Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Nexa 1800mm Douglas C-47 - ARF Thread

Douglas C-47 1800mm (70.8") Wingspan - ARF from Nexa - NXA1012-001

The Douglas C-47 Skytrain or Dakota (RAF, RAAF, RCAF, RNZAF, and SAAF designation) is a military transport aircraft developed from the civilian Douglas DC-3 airliner. It was used extensively by the Allies during World War II and remained in front-line service with various military operators for many years.

The Nexa Douglas C-47 is a 70" wingspan electric scale series warbird, constructed primarily from balsa wood and covered with a fuel-resistant covering. This ARF requires assembly and installation of your choice of servos and power system, and includes painted pilot, antenna and other scale details. The large battery hatch affords ample room for either electric or gas setups. To complete the scale appeal of this C-47, the model includes electric retracts and scale struts. Impress at your flying field with this iconic stunner!
    Fully Covered and Detailed

The Nexa Douglas C-47 comes fully covered including simulated panel lines, rivets, nomenclature and weathering detail.
    Scale Details Throughout

There is no shortage of scale details with this C-47 including split flaps, painted pilot, electric retracts and metal main struts.
    Prehinged and Installed Control Surfaces

All control surfaces come out of the box fully prehinged and installed for your convenience.
    Impressive Size Yet Easy To Transport

To add to the array of scale detail, the Nexa C-47 comes with a 70" wingspan but the wings are easy to remove for transport.
    FEATURES:
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Covered from tip to tail in scale details including weathering, printed simulated panel lines and rivets
    • Fiberglass cowlings for strength and durability
    • The hand-painted pilot is ready for your added cockpit details
    • All control surfaces come out of the box pre-hinged and installed for convenience
    • Large battery hatch allows for your chosen electric or gas setup
    INCLUDES:
    • Nexa Douglas C-47 1800mm (70.8") Wingspan - ARF
    • Electric retracts, wheels and struts
    • Fuel tank, hardware and servo trays
    REQUIRES:Customer Note
    Nexa ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).
    PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

AGE LEVEL : 14 AND UP
    SKILL LEVEL : INTERMEDIATE
    BUILD TIME : 6+ HOURS
    Model Scale 1/16
    Wingspan 1800mm / 70.8in
    Length 1200mm / 47.2in
    Weight 3175.15g / 112oz
    CG (Center of Gravity) 100-110mm from the leading edge of the wing's root
    Power System 2x 950kV Brushless outrunner motors (required)
    Electronic Speed Control 2x 45A (required)
    Propeller / EDF 1x 10x7 standard and 1x 10x7 reverse electric propellers (required)
    Servos 45g metal gear standard: left aileron, right aileron, elevator, rudder
    9g metal gear standard: left outboard flap, left inboard flap, right outboard flap, right inboard flap
    Landing Gear Electric retractable (included)
    Required Battery TWO 3 Cell 11.1V 5000 mAh LiPo Batteries (required)
    Required Radio 6+ Channel (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Lights No
    Hinge Type Nylon
    Material Balsa and light plywood
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 6+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors

Is there any info on the retract setup, I have an old VQ version with no retracts but would.love to try and upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Pacro View Post
      Is there any info on the retract setup, I have an old VQ version with no retracts but would.love to try and upgrade
      If you go to the product page for this plane at MotionRC, you will see more information. https://www.motionrc.com/collections...escription-tab
      You can look at the spare parts list and see what the retracts and parts look like. You can also go to "support" on that page and see the build manual and see some stuff about the retracts.
      Lastly, you can go to the Nexa C-47 thread and see a bunch of pictures posted that may show you something useful.
      Motion folks...I'm very interested in this air frame...have there been any updates to this Nexa version from when it was sold under a previous label? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Thanks, but I'd like to buy the setup, right now MRC only has the electronic retract and not the struts which is what I want

Comment

Motion appears to be the only authorized distributor in N. America. You can click on the “notify me when stock is back” and wait. Or, you can contact Motion and ask them when stuff will be available.

Comment

I'd love to hear some flight reports.

Comment

Originally posted by djmoose View Post
              I'd love to hear some flight reports.
              Since the last post on the other C-47 thread, I did get the plane finished and maidened it. The very first flight was a disaster. It's a bit weird to get it rolling straight as it tends to weather vane and wander all over the runway. As a result, I gave it lots of throttle to try and take off as soon as the plane was pointed down the runway after one of those "wandering minstrel" rolls. Well, it got airborne but way too soon. There wasn't enough airspeed for it to actually fly and it dropped a wing and smashed nose first into the ground. After waiting for a couple of weeks to get new parts, I fixed it up really well so you can't really see that it was damaged.
              The re-maiden was so much better as I figured out how to get it rolling straight and true and build up sufficient airspeed before letting it take off. Even still, it does tip stall very easily if the power is down in a turn. I experimented with the stall up high and witnessed first hand why it crashed the first take off. My plane is built as a 4S power system and it's somewhat underpowered but adequate. I think it would have been better (for me) if it was built as a 6S system. It's a very heavy plane, quite draggy, so needs to be flown at high throttle, especially when doing banked turns. If throttle is kept 3/4 to full all the time, it's flies quite well and is very stable. I'm using a Spektrum AS3X RX with gains optimized for this plane. I will fly it again probably next week and see if I can fly it with the gyro turned off. If it will, I'll put in a non-gyro RX as I can use the Spek in another plane.
              One thing that has been a little problematic has been one retract. There are some articulations in the strut assembly that the grub screws simply can't hold things solid and on two landings, one retract collapsed. Since the wheel doesn't fully retract anyway, no damage was done. I've since reinforced the mechanism with glue on the screw threads and even used epoxy on the parts that should not move or bend. Will see next time out how that holds. All in all, I quite like the plane and it'll stay in my collection till I crash it real bad.
              It's stunning to see both on the ground and in the air. From a distance, it looks like the real thing. I'll see if I have the time to get a video next time I fly it.

Comment

Thanks for the flight report. I saw a real one at the Cleveland Air Show yesterday and....well, you know how it is...even if you've already loved a plane...when you see one in the air...I was like...I need to re-consider the Nexa. The problem with the C-47 (my opinion) is that there aren't many really good flying ones (RC models). Even the Top Flite C-47 / DC-3 seems to have had similar descriptions of flight performance.

This might be a plane that is destined to be successful flying model as a real big foam version. Keeping the overall weight down...messing with the wings to help with stalling.

Comment

I have had two Dynam ones. First one was the DC3 Skytrain. The second was their C-47. Both were quite decent flyers but I got rid of the DC3 to get their C-47 and I got rid of that one for the Nexa C-47. Quite frankly, the Dynam ones flew better but could also have used more power. The Nexa C-47 really needs more power but can be flown quite satisfactorily if due consideration is given to flying it at high throttle positions. If I were to do it again, I'd go with bigger, higher KV motors, keeping it 4S or go for 6S power.

Comment

I am sad to report that my Nexa C-47 has been retired. I took it to the field today and the very first flight of the day, it did what this plane typically does - it lifted off the ground due to ground effect and was NOT ready to fly. After leaving ground effect, it stalled, dropped a wing and went in nose first. One retract even collapsed just rolling down the runway. It's a very poor design although they do look good. Damage was significant although easily fixable. However, I've decided not to fix it. It has been a tremendous disappointment for me. It looks so nice in the air and actually lands quite well. It simply will not consistently take off without drama and this takes all the fun out of it. It's a well made kit and the quality is extremely good. If all I wanted was a beautiful static model, I would be happy with it. It's a love/hate kind of deal. I love the looks of it but I hate the way it has to be babied just to get off the ground safely. In retrospect, the C-47 to have is the Dynam one even though it's just a cheap "foamie".
                    Thinking back to when I had the old HobbyKing C-47, I don't feel nearly as bad about the Nexa version as the HK one was far worse in quality and flight characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      I am sad to report that my Nexa C-47 has been retired. I took it to the field today and the very first flight of the day, it did what this plane typically does - it lifted off the ground due to ground effect and was NOT ready to fly. After leaving ground effect, it stalled, dropped a wing and went in nose first. One retract even collapsed just rolling down the runway. It's a very poor design although they do look good. Damage was significant although easily fixable. However, I've decided not to fix it. It has been a tremendous disappointment for me. It looks so nice in the air and actually lands quite well. It simply will not consistently take off without drama and this takes all the fun out of it. It's a well made kit and the quality is extremely good. If all I wanted was a beautiful static model, I would be happy with it. It's a love/hate kind of deal. I love the looks of it but I hate the way it has to be babied just to get off the ground safely. In retrospect, the C-47 to have is the Dynam one even though it's just a cheap "foamie".
                      Thinking back to when I had the old HobbyKing C-47, I don't feel nearly as bad about the Nexa version as the HK one was far worse in quality and flight characteristics.
                      Bit of a shame you couldn't get yours to take off properly. I've been eyeing this thing for ages as I've always been fond of this airframe, always wanted one in my collection....and I fly exclusively fuel. I'd probably be using a pair of Saito 40s for power as they'll swing a 10-7-3 prop like a boss. Use one on another plane, turns that prop at 9500 static all day long. 3.45lbs static thrust, pitch speed 68mph. Two of them should be plenty for a C-47 of this size. Thrust/weight ratio around 1:1 and plenty of airspeed available.

If you couldn't get the thing to fly on electric when it should have more power than it knows what to do with what hope do I have getting it aloft on nitro?! Oh well.

Comment

Anyone have detailed assembly instructions for Nexa C47? The one that came in the box are severely lacking. I think it’s a cool model but I’m stuck with getting wiring for motors into the center section. If I had known it would be so difficult I would not have bought it

Comment

Working...
                        X