X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funkey 600 MD-500E / TREX 550X

I recently built a TREX 550X, which is actually a 600 sized machine, and put it in a Funkey 600 sized MD-500E. It was a big experiment to see if I could fit a modern helicopter into a fuselage designed for older helicopters.
    As you can see from the photos and the video, I think it was a success. I had to make almost the exact same cuts and modifications as Chris Reibert did in his review of the Roban MD-500E. The exception is that I carved a small hole in the fuselage for the elevator servo rather than shimming the servo.

The ship has a lighting kit added for dusk flying. The red and green nav lights are in non-scale locations because I did not want to put them on the skid tips. Also, I did not light the tail. Maybe on the next maintenance, I will consider adding lights to the tail. But, with the simple and rugged mounting system along with the reliability of the TREX 550X, that maintenance may not be for a while yet. Currently I have approximately 5 hours on the machine.

The windows and lights were installed with hot glue. I used an Arrow brand hot glue gun from Lowes with a small precision tip. Windows were taped in place then a small bead of hot glue was run along the inside edge. The nose is practically all window. It was quite a challenge to get the windows all lined up properly.

The landing gear were not epoxied like Chris did on his Roban version. Rather, I used a bit of hot glue to hold them in place. The hot glue is flexible, holds really well, and is more resistant to vibration.

The Funkey version does not have opening doors. I can easily reach in and slide out my big Turnigy HD 5000's with no problem. A longer battery might have issues though.

I did not mount the top of the helicopter frame to the fuselage. There appears to be a significant amount of carbon fiber in the fuselage. And the fuselage is rather thick and stiff. After 5 hours I have had no vibration issues in this fuselage. Just make sure you don't inadvertently put torque on the tail tube when mounting the mechs to the floor. Also, I flew with some rigid foam in the doghouse between the frames and the fiberglass. All that did was dampen out the high frequency noise. I eventually removed it because the machine sounds better without it. My mechs are mounted at five points. There are the four aluminum brackets in the cabin area and the foam donut in the tail. That's it. No vibration issues at all. And I have flown her at max forward speed with no bad tendencies.

On the Trex 550X, I am running a flat 70% throttle curve (+40% for the Taranis...-100 to +100) and about +9 to -3 on the pitch. I find that this allows for very nice scale maneuvers with a head speed that is not too high.
    Flight times are generally 7 minutes or so. I use the FRSky FLVSS sensor to report when one cell reaches the 3.7 V level. At that time I enter the pattern to land. Generally this yields 3.8V/cell back on the bench.

Attached Files
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

This is what I love doing...just making it work, great looking results!
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Experimental (temporary) bear paws. A 3d printer would be perfect for such items.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good looking 500 and nice flying. Thanks for sharing!
        Roy Mayoral

Comment

My first loop

The bird now has over 8 hours on her with no issues

Comment

About to get a fuselage for my 550. How were the mods to fit and do you know where I can look to get an idea of what I need to change etc. looking to put a 550e dfc into a 600 fuse.
            Thanks

Comment

Hi PlaneMd, The Funkey 600 size MD500E just barely fits my mechanincs. Mine is the Align 550X (really a 600 with 550 blades and 6s). I had to open the back of the fuselage to allow the tail rotor control rod to pass outside the boom. Other than that, I just bolted her to the floor with the four metal standoffs supplied. I am using the supplied rubber damper in the rear of the boom. She now has almost 10 hours on her with no maintenance issues at all. And I wring her out on most flights.

One nice thing about the Funkey body is that I can get the battery in and out without taking off the front canopy.

Comment

Here are some detail closeups. I had to open a small egg shaped hole in the fuselage to clear the elevator servo. I am using no supports in the upper fuselage area.
                Attached Files

Comment

Apologies for dropping in on someone else's thread, but it's definitely a related subject -
                  I'm trying to locate a window kit for a Funkey 600-class MD500E fuselage.
                  I have the upper section so mainly just need the chin bubble, but if anyone has a set - or chin bubble - they might be interested in selling please give me a shout.

Jettech says they cannot ship fuselage kits to the US right now, and have not responded when I asked about buying just the window kits. Bummer

Thanks!

RR

Comment

What rpms are you using and did you have to change the tailrotor gearing for slower main rotor rpms?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhorse6 View Post
                      What rpms are you using and did you have to change the tailrotor gearing for slower main rotor rpms?
                      Here's a page that I found when I was building my 600 OH6A that was super helpful -

Comment

Working...
                      X