X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roban AH-6 Little Bird 800 Size Scale Helicopter - ARF

I thought I would start posting pics of the AH-6 from Roban, I bought this one used and it had very few flights on it, it was in nice condition but had a broken front windshield, one rocket launcher was glued on backwards and a few minor things wrong, lights didn't work, things like that, I was able to snag the last set of windows from MRC, haven't replaced it yet, wanted to fly it several time first to see if it survives the maiden, now have four flights on it. I will post some video and some build or repair pics as I go along with the project. I will start off with the electronics and how I have it things hooked up.

KST X20-2208 servos on the cyclic
    KST X20-1035 servo on the rudder
    Microbeast Plus 5.0 version controller
    Kontronik 160 ESC
    Kontronik 700-45L motor
    Heavy duty 20 gauge wiring, including the Y harness and leads.
    Heavy Duty Switch
    Fromeco 5200 8.4 buffer backup battery
    Old Hobby People light controller with a mix of RCAerodyne beacon lights, had this stuff laying around my shop so I put them to use, not bright enough but they work.
    Stock main blades, upgraded 4 blade tail rotor and blades

Flies great, I got hooked on this 800 size after one flight so I bought the 800 Magnum PI version as well, it will have the same electronics as the AH-6 but maybe on that I will do more of a build video just on it, not sure yet.
    Any questions, sent me a pm and I will give you my phone number or ask then here if you want, I am no expert by no means but will do my best to answer your questions.

https://youtu.be/2EzCFtBBMIk

​​
    Attached Files

Awesome sauce! I can't wait to see pictures of it.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Got a video of the maiden flight from yesterday plus one more, all went great, flew it again this morning in the wind and it handled it very well.

Comment

Looks great. Nice job

Comment

Thank you, talk about a different feeling flying this bad boy, this is my first 800 size heli and next to anything else the Hughes 500 class are huge, love it, can't wait to get my Magnum PI version in the air now.

Comment

Got 6 flights so far, flying great with no issues. I did find that the original builder had the blade grips flipped the wrong way, the J links were on the trailing edge side instead of the leading edge, was wondering why I had to reverse my pitch to get positive and negative, it was backwards but flew fine, but I couldn't take it and put them the right way.

Comment

I was just looking at the head for the AH-64 out of the box last night. I noticed it was set up for trailing edge control. The reason I say that is because the way the blade bolt was inserted. In trailing edge configuration the bolt head was up and nut on the bottom of the Blade grip. I wonder if that’s why the original builder did it that way.

gravy

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                I was just looking at the head for the AH-64 out of the box last night. I noticed it was set up for trailing edge control. The reason I say that is because the way the blade bolt was inserted. In trailing edge configuration the bolt head was up and nut on the bottom of the Blade grip. I wonder if that’s why the original builder did it that way.

gravy
                They probably designed the head for conventional RC and Eurocopter/Airbus blade rotation (CW). For the CCW rotation like Bell, Boeing, Sikorsky, Leonardo/Augusta Westland, and MBB, they flipped the blade grips over. I doubt it was originally intended for trailing edge control.

Comment

I just reread my original post. And I see how you got that out of it. What I was try to say is out of the box it set up for CW rotation. Only because of the blade bolts.

I don’t think it was design for trailing edge. I think the original builder just went with how it came out if the box. I think he put it together and just went with how the bolts were installed and either didn’t know better or didn’t care. I agree it was originally designed for CW rotation (just the head).

Gravy

Comment

Yeah, my new Magnum PI came with leading edge blade grips but the bolts were in upside down, so I wonder if someone building these realize you can put the bolts in either way, the blade grips have slots for the locknut on both sides, leading edge is what they should be if going CCW, kind of strange with one built one way and my other one the right way? So what is the right way I wonder, whatever one's desire.?? It's funny though how I used to have all 600 scalers turning CW, now that I have these 800 size Roban kits, I have them turning CCW and now I'm used to it, at first it seemed strange.

Comment

Now that I'm getting ready to install the cockpit, lights and all that, thought I would post a few pics of what these kits come with. These pics are for the Magnum PI version but the AH-6 has some of the same parts so I wanted to show what you will get, the ammo box and guns and missle launchers are not in the pictures but are included as you see in the first pics in my very first post.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Got in two flights yesterday evening and one more this morning, left the weapons off on this flight, hard to see being all black and no rocket launchers sticking out, will put them back on to help with orintation. I'm really confident in how is flies so I'm able to take off right out of my front yard and fly around and land back in the same spot, these 800 size are so much fun, very easy to fly, highly recommend these Roban Hughes 500 kits.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211007_201840.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	326685 Some of you may remember I sold this one last year, well I bought it back and chopped the skids down to more of a scale look, can't go to low because these big boys swing large tail blades, I 'm thinking about going with a 4 blade tail, even a cascading tail like the real one had, my buddy sent out a shout to Michael Brown for one but no response, anyone know if he still making them??
                          Here it is, made the first cut, not to bad, might go with it, don't want it to short and stubby.....

Comment

Looks good, DC. I like that. Think I’m correct in saying Roban discontinued that 800 AH-6 last year so it’s value ought to increase.

Comment

Looks good! I like the short legs...

Comment

Thanks guys, that decal you see on there was just a thought, it looks so blah with only numbers and US Army decal, what do you think? As for the skids, it still won't look right until I cut the back of the skids off shorter, once the skids are mounted to the struts then you make the cut on the rear of the skids, then it will look like a AH-6, I did that on the OH-6 and it worked out great.

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                                  Thanks guys, that decal you see on there was just a thought, it looks so blah with only numbers and US Army decal, what do you think? As for the skids, it still won't look right until I cut the back of the skids off shorter, once the skids are mounted to the struts then you make the cut on the rear of the skids, then it will look like a AH-6, I did that on the OH-6 and it worked out great.
                                  I think an outline stars and bars in the same silver as the numbers would look good... I wouldn't go with the colored one... then maybe light weathering over it... dirty it up per se...

Comment

I didn't go with any decals after all but I really shortened the skids, not going any shorter, too much work, came out nicely, need to work on the weapons now, get them closer to scale, gotta love scale helis, your work is never done..
                                    Attached Files

Comment

That line up sure will look good when OH-6 is added.

Gravy

Comment

Working...
                                      X