Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Discussion Thread: Bancroft 1/20 scale DP58 St. Tropez Luxury Yacht

Bancroft 1/20 scale DP58 St. Tropez Luxury Yacht RTR (Ready-To-Run)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DP58_RealisticScale.jpg Views:	2 Size:	144.0 KB ID:	241501

Can an RC Boat be "luxurious"? Why, yes, yes it can.

Meet the Bancroft DP58 St. Tropez, a high scale luxury motor yacht delivered as Ready to Run (RTR)! Sporting a durable molded hull and genuine wood decking, the St. Tropez can be sailing in mere minutes. Arriving fully assembled and painted, this yacht includes a battery, charger, 2.4Ghz radio and pre-installed receiver, ESC, steering servo, motor, and associated running gear. Simply charge the battery and insert it into the hull, insert four AAs into the radio, and begin cruising your local pond, lake, or pool.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DP58_Hero.jpg Views:	5 Size:	145.0 KB ID:	241523

What is immediately striking on this boat is the genuine wood decking that is installed throughout the model. Molded plastic cabin furniture including the integrated open-air dinette are accentuated by metal railings. The laser cut wood deck wraps around the main deck and continues aft throughout the sole and onto swimming platform.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DP58_GenuineWoodDeck.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	241499Click image for larger version  Name:	DP58_DetailedStern.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	241498

Metal and mixed media parts form the pulpit, anchor, anchor chain, and bow railings to enhance the bow's scale fidelity. This yacht also includes a basic wooden display stand for when you're not out on the water. This doubles as a transport stand, to keep the rudder and propeller suspended in the air.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DP58_DetailedBow.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.1 KB ID:	241497

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

The DP58 is geared toward beginning RC Boats and Scale Enthusiasts alike. The flying bridge section can be removed for easier transport or for easier access to electronics and DIY scale additions. A single motor and rudder drives this double chined V hulled boat through the water at satisfying speeds that are faster than scale but still safe enough not to risk too severe damage if accidentally driven onto rocks. Thankfully the molded ABS hull has proven to be very durable.

All of the waterproofing work is done at the factory, with both the rudder shaft hole and the screw (propeller) shaft hole using stuffing tubes that were properly greased to limit water intrusion. I've found operating this good sized luxury yacht to be hassle-free so far without any need for maintenance or tweaking. It is truly a well-balanced, Ready-To-Run boat! Optional scale figures may be offered in the future to elevate the realism even ruther.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DP58_MagneticHatch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.2 KB ID:	241507 Click image for larger version  Name:	DP58_EfficientMotor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	243136

The forward third of the hull will plane at full speed, and it is very nimble for a model its size. It isn't a speed racer, but isn't slow, either, comfortably reaching ~80kts scale speed. I prefer mid-throttle passes that are still faster than scale but satisfyingly "slow and smooth". This would make an excellent platform for a waterproof action camera, and there is ample space for installing your own LEDs or other scale details.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DP58_ScalePlusSpeed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.7 KB ID:	241508

In summation, the Bancroft 1/20 scale DP58 St. Tropez is a true luxury motor yacht that can be displayed on a shelf with pride and also driven on the water with ease. Its convenient 2.4Ghz radio system does all it needs to do reliably and the RTR (Ready-To-Run) format allows new RC Boaters to get into the water within minutes of this boat's arrival to their doorstep. In that sense, this motor yacht really excels in finding a balance between satisfying size, ease-of-use, ease-of-transport, out-of-the-box scale fidelity and display quality, and also DIY/customization potential for RC Boaters who want to explore taking the stock boat's detail even further. Its classic lines are so different from the warships and speedboats and sailboats that are often seen at RC clubs, so if you want to stand out with something new, the Bancroft 1/20 scale DP58 yacht deserves your consideration.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DP58_Classic.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.0 KB ID:	241506

Comment

Reserved for video!

Comment

Finally! A yacht I can actually afford!
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Looking forward to this, please post a vid of it running!

Comment

Originally posted by Gflowers View Post
            Hey Gflowers, welcome to Hobby Squawk! We are definitely working on getting more videos of all of these options and will update the thread soon. Are you mostly an RC boat guy? I always love to hear how new members found our forum and what their RC interests are.

Comment

I’m mostly a plane and quad guy, but have had boats in the past. Looking for a nice scale cruiser boat

Comment

Originally posted by Gflowers View Post
                Just a tease for you Gflowers

Comment

Thanks! Nice teaser vid! Send me one and I’ll do a neat review and use my DJI drone to get some cool vid footage of it on a lake in the Colorado Rockies! The folks at my flying club do twice monthly float plane fun flys, they will be impressed with this yacht!

Comment

Are there going to be aftermarket parts?

Comment

It looks nice. Let's have fun. I want to ask you guys if you know someone with good building experience that would build for me Graupner Moonraker kit I own.

Let me know some contact.

Comment

Anyone find some 1/20 scale figures for this yacht?

Comment

Most def can be my next build..

Comment

I decided to mod my St. Tropez II with LED "body lights" and a string light, to make it look better at night. Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jmSwGLnGtk

Comment

Working...
                            X