Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1540mm Spitfire Mk. IX - ARF Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dredging up an old thread, but as this one is it for this plane and assuming you're still around, thanks for the very detailed build thread! Seriously looking at this one...my modeling skilz should still be up to par, but would you recommend this plane as a first ARF?

Comment

The landing gear is absolute garbage. I rarely fly mine because of it. The wheels camber back and forth terrible too. Tons of slop.

Comment

Originally posted by demo50 View Post
        The landing gear is absolute garbage. I rarely fly mine because of it. The wheels camber back and forth terrible too. Tons of slop.
        Good to know, thanks...I tend to be a bit heavy-handed on gear anyway, grass doesn't help!

Comment

Just now getting back to this thread (6 months too late). But to answer your question, NO this would not be a good first ARF.
          If you're still new to the hobby I would start with a simply foamy trainer ARF list the Apprentice. When you're ready to go balsa warbird, try to get a Hangar 9. Their products are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by cjordan View Post
            Just now getting back to this thread (6 months too late). But to answer your question, NO this would not be a good first ARF.
            If you're still new to the hobby I would start with a simply foamy trainer ARF list the Apprentice. When you're ready to go balsa warbird, try to get a Hangar 9. Their products are excellent.
            Mulling it over myself. Already have a few warbirds, 40-odd planes in total of varying types. Couple things in my mind, though, that seem odd.

1: Why so heavy? I have Nexa's similarly sized Zero and it's only 7 pounds or so. Still on the heavy side for a 40-size ship but it flies like a homesick angel. I don't even use the flaps on it and it's still off the ground of its own accord in something like 30-40 feet before I can even get the throttle more than halfway open. Your Spit came out at 9 pounds?! That's high for a 60size but on a 40size airframe...where's the extra two pounds?

2: The ventilation problems you're having are a bit worrying, too. I don't fly electric. My Zero has a Saito 82 on it and I had no cooling problems, but I've got a YS FZ53 4-stroke in my hand that needs a home and I'm thinking a narrow-nose 40-size warbird would be perfection for it because it makes the same power as a Saito 82 or OS FS70(And WWAAAYYY more 'git' than the NGH 9cc Motion recommends for fuel flight!) but fits in the cowl better than the larger engines do. But at the same time I don't wanna cook it...it's entirely possible the jug will poke out the bottom of the nose and the cooling would be moot for me, but perhaps not? Hmm.

3: The landing gear thing is annoying for sure. Looks to be the same exact struts they recommend for the Zero, though. Having to molest the wing with a dremel to get the wheels facing the right direction when deployed and having them toed in severely when cleaned up is aggrivating, but if I do get this airframe I'll be sure to make the same modifications. I fly off pavement so I'm not worried about any other issues with the retracts.

Comment

Well, I’m glad that there’s something out there on this plane. I purchased it a a year ago or so and it’s been in the box. I did remember looking at an unboxing where the individual said that the landing gear was definitely a major problem. I figured I’ll deal with it when the time comes well the time has come. I am going to attempt mine in a few days and I’m very happy that you guys have been really on the ball and posted your assembly steps. I’m going to follow your suggestions as well and hopefully mine comes out and flies as good as it has for you other guys.

Comment

Working...
              X