X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WPL Trucks

I've really never been into RC cars/trucks as much as airplane/heli stuff, but I found these WPL trucks online and thought they looked cool. Read some reviews and decided to get one, which then turned into four. Since I haven't been able to get to the field to fly in the past few months, I found these to be fun while at home. We've been having a blast. Plus, I think they'll fit into the new Bancroft landing craft when those arrive. They come in kit form as well as RTR, but the RTR version does not have proportional steering. That was an easy upgrade as well as the 2 speed gearbox and larger motor. Anyway, thought I'd share.
    Attached Files

CM_Aero WPL trucks are a good value for the price. They're nowhere near a Kyosho or Tamiya or Arma or Axial, but if your expectations are scaled to the price point, I think they're worth looking at if you don't mind a bit of wrenching. The WPL trucks are 1/16 scale, so they scale perfectly alongside 1/16 tanks. Out of the box, make sure you're getting the versions with proportional steering, otherwise plan for a steering servo upgrade if yours has the motor-driven steering unit.

I've had the best luck with WPL's C14 which is basically a Toyota Hilux. There are many hop-ups available for it to double the price , but so far stock is fine for my uses. Eventually the plan is to paint it up to run against the T-90.

Click image for larger version

Name:	496d65687bda6a09afbd94bb0b512d54.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	254186

The B36 (Ural) is also a good runner, if you're into the bodystyle and don't mind it being slightly top-heavy, otherwise go with a B16 for more versatile customization options. The B36 would be great as a 4320-D/P-18 radar truck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	39f02cbe4d22738473d2a8bde2c08246--ddr-military-vehicles.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	254187 --photo from militaryimages.net

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Found a cool trailer on Thingiverse and just got done assembling it. Need to still finish adding details but turned out great. Can't wait for the tanks to be back in stock

Comment

CM_Aero Are those LEGO Technic wheels on the trailer? Nice!
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
          CM_Aero Are those LEGO Technic wheels on the trailer? Nice!
          Yes they are Lego wheels. 49.5x20mm is the size

Comment

Just received a 4x4 Zis today. Had been hoping for the 6x6, but I've learned to hit the mouse button right away because it may not be around the next time you look! I have seen posts regarding motor upgrades. If someone here has done one, I'd love to hear about it. i'm planning on painting mine - that's what we do here, you know! - so I do have a question about the printing on the cab - War front, etc. What's the safest way to remove it?

I'm also thinking about making mine a Katushya. What I need for THAT is a nerf launcher!
            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
              Just received a 4x4 Zis today. Had been hoping for the 6x6, but I've learned to hit the mouse button right away because it may not be around the next time you look! I have seen posts regarding motor upgrades. If someone here has done one, I'd love to hear about it. i'm planning on painting mine - that's what we do here, you know! - so I do have a question about the printing on the cab - War front, etc. What's the safest way to remove it?

I'm also thinking about making mine a Katushya. What I need for THAT is a nerf launcher!
              I don't have any experience with the Zis 4x4, but I have upgraded the motors/gearbox in my WPL trucks. The upgrade is a 2 speed gearbox with a 370 motor. Ive gotten a few from amazon and ebay. They should come with a servo that will allow it to switch gears. That being said, you'll have to switch out the original receiver for a 3channel. The other upgrade for the trucks is adding a servo for proportional steering. I haven't repainted one yet, but its on the list of things to do.

Theres a great thread on RCgroups about the various upgrades for these trucks. Heres the link:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Parts-Overview

Comment

Put a cheap little camera on the truck for driving around the yard. Trucks lack the power to pull the excavator (its 1/14) around outside but still fun to move it around

Comment

Originally posted by CM_Aero View Post
                  Found a cool trailer on Thingiverse and just got done assembling it. Need to still finish adding details but turned out great. Can't wait for the tanks to be back in stock
                  Bet my boy is going to like that trailer! I'll just finish installing the brake pads and nitto tires on the truck before the RC build.

Comment

Got a 360 camera and decided to mount it to the B16 and drive thru the christmas lights display.

Comment

Working...
                    X