X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamiya 1/350 scale RC Yamato

Going to share a fun small scale RC Battleship build I did with the Tamiya kit in 1/350. I did make my own brass prop shafts out of brass tubing, very simple and I used the stock gearbox provided by Tamiya. They just hook up using rubber tubing and the plastic props I just glued on.
    Attached Files

As you can see the hull has a provision for 4 D size batteries to be used to power the single motor. I stuck a 4 AA battery pack under the second main turret to power the receiver. Two on/off switches were placed under the first turret and a rubber O ring glued to the hull to hold it on and also make it easily removable to access them.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here are just some basic pictures of it during construction and painting.
      Attached Files

Comment

For weathering I used artist oil colors and dry brushed a very very light coat of Titanium White over almost the whole ship. This gave a nice faded look to it and then some light rusting effects. less is sometimes better when you do weathering and you can always come back and add more later if you want.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is a great running model for a small pond on a calm day. The gearbox is a bit noisy but the Koi Fish love it and will follow around like enemy subs !
          Attached Files

Comment

Great job ! For an average person, is this something a person can successfully built and run? I am a very experienced plastic modeler but knows squat about installing electronics. Dai

Comment

Yes very simple! all you need is one servo, a very basic inexpensive 2 or 4 channel radio with a receiver and a small ESC. Not sure but I think the motor was even provided in the kit. Best part is you can test it in a bathtub.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooeleflyboy View Post
                Yes very simple! all you need is one servo, a very basic inexpensive 2 or 4 channel radio with a receiver and a small ESC. Not sure but I think the motor was even provided in the kit. Best part is you can test it in a bathtub.
                Can it be said with other larger offerings like Trumpeter 1/200 ships? I always thought " RC conversion" is hardcore difficult. Dai

Comment

It's not as hard as you would think. Worst part for me was stern tubes (shaft seals) when I tried my first RC conversion. My case was fairly easy for the electronics they came pretty much whole from another project. If you check Youtube there are a lot of how to videos and often local hobby stores employees have pretty good advice. Big challenge is building the modle and all the fiddly bits...Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200721-063328_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	278146Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_191414.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	278147Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_163434.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	278148Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_202829.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	278149Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_202801.jpg
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	278150Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_162824.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	278151
                  And Tooeleflyboy the electronics were out of a Parkzone Micro but from one of your pics I bet she looks familiar. Had to do a LOT of grinding to the deck under the superstructure.

Comment

So once you go to 1/200 scale that is where our Bancroft line comes in to play. It will cost you more to set one of those up for RC then to buy the Bancroft RTR ship. Trust me I looked at building the 1/200 scale Yamato and I was already past the cost of the Bancroft by the time you get all the things needed, plus you will not be working with a multi piece plastic hull but a one piece fiberglass with superior strength and more impact resistant. These Bancroft ships are really an amazing deal for the price and the work is already done. It just leaves you to go enjoy it or start modifying it the way you want. Lights, sound, smoke, moving turrets and a multi channel radio system upgrade can be easily installed. I think I even saw a post where they might release them in kit form at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by twodawgs View Post
                      It's not as hard as you would think. Worst part for me was stern tubes (shaft seals) when I tried my first RC conversion. My case was fairly easy for the electronics they came pretty much whole from another project. If you check Youtube there are a lot of how to videos and often local hobby stores employees have pretty good advice. Big challenge is building the modle and all the fiddly bits...Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200721-063328_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	278146Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_191414.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	278147Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_163434.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	278148Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_202829.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	278149Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_202801.jpg
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	278150Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_162824.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	278151
                      And Tooeleflyboy the electronics were out of a Parkzone Micro but from one of your pics I bet she looks familiar. Had to do a LOT of grinding to the deck under the superstructure.
                      That is an amazing miniature build! Does it try and capsize easily or is it stable?

Comment

Originally posted by Tooeleflyboy View Post

That is an amazing miniature build! Does it try and capsize easily or is it stable?

Between the motor and battery being fairly heavy they drop the center of gravity pretty low. I can roll her on her side far enough the aft two sections just barely touch the water and she'll right herself. But there is no real sealing and the main deck's plate had to be SERIOUSLY ground out and just sits inside the hull. Under all three sections, and then thinned as much as i dared. The superstructures and smoke stacks were thinned as well.
                        Downsides are I didn't get the STB shaft quite lined up and it sticks (have to tear too much apart to be worth fixing) so she just sort of LUNGES off the blocks.
                        The rudder really is too small for this application like I had NO control of which way she goes.
                        And yeah its and Micro RC plane ESC/Receiver so no revers. Its got one control for all intents and purposes. forward, Forward, or FORWARD OMFG NONONONONNOONNONONONONONO DONT TIP RUDDER PLZ WORK FOR LOVE OF....... She sits above my TV most of the time and the few times i put her in water I filled her with rice after to make sure everything dried back out.
                        I'll send a pic of the bottom of the plate from my phone so you can get an idea of how heavy handed i was with the Dremel. The hull got a bit of Dremel love too but nowhere near as much.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201001_175635.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	278201Click image for larger version  Name:	20201001_175547.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	278198Click image for larger version  Name:	20201001_175522.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	278199 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_62428.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	278200
                          The guns still turn and the control board just sits in. But she floats just below the normal waterline and upright. The battery does most of the side to side balast and is secured by heavy duty velcro
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by twodawgs; Oct 1, 2020, 05:04 PM. Reason: doubled a pic and missed another

Comment

OMG! fantastic work. Yes all the Fletchers were sea pigs when it came to turning. That is why later models "very few" had dual rudders and then all Gearing class had them. Here is a pic of a 1/48 scale DD I am building with a slip over rudder for when in the pond.

Comment

I've considered something similar but with the sticky shaft and only able to go forward issue it didn't seem worth it. At this point I've chalked the build into the win category and use her as lessons learned for future work. I've started a really old Chinese 1/350 Missouri (some parts say 1996 on em) and am slowly working through building and converting her. Though the progress slowed massively as I'm butchering a new paint job onto the 1/72nd fletcher she will have the historical style measure 31 but the colors will be a touch light (didn't like the set that i could find and the set I liked were slightly light) and I'm not taking her down to bare fiberglass to repaint. Here is a test patch I did on the interior under sunlight. she looks good inside and even outside it isn't too noticeable other than the super dark grey I used rather than black I'm already reconsidering that. In the end though the paint just has too please me after all I'm the one who will be seeing her every day I'm home.

Your Nickolas (I think I read that right) hull look pretty awesome already and I like the slip rudder idea. From what videos I've seen I may not need it on the 1/72 but I may make one for her just to learn about the process/problems/solutions/advantages and disadvantages.
                              I've been looking into various pics of Fletchers for Measure 31 paint and had come across the Double Knuckle gun turrets but hadn't run into the later double rudder. Sound's like one of the mods tried on the Clemson and Wickes classes with a rudder that went deeper/longer to try for some better control. I didn't read too much about it and am not sure how many if any of their hulls actually received it.

Comment

Looks amazing! I’m working on my own RC conversion of this kit. I was wondering what you used to cut the holes for the battery pack and the switches

Comment

Usually my Dremel tool for that stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                  X