X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawler Mounted RC Crane Model

Hi all, my name is Tom Garing, my user name is cranemodel1015 and I am new to the Hobby Squawk site in general, and to the RC Construction Equipment forum in particular. I have, for many years, been interested in crawler mounted cranes and, over the years, have collected information on a 1960s vintage 110 ton capacity P&H model 1015 crawler mounted crane that I have recently completed designing, making and documenting as a fully operational RC scale Crane Model.

This Crane Model is a 1/12th scale full functioning 8 channel Radio Controlled replica of the P & H Model 1015 Lattice Boom Crawler Mounted Crane. Power for the model is provided by a 12 Volt, 22 Amp/Hr LiFePO4 battery that is mounted at the right rear of the cab. The model’s left and right crawler treads are powered independently with 12 Volt gearmotors and propel the model at a scale speed of 60” per minute. The single Boom Hoist Drum, two Cable Hoist Drums and the Cab Swing are each powered by modified 12 V windshield wiper (worm gear) motors from late model VWs. The lattice boom is a hybrid design that utilizes select straight 5/16” dia oak x 36” long corner rods with 1/8” dia poplar lattice members, however the boom areas of stress concentration including the Boom Tip section, Boom End sections and the Boom Base section are 50/50 soldered brass tubing fabrications. View this model’s Playlist on You Tube at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oZ-4VALnrYgQKw

While a lot of time was spent in the design and documentation of over 117 pdf two view engineered drawings for all of the components, (with many of the sketches augmented with step by step word.doc instructions) I would estimate the time required for an average hobby machinist to fabricate the model from the offered Crane Model 1015 DIY Flash Drive plans, to be around 1,000 hours. Note that access to, and knowledge of both a metal lathe (7” Swing Over Bed x 16” Distance Between Centers min) and mill (15” x 7.5” table travel min) are required. See my YT video that shows the tools required to make this model at: https://youtu.be/j0HtdaIR5fs

Should anyone be interested in making this Crane Model, a Cranemodel1015 DIY Flash Drive that stores over 7 GB of digital information including: 117 PDF component and assembly sketches; 21 page Excel Bill Of Materials; over 2,700 construction photos cataloged in 74 folders; complete 66 page PDF Owner’s Manual; full size crane photos and various OEM manuals and data sheets is available at: https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=6342
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5887a.jpg Views:	15 Size:	153.2 KB ID:	340495Click image for larger version  Name:	20220107_154012.jpg Views:	14 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	340496Click image for larger version  Name:	Crane Model and Tom.jpg Views:	15 Size:	135.7 KB ID:	340503Click image for larger version  Name:	Dragline photo enlarged.jpg Views:	15 Size:	259.1 KB ID:	340498Click image for larger version  Name:	Crane Accessories.jpg Views:	13 Size:	252.2 KB ID:	340502Click image for larger version  Name:	Cab Assembly Left.jpg Views:	14 Size:	151.6 KB ID:	340499Click image for larger version  Name:	Cab Assembly Right.jpg Views:	15 Size:	178.7 KB ID:	340500Click image for larger version  Name:	2A Finished Model Photo.jpg Views:	13 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	340504Click image for larger version  Name:	20200115_204149.jpg Views:	15 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	340505Click image for larger version  Name:	20200424_160658.jpg Views:	14 Size:	58.0 KB ID:	340507
    Attached Files

I don’t have the tooling or even the skills necessary to attempt this project, but I have to comment on your dedication and perseverance to bring this to fruition. This is an awesome model, and thank you for sharing your project here.

Comment

Thank you lightbg for your kind words. It has been a very long term project that I started over 50 years ago when I was a machine design engineer for a large food company, but put on hold when we started having/raising our three kids, and only recently completed during the last 5 years after retiring.
      Best Regards,
      Tom

Comment

I believe i've run across your crane on some other sites and it still blows me away each time i see it!

Killer job, your workmanship is outstanding!

Comment

Thanks Fizzen for your kind words🎈
          BEST,
          Cranemodel1015

Comment

Working...
          X