X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumas Akula 1/128th Scale Submarine

I wanted to share my Dumas Akula Submarine experience. It's a 1/128th scale surface running sub. It's weighted to be able to dive but if you stop moving forward it has just enough positive buoyancy to float to the surface. It's 2S 7.4V 5000mah brushless motor equipped and a totally different ball-game to operate. It also has FPV capability but we have found the water to be a big challenge with both radio and FPV frequency signal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub.JPG
Views:	1179
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	221695

Name:	GOPR0641.JPG
Views:	912
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	221696

Name:	GOPR0633.JPG
Views:	938
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	221697

Name:	PICT0011.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	221698

Your 1/128 scale Akula would be about 33 inches or 34 inches long, is that right? If so, that's a good, transportable size. My 1/48 scale Type IX is 57" long, which makes it a strong lake runner, but it's not very easy to transport or service. I'd like a smaller one, eventually. Maybe convert a 1/72 static kit someday.

How is your WTC accessed? Does the bow disconnect? Or is the rear deck removable?

I have never tried FPV in any of my subs, but it looks like fun!

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Subs have always intrigued me. I know they spend part of their life under water so there isn't much to see and all but they still are an interest. I am working on a 1:96 3D printed French Redoubtable (53") right now and have a line on a 1:108 Red October. Bear in mind that in the movie the fictional sub was supposed to be some 650' long! The boat I am looking at is around 72" long and fiberglass. I will likely get to actually do the layup for it myself. It will be a long project. I personally am more into the modern ballistic missile "Boomers". I picked up a Futaba T9CAP radio and a couple receivers off of eBay for running subs. It is difficult in the US to find a surface use 75Mhz radio that has enough channels to be effective for sub use. The lower frequency radios are needed to penetrate the water. Europe uses 40Mhz which is not legal for RC in the US. It is an unfortunate situation but not insurmountable as the 72Mhz T9CAP I bought can be sent off and converted to 75Mhz! As I understand it, most of the regattas out there require 75Mhz. Of course if you just want to run on the surface 2.4Ghz is fine. The Akula is another one I like. I never knew that Dumas made one. I have been researching RC subs lately and there is a lot more to it than I thought but I like challenges.

Comment

Please start a build thread on your 3DP Redoubtable! Long process or not, I'd really enjoy following your progress.

Subs are well suited to 3DP. I've watched Nautilus Drydocks for years and he has been publishing more content on 3DP subs recently.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
        X