You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Discussion Thread: Bancroft 1/200 scale RMS Titanic Liner - Ready-To-Run (RTR)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last week I received a long-awaited email from Motion RC saying the Bancroft Titanic was now in stock. I've ordered, and plan to post a receiving to maidening review. Anyone else of a similar mind? NB: Motion seems to have some in-house confusion with regard to the scale and size of the Titanic being offered for sale. Some of their promos indicate a 1/150 scale (70.8") boat, others list 1/200 (53.5"), and some even mix up the specs, e.g., 1/200 (70.8"). I plainly ordered the 70.8" 'version', so we'll just have to see what arrives. More later. Ron

Comment

Ronwey, Looking forward to your report and seeing pictures of your beautiful new ship. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I received my 70 inch…….,well actually 53.5 inch, model today. I was immediately surprised at the size difference because I was expecting a 70 inch, which this one obviously is not. I called Motion RC as soon as I ran a tape measure on it. They were polite on the phone and seemed that they were just as surprised when they received the model on their end. They had updated the website, but my order was put in prior to that update. I was offered a full refund and they’d cover return shipping. Now I’m having to decide whether or not to ship it back. I have a 48 inch model already, so it’s not that big of a jump in size as it would’ve been for the 70 inch, which is why I bought this one in the first place. The detail on the model is excellent though, much better than my other model, which is why I’d consider keeping it. The only other thing, which wasn’t a big deal to me but I did notice, is the decking on the bow and stern is wood while the rest of the decking on the removable structure is not actual wood so there’s a slight difference between those areas in appearance. I didn’t dig too much further into unpacking the model, as I’m still debating whether to return it or not, because of the size issue.

Comment

I'm informed that another Hobby Squawk participant has received a shorter that 70.8" Titanic, after having ordered a 70.8" model. I am awaiting the arrival of my order of a 70.8" version. If Motion RC is passing off smaller Titanic versions without having customers' preapproval, and at a ~$400.00 higher price, I think they will experience a high level of customer disappointment (distrust) and subsequent product returns. Ron.

Comment

Ronwey MichaelE , It has been my experience that MotionRC will 'do the right thing' by their customers. I, too, would be disappointed receiving a smaller scale than was advertised and ordered. Hope all turns out in your favor.. Best, LB
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Elbee. I definitely agree with you. I’ve been happy with them during this. It was my first order, but I would definitely use them again. As soon as they offered to let me return it for a full refund and that they’d pay the shipping etc, I was completely satisfied with Motion RC. You can’t really ask for more than that. Sure, I’m a little disappointed because I wanted a larger model, but with an option for a full refund, I have absolutely no problem with Motion RC. They’ve been very easy to get a hold of and do business with, and sounds like they might’ve been given bad information on the size as well. Now it’s on me to decide whether to send it back or not. It really is a great looking model though. Because of that, I’ll probably still just end up keeping it, because even at 53.5 inches, it still looks spectacular.

Comment

Well, I've joined up with whomever else has ordered the 70" Titanic and been surprised (and perplexed) to receive a smaller 53" version instead. For Motion RC, this was an easily foreseeable and avoidable disappointment (for their customers), some of whom had been waiting patiently for more than two years. What were they thinking? Oh well, maybe next time will be different. Forever hopeful. Ron

Comment

Mee to. Just got the 53" today expecting the 70". A little bummed, I was hoping to show it off at the model yacht pond on Sunday.

Opened a ticket with Motion RC.

Comment

Just heard back from Motion RC. Very quick response and explained the mix up and polite in the message. They offered a return shipping label. I had asked if the have a 70" version and that I would be willing, and that I expected, to pay more.

Comment

Well, my heart is still set on a ~70" version of the Titanic, so I've gotten the return label for the 53" version. Haven't a clue as to why Motion RC sent me, without notice and without my agreement to accept, the (surprise) 'short' version. I didn't even open the box, however I've heard that some who have looked it over may decide to keep it. I'm sure from their description of it that they will be very happy. I am not. I'm truly disappointed in this turn of events. Like 'bmunger', I had planned to show it off at the pond (Spreckels Lake at San Francisco Model Yacht Club) on Sunday. Maybe someday! Ever hopeful. Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ronwey View Post
                        Well, my heart is still set on a ~70" version of the Titanic, so I've gotten the return label for the 53" version. Haven't a clue as to why Motion RC sent me, without notice and without my agreement to accept, the (surprise) 'short' version. I didn't even open the box, however I've heard that some who have looked it over may decide to keep it. I'm sure from their description of it that they will be very happy. I am not. I'm truly disappointed in this turn of events. Like 'bmunger', I had planned to show it off at the pond (Spreckels Lake at San Francisco Model Yacht Club) on Sunday. Maybe someday! Ever hopeful. Ron
                        Small world. Maybe when we get our 70"ers, and we're at Spreckels Lake together, I'll put an "Olympic" removable decal on mine :)

Comment

I to was surprised with the size discrepancy and I pointed it to Motionrc over a year ago. I happened to be checking the shipment status when they coincidentally updated the dimensions. I had them place my order on hold, and open a package, photograph the model so as I could make a accurate assessment. They were polite and accommodating and I'm pleased to say I went ahead and had her delivered.

Upon opening the package I was immediately floored and continue to be with the quality and detail. I am thrilled with my decision to go for it. For the price and the fact I couldn't build to this level without it taking a year, I'm extremely happy. I'll let my pics do the talking. Ask away or if you want something specific let me know. There's now probably less than 20 in the country.

Comment

Hello to Chris75, and to others following this Bancroft Titanic Hobby Squawk thread. Special thanks to Chris for posting some wonderful photos of his 53.5" version, letting us all see just how good it looks as he has it displayed. I can easily understand why Chris is so happy with his choice to 'go for it' despite the changes from the 70.8" version. If all to whom receipt of the shorty was a surprise could have been so well 'informed' as Chris was in advance of the changes, perhaps the majority would have been accepting. Informing its customer base in advance would certainly have been a good, ethical and customer-centric marketing choice on behalf of the seller. Honesty and transparency in business is always the most solid foundation for an organization's product line and overall success. Well, every business makes some unfortunate decisions at times. Remember the 'NEW Coke' debacle?

Speaking for myself and a few others who have commented, who didn't have the foreknowledge of the major down-sizing and up-pricing, who may have been persuaded to accept the 'shorty' if they'd been informed of it by the seller in advance, I'm both surprised and disappointed in the seller for not making the changes known to those who had expressed interest in the 70.8" version and waited patiently over the past ~2.5 years for it to materialize. Nonetheless, for me, and my present 'tremors' that limit the degree of miniaturization I can accomplish for the detailing necessary to morph this good basic Titanic model into 'museum' quality, acceptance of the 53.5" model I received in error is simply not an option. That's me. I'm sure many will accept and thoroughly enjoy the short version Titanic.

Has anyone some photos of the innards to share, or perhaps a few comments from experiences encountered during sea trials?

With thanks and regards to all. Ron

Comment

I was thrilled to see this model FINALLY coming in stock recently, and was going to purchase mine today... however, I noticed the updated dimensions now read 1/200 scale, at 53.5". Just like the posts above mine in this thread, I find this downsizing from the original advertised size very disappointing. I thought this was the most recent iteration of the Graupner built hull at 1/150 scale, not a whole new model at a smaller 1/200 scale. I'm holding off on ordering one for now.

I already have a 1/150 scale R/C Titanic which I built from scratch, and was hoping this model would replace it (mine is made from insulation foam, I'm not sure how long my build will last). I don't want to go smaller than what I already have. Even the 70" model looks pretty small when it's out on the lake.

Comment

Hello Rogue_Pilot. Thanks for your post. There seems to be a growing number of like-minded folks sharing their feelings of disappointment about the surprising way they've been treated with the Bancroft Titanic model size switch. Surprising, because the seller is well regarded and has years of consistently high ratings for good customer support. Well, this too shall pass.

Hats off to you for your 1/150 scratch-built Titanic 'foamie'! I've used insulation foam to assist as a contoured nestling material in combination transport/display cases. I've thought about it as a modeling material for commercial ships and ocean liners (bread and butter build up and carve out method) but never tried it. Is that how you did it?

As for going forward from here, and I've been looking around for a 1/150 Titanic since 2010 (thinking I'd have one to sail at NY's Central Park Conservatory Water model boat pond to mark the 2012 100th anniversary of Titanic's sinking), I'll be on the lookout for a new or used offering at a swap meet or on eBay (or the like).

"Though my seeming pipe-dream bubble of a 1/150 Titanic has burst, like the Chinese 'weather balloon' recently shot from the sky, I'm bent on obtaining a model of sufficient size in order to have it sail prominently at the San Francisco Model Yacht Club (I moved from NY to CA in 2016)."

Best to you and all skippers, Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ronwey View Post
                                  Hats off to you for your 1/150 scratch-built Titanic 'foamie'! I've used insulation foam to assist as a contoured nestling material in combination transport/display cases. I've thought about it as a modeling material for commercial ships and ocean liners (bread and butter build up and carve out method) but never tried it. Is that how you did it?
                                  Thanks!
                                  I used 1/4" DOW insulation foam sheets, and built it as a shallow displacement waterline model. The foam is too fragile to build a full displacement hull (another reason I wanted this new fiberglass model). You would never know on the water that there isn't much below the surface. Here is the internal structure of my model:
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Scratch Build Foam Titanic 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	371116
                                  Showing below the water line, I have a stability fin to reduce wind drift, and the propeller/rudder assembly sticking out behind it.
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Scratch Built Foam Titanic 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.7 KB ID:	371117
                                  My completed model on a wood board for transportation.
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Scratch Built Foam Titanic 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	371118
                                  My foam model out on the water, where the shallow-displacement hull creates the illusion of a full model.
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Scratch Built Foam Titanic 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	371119

Comment

Motion RC sent the return label, but said they don't have a 70" version.

Comment

Rogue_Pilot, you've done a magnificent job! Thank you for your photos and description of the build. She looks great afloat! Is that John Allan Pond, in NY? I like the way you handled the wind and steering issues inherent with waterline RC ships and boats. I run both power and sail boats, mostly scale, sized from 70" on down to 17".

Though neither Bancroft brand Titanic promoted by the seller is 'museum' quality, not the 70" 'ghostship' nor the passed-off 53" 'shorty', each would be a candidate for additional scale detailing as well as installation of lights, smoke and sound (maybe even a distress flare). I looked forward to the 70" version to have an easier time detailing, in between my tremors. I'll keep looking, and post any news of any new suppliers. In the meantime, happy sailing!

All the best,
                                      Ron

Comment

bmunger, thanks for your update. The seller sent me a label as well. I'm ready to send the unit to them but have asked them first to provide their own covering return insurance for their mistaken shipment. I guess they've known for quite some time that they would not be offering the advertised 70" version. Too bad they didn't let us know (or ask us if we'd be interested in accepting "shorty") before they shipped without our approval. As I've said before, "What were they thinking?" Well, we boat modelers looking for large (~70") RTR Titanic vessels are pretty patient. So, our search is yet to end. I'll keep the group posted on whatever I discover (hope it's not another 2.5 years).
                                        All the best, Ron

Comment

Hello. I received my Titanic model from Motion RC last Saturday It came with holes in the box, model damaged and was upside down despite labels noting to keep upright. There are issue with the model as it is being advertised as 1/150 and dims of 71.5 inches. After I placed my order, the dims were changed to 53.5 inches. Scale was changed earlier. I did call Motion RC before the ship arrived. They noted the change as an error of the marketing manager. This gets better. Further, the photos on Motion RC website are of a larger model in 1/150 scale, not of the 1/200 scale. The wrong photos are still being posted on the model website. The quality is not as good. I have the larger 1/150 scale model from Graupner. that I purchased in 2016. The larger model is much superior to the 1/200 scale model from Motion RC.

The promenade and boat deck is not made of wood, but of painted plastic to look like wood. The lower decks are made of wood. This is not what was on the photos showing of the model. The details are less than the photos. Keep in mind., the website is showing the 1/150scale model of the Titanic. One can assume a bait and switch here. I tested the ship, it does run fine with limited rudder movement. One has to loosen the servo arm to reduce the tension. The set screws to lock down the upper superstructure is of large screws with caps that are blocking the bridge entrance and the middle of the boat deck. This is a nice model if you like a toy. It is not a high grade museum model. The price is too high for what you receive in a model of the Titanic. I would not recommend this model for the price.

Comment

Working...
                                          X