesn't fly nearly as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post
                      I was wondering about that Komet, must be a trip to fly. Thanks to all you SquawkMasters for the input. Had to pick this one up today, I had to go with the green, xv2. Picked up spare spinner and motor mount, as I usually do, but no props listed as spares. Kind of problematic for belly landing prop job :Scared: May have to tap you guys again for propeller advice. Specs list prop as an 8x6 for 3s and 7x6.5 for 4s. Does this mean no props supplied with the kit?:Confused:
                      You'd be surprised at how well the prop stays out of the way when belly landing. Just make sure you shut power off before touch down and do your best to stall it onto the ground. You need to plan a longer approach. I never broke a single prop with my old EFX except for the time I threw it weird and it nosed in under power. If you keep the brake OFF, it'll spin out of the way of the ground as it touches down. With the EFXtra, I'd love to find a 7x7 or even 7x8 prop but those are hard to find. I do have some 5" and 6" props for when I feel the need to try it on 6s. HK says a 5x5 is all that's needed to run it on 6s.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                        Oh, yeah. Forgot about the Skipper. Our little group has 6 of them. I gave mine away to a friend. It's a terrific little plane for the money. At one time, it was under $100.00 bucks (+shipping), so it is what it is. One expects to have to replace stuff as it's not a premium product but it is great fun to fly. They are perfect for our winters as mostly all we fly now are "skidders". Stick with the small one. Word has it that the big one doesn't fly nearly as well.
                        Yeah I've had both, the big one if you miss the cg even alittle, it will be a major pain. I used the big one for FPV. Then the rudder failed and she spun in. So yeah not messing with that anymore, It also collected water like a fire fighter tanker.

Comment

Long brown box on the porch today :Party: . Just in time for another week straight of:Rainning: no more :Wave: over the spillway please.

Comment

Still can't find any props that I'd like to try. Esprit has 7x7 but I'm not paying $40.00 for shipping and handling for 2 props.

Comment

That's outrageous. I'm digging through my Volantex bags from their P-51 and P-47. Those props were 7x6 I think. I cut my low wing teeth on those birds, still have them too. But I do remember having successful flights, killing power to land, executing smoothish landings dead stick, and still breaking them. Maybe Alpha has the right plan with the APC props. I just always worry about the o-ring type prop shaft adapters. I don't break a prop when I use them, I break a prop shaft. Maybe that's the way to go, as shafts are cheaper to replace? Any sound advice? Maybe I'm setting up these props wrong?

Comment

I used the Volantex planes as belly landers, as the landing gear were ridiculous.

Comment

I'm not sure that a prop is easier to break on a belly lander depending on how it's set up. The only time I've broken one is when I drove it into the ground under power (poor timing on my part). I always leave the brake OFF and the bit of free wheeling (throttle off) on the prop helps to spin it out of the way when it finally touches down. Someone on the other forum said that having the brake set to ON, can rob the motor of up to 15% of its power during max throttle operation. I can't confirm that. Somebody even mentioned using a folding prop but I wonder if a folding prop would hold together at such high rpm or would have as much pull as a rigid prop of the same pitch/diameter. Of course, with a folder, the brake ON may come into play to reduce power. My Excalibur has a fairly large folding prop but it only spins at 800kv. The Excalibur is also quite fast.
                                  I actually have some 7x6 props that I might try but since the stock is already 7x6.5, there may be no advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                                    The Vampire was great once they figured out the published CG was wrong and end users corrected it (gone). The Tundra is a magnificent piece. The Durafly Komet is another interesting plane but has its own quirks.
                                    Bottom line .................... Get it!
                                    The Vampire is a work of art.. just a magnificent jet. The Vixen is phenomenal with an XRP 14 blade fan unit.

Comment

Finally, finally got to maiden this little whippet late today. Spare props were sent to Alaska and back and still got here before I put this one up.Took it easy on the first flight, stable and predictable at half throttle on 4s. Felt pretty solid. Ratcheted up on the B side.:bluetongue This little bird has a whole 'lotta go.:Cool:

Comment

durafly EFXTRA 7x6.5 4S Propellers

Comment

Working...
                                        X