X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trex 550e Which Kits Fits?

Getting a Trex 550e. Which kits, 500 and/or 600 size conversions will the 550e work in? It has a TT tail, so, using a 600 kit would be great. I really like the greater number kits available in the 600 size.

Danny

Did you mean 550X or 550E? The 550X is a 600 size already but runs on 6s. The 550E is an older model.

As far as "fitting" a particualr fuselage goes, none are easy. There is always some engineering to be done. And definitely some dremel work to be had. Chris Reibert had to expose the carbon tail control rod on his Roban 600 size MD-500E. I also had to do that on my Funkey MD 500E. I have a Funkey 600 size AS350 though that looks as if it may be an easier fit for a modern 600 size helicopter. I like the idea of an ARF package in the 600 size. But I am not too sure how well the Roban mechanincs hold up as I do not own one. Plus Motion RC does not seem to have any 600 size ARF's available.

We need a manufacturer to make some scale fuselages that actually fit helicopters that are presently available. The supply of the old version Trex's, Raptors, and the like is about dried up.
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
      Did you mean 550X or 550E? The 550X is a 600 size already but runs on 6s. The 550E is an older model.

As far as "fitting" a particualr fuselage goes, none are easy. There is always some engineering to be done. And definitely some dremel work to be had. Chris Reibert had to expose the carbon tail control rod on his Roban 600 size MD-500E. I also had to do that on my Funkey MD 500E. I have a Funkey 600 size AS350 though that looks as if it may be an easier fit for a modern 600 size helicopter. I like the idea of an ARF package in the 600 size. But I am not too sure how well the Roban mechanincs hold up as I do not own one. Plus Motion RC does not seem to have any 600 size ARF's available.

We need a manufacturer to make some scale fuselages that actually fit helicopters that are presently available. The supply of the old version Trex's, Raptors, and the like is about dried up.
      I did mean the 550E. Thanks for the information. I am certain nothing is plug and play. Just wanted to get an idea as to how much would need to be done. Particularly, concerning the tail length.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by RCFlyer51 View Post
        Getting a Trex 550e. Which kits, 500 and/or 600 size conversions will the 550e work in? It has a TT tail, so, using a 600 kit would be great. I really like the greater number kits available in the 600 size.

Danny
        The 550E can actually fit in a variety of scale fuselages with some minor modifications. If you don't want to change boom length, it can fit inside any of the Funkey 550 fuselages: https://jettechmodels.com/funkey-sca...e-30-550-size/. However, most people prefer stretching the 550 to a larger boom size and fitting it in a 600-700 size fuselage. The tail booms, torque tubes, and tail pushrods from the Trex 600 and 700 are drop in fits for the 550 parts. This leaves more room up front for a scale cockpit or batteries. The only fuselages to avoid will be the ones with custom side frames (Roban UH-60 and UH-1N). Any of the below fuselages will work if the boom is stretched appropriately:

600 size: Roban A109, MD500D & E, Airwolf: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...class_size=600. Any of the Funkey 600s will also work: https://jettechmodels.com/funkey-sca...e-50-600-size/

700 size: Roban Bell 206: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...class_size=700 (May require an extended mainshaft to get the head at scale height)

Hope this helps!

Michael

Comment

Thanks for the information Michael. The Funkey 550s look nice. Their fuselages look like they are thinner that the Roban fuses. Is that the case? More fragile?

Danny

Comment

Working...
          X