X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexa Douglas C-47 1800mm (70.8")

Motion folks...I'm very interested in this air frame...have there been any updates to this Nexa version from when it was sold under a previous label?

Thanks in advance!

Just ordered this from MRC and should be in Australia in about a week. Having a read through the manual there are some faults that stick out.
    First on page two it shows two glues CA and Epoxy, nowhere in the manual does it show the use of Epoxy ???
    Next is the outer wing locating dowels says " dowel is rectangular with the rip " So just join the wing, don't know about the rip or the rectangular
    Again nowhere in the manual does it show how the fuse joins the wing, I should imagine it will be self evident
    Also why would they not run three blade props ?

Comment

Does anyone have any idea where the holes on top of the main wing are supposed to be cut.
      As I've been all over it and cannot feel where the holes are under the covering, I am guessing that they have not been cut
      This is for the motor leads to exit
      Thanks

Comment

The landing gear seems very flimsy in the photos.
        Does anyone have any experience flying this model off grass?

Comment

I have the motors and esc for awile now, plane still on the shopping cart for a awile. Looking for same Q’s you did pilots . I’m very attempt, something little different and in a good size. I’m waiting few more weeks to see if Motion will present any new products....
          i know already sooner then later i will get the C-47 aswell ....

Comment

Mine should be delivered tomorrow. I’ve read the manual a couple of times and I’m sure that things will become self evident once I get building. This was the case with the VQ Twin Otter. Insofar as what glues to use, like the Twin Otter, I use what I have and that’s FoamTac and epoxy where I feel will do the job. Don’t let the name “Foam”Tac mislead you. It’s just a form of contact cement.
            Holes? I don’t worry about those either. If there aren’t any under the covering, I just make my own. Just make sure you make them in a place that won’t be exposed when the wing is mounted to the fuse. These balsa ARF’s require some hobby building experience. If this is your first one, I can see your confusion. You can use it as a learning experience and mistakes hopefully can be corrected without damaging the plane. Personally, I would not have picked this one as the first one.
            The plans call for this to be a 3 cell plane. I prefer more power so I’ll be using the motors from my OV-10 (which I upgraded to more powerful motors). It’s a 4 cell power train and I’ll be using the ESCs from an old SebArt MiG 29 (65A). I can’t comment on the retract until I’ve seen them, but they have to be stronger than the ones on my old HobbyKing C-47. Those were garbage. I also have a whole assortment of wheels. If I feel the stock ones are too small for grass, I’ll just put on the biggest tires I have that will fit.

Comment

Soundgood Xviper, lucky you. On the 3S ... 3200mah will work ? I was reafy to get the bronco aswell ( balsa) but as you know is been out of stock for a minute now, the c-47 was an alternative.
              i feel something new is around the corner...

Comment

Originally posted by Griffon Wings View Post
                Soundgood Xviper, lucky you. On the 3S ... 3200mah will work ? I was reafy to get the bronco aswell ( balsa) but as you know is been out of stock for a minute now, the c-47 was an alternative.
                i feel something new is around the corner...
                Can't say if that one battery will work. If it's like the VQ Twin Otter, on 4 cells, it needs 2 X 3000mah to balance right - I used the motors and 3-blade props from a HobbyKing Albatross. I also plan on using a pair of counter-rotating MAS 3-blade props on this C-47. I have the Flightline Bronco motors.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  Can't say if that one battery will work. If it's like the VQ Twin Otter, on 4 cells, it needs 2 X 3000mah to balance right - I used the motors and 3-blade props from a HobbyKing Albatross. I also plan on using a pair of counter-rotating MAS 3-blade props on this C-47. I have the Flightline Bronco motors.
                  hey thank you for the replay , love the idea of counter-rotating props. Which yet i have those already here too. I just need to make my mind and decide.
                  thank you again for the infos, appreciated!

Comment

Got one on the rack right now. Center wing nacelles mounted. Strut assembly aligned. There is absolutely no information about anything electrical. Nothing. You will have to figure out how to get your Battery cables from the esc's up to the fuse battery compartment. This will get you started but don't believe everything you see or hear either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrVBtyvz6Jo Good luck
                    In the Hanger
                    Too many to count

Comment

Originally posted by Guy.Caputo@bex.net View Post
                      Got one on the rack right now. Center wing nacelles mounted. Strut assembly aligned. There is absolutely no information about anything electrical. Nothing. You will have to figure out how to get your Battery cables from the esc's up to the fuse battery compartment. This will get you started but don't believe everything you see or hear either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrVBtyvz6Jo Good luck
                      I see you have 4 parts to this build. Looking forward to watching them when I have more time. Thanks for giving us the heads up. As I hinted at before, these balsa ARFs aren't for the total novice RC builder. A few things are always up to the end user to figure out. Instructions are more like "guides" rather than a complete and comprehensive step by step.

Comment

Just unboxed the C-47. Very good quality. For the person who was worried about the tires/retracts being inadequate for grass ops, worry not. It comes with 3" tires and very strong looking components in the strut assembly. The retracts are the biggest I've seen since being in this hobby. I can't say about their function but they are very stout in appearance. I doubt I'll need to use any bigger tires or worry about them holding up during rough landings. The build will be similar to the Twin Otter - lots and lots of little and big parts that need to be "jig sawed" together. The TO took me 2 to 3 weeks of a couple of hours each day. This one should be about the same. Many of the components are the same.
                        For the person who was wondering about where to put the holes on the top side to run wiring through, I've out up a picture of the main wing section with a light shining from behind. You can see all the holes in that section. If one hole isn't big enough, just join 2 holes when you cut out the covering to make a bigger oval hole. (Do that within the boundaries of the fuselage so all the holes are within the internal opening.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3801.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	299654
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3802.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	299655
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3803.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.7 KB ID:	299656
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3804.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.0 KB ID:	299657

Comment

Roger that Xviper, thank you for sharing.
                          will you post any videos on the tube or more pics during the assembly on the squawk?
                          Thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffon Wings View Post
                            Roger that Xviper, thank you for sharing.
                            will you post any videos on the tube or more pics during the assembly on the squawk?
                            Thank you in advance.
                            A video would be many, many weeks away as we're still in winter's grip. We don't get a clear runway till well into April.
                            Don't know about pics. I may put up a couple that might be of interest. "Flying Tiger RC" (linked in his post above) actually has 7 videos on YouTube showing some of the salient points of his build, although his was the early VQ version. He also shows his maiden flight video in the last of the series, complete with tip stall and crash on take off. He fixed it real nice and it does fly pretty good.
                            The current MotionRC version (Nexa) has the retracts installed and some other parts already done out of the box. I have all part necessary to complete the build except for missing one standard servo, which I'll go get today. I have to finish the repairs of my AL-37 once the parts arrive today. It's taking up ALL of my hobby table at the moment.

Comment

Yes i remember the video of him ( Flying tiger rc ) , was the only point of reference i had so far .
                              i’m still very interested , infact i’m try to “ hurry up” to finish the giant zero . And that girl keep lot of room on the table . Going gas, wish to had 3-4 more models on balsa this year in the hangar ( black horse/nexa ) .
                              thank you for the repaly, appreciated .

Comment

Those videos are NOT of me nor did I do them. I just happened to find them while googling Douglas DC-3 RC Airplane. Has some good ideas but don't just do what he says.
                                In the Hanger
                                Too many to count

Comment

I decided to take some pics of the build just for my own records, so here's what I've got so far:

I only follow the instructions loosely and do things in an order that makes more sense to me.
                                  After the usual unboxing to do inventory and check condition of parts, next came the ironing. Most parts were very good out of the box. Only the tail sections were wrinkly. Before and after pics ..............
                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3805.JPG
Views:	661
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	300372Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3806.JPG
Views:	645
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	300373

Tested retracts and then started to install the servos in the wings. Used old 9g servos from previously retired FMS planes for flaps and the original stock elevator servos from the Freewing MiG 29 that Motion replaced with higher torque ones. The original servos will do fine for the ailerons. All servo slots had to be trimmed slightly for easier fitment.

Name:	IMG_3807.JPG
Views:	709
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	300374

Running the wiring after cutting a couple of holes where all of it will feed through. I didn't have any "Y's" left, so I just soldered the 4 flaps servo wires together to make my own. The others are in pairs.

Name:	IMG_3808.JPG
Views:	628
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	300375

Comment

There you are !!! This is exactly what we need ! Thank you XVIPER for sharing. If i was on the edges before now you totally push me in !
                                    Even a new plane , after the iron’s done look so much better .
                                    THANK YOU for the post and comments. Got the mig too mean i still have the set replacement servo for the elevator. Way to safe money, specially in this day’s.
                                    cheers

Comment

I only had to buy one standard servo. Motors/props from OV-10, ESCs from SebArt MiG29. This plane was originally meant for IC engines so finding the right place to put the ESCs and running the wires will be interesting. A lot of fiddly work. Just installed the motor mounts and about to work on the tail sections.

Comment

Next phase:

Motor mounts installed:
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3809.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.4 KB ID:	300719

Tail wheel assembled and installed and rod attached:
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3810.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.8 KB ID:	300720

Tail assembly complete:
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3813.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.5 KB ID:	300721Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3811.JPG Views:	0 Size:	178.0 KB ID:	300722

Main interior servos installed, push rods connected, tail surfaces neutralized via TX/RX.
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3812.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.2 KB ID:	300723

Motors installed and distance from firewall to prop base set:
                                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3814.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.1 KB ID:	300724

NOTE: There was NOT nearly enough washers and nuts in the kit to do all the assembly. Luckily, I have plenty of these collected over the years from dead planes. Anyone doing a "first" build of such a kit, will likely be cussing for having to go to the fastener shop or contacting Motion for the missing parts.

Comment

Working...
                                        X