P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Discussion: Bancroft 24" Swordfish Deep V Raceboat RTR (Ready to Run)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Discussion: Bancroft 24" Swordfish Deep V Raceboat RTR (Ready to Run)

Bancroft 24" Swordfish Deep V Raceboat RTR (Ready to Run)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SpeedsharkBrushed_RaceReady.jpg Views:	1 Size:	83.2 KB ID:	242447

As exhilarating as it is easy to drive, the Bancroft Swordfish delivers speed, control, and style in a convenient Ready To Run (RTR) package. Open the box, charge the included 3s 2800mAh battery with the included battery charger, insert your own AA batteries into the included 2.4Ghz radio transmitter, and toss the boat into the water! All of the electronics are pre-installed, and the boat's running gear is setup for balanced speed and maneuverability out of the box without any additional adjustment. The Bancroft Swordfish sports a slick racing scheme in either a red-orange or a yellow colorway, accented by a gloss black hull and race-inspired decals.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SpeedsharkBrushed_Hero.jpg Views:	1 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	242443

In a raceboat, water ingress is bad, bad thing. To greatly reduce this risk, the Bancroft Swordfish's hatch is secured with a metal thumbscrew through the hatch and into a threaded hex nut molded into the hull. I especially like the adhesive foam weatherstripping that lines the recessed channel. This design provides a watertight fit, and the molded-in metal nut can be tightened without fear of stripping. I have stripped plastic threads in the past, so I'm glad to see all metal in the Swordfish!

The Bancroft Swordfish's power system uses high quality components including a Hobbywing "Sea King" 40A ESC. Both the ESC and the brushless outrunner motor are water cooled, drawing water in through a port side inlet and piping it over the ESC and motor before exiting out the transom.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SpeedsharkBrushed_QualityPower.jpg Views:	1 Size:	158.2 KB ID:	242446Click image for larger version  Name:	SpeedsharkBrushed_WaterproofHatch.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	242448

A one-piece molded Deep V design hull with smartly positioned strakes impart crucial stability to the Swordfish. The ABS hull is rigid enough to sustain the forces of high speed runs, yet supple enough to give a gentle ride.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SpeedsharkBrushed_DurableHull.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.4 KB ID:	242442Click image for larger version  Name:	SpeedsharkBrushed_ScaleSpeeds.jpg Views:	1 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	242445

Speed is worthless without control, so the Bancroft Swordfish sports an all-metal control and stability system. Metal turn fins are pre-installed; their shape and geometry is optimized specifically for the Swordfish's speed and weight, stabilizing its turns at both medium and high speeds through both smooth and choppy water. These turn fins greatly reduce the risk of a barrel roll, which must be avoided considering this boat does not self-right.

Trim tabs are also incorporated to the fixed turn fins. In practice, I didn't find any reason to want to adjust their positioning. For the RTR power system, the boat is essentially trimmed out-of-the-box. For a non-professional raceboat for people getting into the hobby, I appreciate the fixed hardware, which eliminates the potential complexities with adjustable mechanisms.

A robust all-metal rudder assembly keeps the Bancroft Swordfish tracking exactly where you point it. I have dug into a few of the reeds hiding under the waterline near my racing pond, and I'm glad the metal rudder shrugged off forces that may have broken a weaker rudder at high speeds. Although the Swordfish RTR includes a basic display stand, at the shoreline I'm confident enough in the metal rudder to simply rest the boat on it and keep the prop clear of the shoreline rocks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SpeedsharkBrushed_HiSpeedRunGear.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	242449Click image for larger version  Name:	SpeedsharkBrushed_MetalRudd.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.3 KB ID:	242444
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Click image for larger version  Name:	250mph Equivalent Scale Speeds.JPG Views:	1 Size:	148.7 KB ID:	242455

The Bancroft Swordfish is also available in a bright yellow colorway, thankfully distinct enough from the red-orange colorway. Speaking from personal experience, crashing into one another negotiating a high speed turn is something best avoided!

An optimized "Deep-V" hull and the aforementioned pre-configured turning fins and carefully selected prop give the Bancroft Swordfish excellent handling in all common conditions. Glassy water is fun to turn in, with minimal sliding thanks to the turning fins. Choppy water is fun in a straight line, as the hull "sticks" to the crests and seems to ride above the waves instead of having to power through them. The hull's sub-30 degree deadrise gives a connected feel and I never feel like the nose is out of control, which is a hallmark of a well designed hull.

Acceleration is good with the provided battery, and I'm sure a higher C rating or larger capacity battery will be put to good use. I do not recommend using a higher voltage than what is provided in the box. While the included ESC can handle higher voltage, I would be wary of the resulting rpm's load on the screw (propeller). Non-factory setups would be the sole responsibility of the DIY driver, so proceed with caution if you intend to push this boat beyond its stock power system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01518.JPG Views:	1 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	242452Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01516.JPG Views:	1 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	242454

From any angle, the Bancroft Swordfish is a raceboat, true and true. I like its sharp lines and semi-scale deck based on popular offshore powerboats blended with the practical geometry for an electric boat of this size and pricepoint. The black gloss lower hull brings both colorways together, just don't ask me to choose which one I like better!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01520.JPG Views:	1 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	242453Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01514.JPG Views:	4 Size:	126.0 KB ID:	242451

With an economical battery and satisfying speed, the Bancroft Swordfish Deep V is an easy recommendation for "First Boat" for ages 14 years to 104. It is easy to control, requires zero assembly, and virtually zero maintenance to stay running at peak performance. Given the pre-installed electronics and pre-setup control geometry, all the "math" has already been done for you, making this quite literally a "Grab It and Go" boat.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SpeedsharkBrushed_RTR.jpg
Views:	1347
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	243049

Comment

Are these boats sell righting? Is there a reason for not using more common Lipo batteries? I do not buy the fire part as in the tanks.

Comment

Does Bancroft now or plan to offer self-righting speed boats? I'm impressed with their design and out-of-the-box set-up. My young nephew will be pleased, I'm sure (just asking for him, you understand). If Bancroft does not (or will not) offer said self-righting boat, can anyone here recommend one? TIA.

Comment

terrhaus Welcome! Yes, we will be bringing in more self-righting boat designs including the Bancroft Jet Boat and eventually several others.

Comment

What is the speed of this Swordfish?
            Thank you.

Comment

Hey guys we posted our unboxing video and set up video of the Swordfish check it out here

Comment

Just got this boat but the instructions are not the best. Regarding the battery charger, what color do the lights turn when battery is fully charged. This is not described in the instructions. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastergunner View Post
                  Just got this boat but the instructions are not the best. Regarding the battery charger, what color do the lights turn when battery is fully charged. This is not described in the instructions. Thanks for the help.
                  That lights will be red when charging and turn green when done

Comment

I love this boat! Very stable. I can't wait to run it on choppy water!

Comment

Working...
                    X