X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynam Waco 1270 mm Hot motor

Use 12X8 prop at 5000 ft altitude. Draws just under 39 amps at full throttle static. Have removed some black plastic in cowl to facilitate air flow Motor hub too hot to hold onto at end of typical flight. Battery very warm also. Outside temp above 90Deg F at present. Motor has no direct cooling the battery none. Anyone putting holes in the foam adjacent to motor support plate into the battery location? This would provide direct cooling to both

I think about everyone is removing the plastic between the cylinders of the plastic dummy motor. This allows air over the motor and also through the channel that the ESC sits in.

I have two, one with just over 100 flights and one with over 300 flights. Generally I fly about 6 minutes of mixed throttle and they come down warm but not hot. Recently the older of the two has been coming down noticeably warmer. I think I may just be wearing out the motor;-)

Jim

Comment

I have the Waco now for a few years and its a joy to fly . I had the motor pull threw the board once causing the motor to pull off in flight . This happened for two reasons , the screws were not threaded correctly and the heat from the motor . With the ambient temperature you are flying at it will get warm almost hot feeling but its ok . It is not hot as you may think . Like Jim said we have all cut the space between the cylinders out and seems to work fine . Just keep a eye on the screws getting loose . There are nuts on the back side of the motor board where the screws tighten ,

Bryan
      But Crashing is Landing

Comment

I have not had any cooling problems but I put the air Titans 690 KV motor and it and a fms 65 amp ESC course I had to do a few modifications like buying a new cowling using it as a spacer course I had to cut it. Now instead of a wine I get this whoosh whenever I fly it

Comment

As batteries age in use , the internal resistance rises and they get hotter and eventually they may puff and lose power . After frying a motor, I cut some vents in the firewall to increase airflow through the cowl , over the motor and onto the battery pack and speed control. I use the stock props furnished with the WACO. I also cut some grooves in the ring cowl to keep cowl from creeping forward from air pressure inside the ring cowl and hitting prop in flight. Magnets/keepers didn't hold ring cowl securely.

Comment

I had a Dynam Waco in Australia but had to sell it when I moved to Thailand.
            I had purchased it second hand and was pretty placid in the air even when I replaced the motor.
            I was running a 2200 4 cell 30-40 c battery and tried several different props but never did figure out why it was so "doey'.
            However, it was still a joy to fly and have been trying to get my hands on another one for ages until I discovered that MRC now have them in stock so ordered one about 3 hours ago..
            For those who have never visited Thailand, it's well established among foreigners that the Thais tend to target us as all being rich so they exploit us wherever and whenever possible.
            This is particularly true in government departments such as customs offices where officials have no qualms whatsoever in charging double the import and VAT taxes when a parcel is addressed to someone with an English or European n name.
            Of course half of that goes into the official on duty's pocket while the rest goes to the proper government department so there's no way you can reason with them or question them..
            Recently I bought some planes and spare parts from the HobbyKing global warehouse in China which came to a total value of around US$180. So should have paid a maximum of around 15% combined taxes but was charged almost 30% on top of the $180 purchase price.
            In that knowledge, I've asked MotonRC to mark down the price of the Dynam Waco on the packing slip to offset the outrageous charges customs are going to slug me when it arrives.
            I wonder if they'll do it?

Comment

Move back to Australia.

Comment

Motion RC replied to me question with a no.
                At least they were helpful which is more than I can say for the smart arse answer I got from a member above.
                There always has to be at least one in every group who has nothing constructive to say but has to say something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kellio View Post
                  Motion RC replied to me question with a no.
                  At least they were helpful which is more than I can say for the smart arse answer I got from a member above.
                  There always has to be at least one in every group who has nothing constructive to say but has to say something.
                  Sorry for not being politically correct but you seem to be a little thin skinned. Did you really think MOTION was going to do something basically dishonest just to save you money and risk their reputation? Get over it!!

Comment

Working...
                  X