X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RocHobby Beech Staggerwing

I have to say I'm impressed that MotionRC posted my less than glowing review of the RocHobby Beech Staggerwing. To me this shows their commitment to the customer. Letting the market know that there are a few issue and that they are willing to have them posted on their site. They know (they aren't just giving lip service to this) that in informed customer is a happy customer. And that a happy customer will be back for more sales. Hats off to MotionRC!

I have to admit that I have a fondness for aircraft from the golden area of aviation (before the rules got too thick).

Who couldn’t love an aircraft with 2 wings retracting landing gear and a radial engine? She, and the RocHobby Staggerwing have all this with the added novelty of the wing stagger being reversed from the norm. At $180 she is great deal. Everything works, the motor, ESC, servos and the retracts (and yes even the lights). While she is not perfect out of the box, for 3 or so hours of added work you too can have a model much like the one I review here.
    http://rctruth.com/index.php?topic=1929.0

Let me say that the longer I fly her the more I like her. I've been pushing the CofG aft a little at a time and she just keeps getting better. For first flight I would start at 65mm from the bottom wing's leading edge. And then slowly move the CofG aft after you have her trimmed and are comfortable with how she handles. Please remember that the CofG gravity is as much a personal preference as it is a stability issue. So follow the manual for the maiden flight but don't be afraid to move things aft to get a nice handling model.

All the best,
    Konrad

Re: RocHobby Beech Staggerwing

I took the time to read your report Konrad, amazing to say the least. Your experteece is much appreciated

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

Greetings Konrad (G56),

First off, I noticed that this is your first post on the forum.....
      I would like to say WELCOME and I hope your experience here is enjoyable.

I have to say ditto to how impressive it is that MRC honestly prints the bad and the good.
      I too recently submitted a not so favorable review on one of the products they distribute not thinking I would see it posted. Especially since my review was the first for this particular plane and figured they certainly don't want to begin a new plane listing that way. Well, it took a bit longer the other reviews I've submitted (which were all positive) but, recently there it was in epervesant black and white!!!! Again, I was equally impressed and amazed.

I have been promoting the several positive attributes of MRC for quite a while now and have admitted that their accalades have truly reached the point of redundancy. But, I never tire of saying it!!

There's simply no place better place for foam, electric aircraft.... bar none!!!

Glad to have you with us and I look forward to your future contributions.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
      in Okla.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I know what you mean about this site being the best for foam electric models. Since June I've gotten 2 Su 35, 2 Stinger 64, 2 Art tech F-86s, 1 Meteor, 1 Me 262 and this Staggerwing. This from a hardened anti foam ARF guy.
        The product and service offered by Motion RC has a lot to do with me slowly coming around to seeing the benefit and value of these fine foam ARFs. While I have yet to get the Meteor and the F-86s flying I'm lusting after the Mirage and other planes. I will say this site will be stress testing my pocket book. <smiley image="smiley_hurt.gif"/>

All the best,
        konrad

Comment

Greetings Konrad,

Indeed, coming in I never realized the level of addiction that was possible for these incredibly affordable foamie flyers. I am a nitro convert and I so enjoy completing my fourth flight while most of my friends are still tweaking the engines.

Oh, I still enjoy firing up one of those noisy birds now and then just to maintain the skill set, but then I turn to my F-86 and A-10 EDF's and I think......... yeah, Baby!!!!

Clear Skies

Bill L.
          in Okla.

Comment

I see that there is a new review #13. In it Stephen Roy mentions torque roll on take off. Can't say as I noticed any torque issues with my take offs. But I will say that the way the tail wheel is rigged one could have issues taking off of a paved runway, as the tail wheel is way too responsive.

Now I haven't mentioned this in my reviews but the right thrust may be a bit too much. I sure am fighting it when doing inverted maneuvers. Adding a 1° Ernst shim to take out some right thrust is on my list of test flight activities. Note; right thrust is not there too take care of motor torque issues but rather the asymmetrical thrust from the air not hitting both the left and right prop blades at the same angle, this is known as 'P' factor. With the nose pointed up a bit (to the airflow) the right blade will produce more thrust than the left blade. This is why when you climb you have to add some right rudder to maintain heading in the up line. And the reverse left rudder on the down line. Now I did say she wasn't a pattern ship. But she is a good sport scale ship when trimmed properly.

All the best,
            Konrad

Comment

RE: RocHobby Beech Staggerwing

I took almost all of the downthrust and right thrust out of my Staggerwing and my dad's yellow and blue Staggerwing, it flies a little bit better. I also added a bit of a down elevator mix with full flaps to keep the nose from rising.

(A guy at our field took all of the leading edge down stabilizer incidence out by cutting the stab loose and regluing it with the leading edge high enough to make it straight with the wings, he flies his really fast on 4S and it's like an Extra or something.)

The wings have 0 incidence on top and a little positive on the bottom, these are scale settings like the real one, as is the negative stab incidence and these are great for a free flight model. We fly R/C models pretty fast and over a great speed range so these trim positions don't make it fly too well unless one understands how it's set up. I left the stab alone and fly mine relatively slowly, it makes great tail low and three point landings. High speed just takes a little more down trim.

Mine flies great, the gear works and I love landing it in grass or dirt. Dad's is the same, though his retracts are quieter in transit.
              Chris...

Comment

I am curious to find out how many degrees down thrust this Staggerwing has

Comment

Working...
                X