You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roban compactor Mechanics setup questions?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roban compactor Mechanics setup questions?

I am building my Roban 800 size Airwolf...
    I am struggling with getting all the gear to set up the mechanics..
    I just ordered a scorpion 560 motor from motion rc. So I think I am set on the motor.

my big questions come with power setup..

I ordered the recommended servos.. MKS 1220 for swash. And MKS 980 for tail pitch. The directions recommend metal servo arms.. Does anyone make metal servo arms for MKS servos?

The 1220 servos are rated for 6.6 volts and the 980 is rated for 7.2 volts.. I have heard that the retracts are only good for 6 volts... not sure about voltage for the light controller?
    I am thinking I should run a separate battery for the Rx and the 12s set up only for the motor? Is that common in these large helis or am I overthinking it?

I would love a 2s lipo but hate to run two regulators (1 for gear and 1 for swash servos)
    so thinking 6.6 volt battery.. Any tips on what size flight pack?

Still not sure what FBL unit to go with... I was thinking about the spectrum 7210 because that’s what radio I have but I don’t think it will have enough slots for gear, lights, and direct powered battery?

It seems the brain2 is a popular choice..

Also unsure on speed controller

Thanks for any setup tips also for the compactor mechanics

Bill

Here's what I have used for a separate power source 2S 2500mah pack / 10/20A BEC Castle Creation with 2 Output plugs. (Receiver / LED module Y wired with cockpit )
    Set voltage output for both 6.0V. I suggest using the Spektrum AR8210T receiver which should work perfect. There are metal servo arms you can buy off from AMain hobbies. for your 980HBL rudder servo, use the servo arms that comes with it. I have used the Bavarian Demon 3X or the Axon that flies the helicopter with great stability with all the Airwolf 800 I did for my clients.

Ed
    Attached Files

Comment

G'day Bill. Wondering how you get along with your build and setup. Let me know, please. Cheers. Andy

Comment

All is well, This is my 5th Airwolf 800 build for my client.

Comment

Goodness, you must be very busy. But good to hear that you're well. Do you only build the fuse or ready to fly set up of electronics?

Comment

I build the whole kit , scale it down base on the real thing (depending on how far the customer wants it done), re-build the mechanics, set it up and get it it all ready to fly once he takes it out of the crate box.

Comment

Hello...Very new here but lost my transmitter for X9 3 ch 27mhz helicopter. Are they hard to find?

Comment

Depends on where you've lost it.

Comment

Comment

I too am build the Roban Bell 429 Brazil Operations and some questions about the electronics. I bought the recommended MKS servos, Castle ESC and BEC. The ESC has 8AWG wire and, according to the Castle website, the length of wire from the batteries to the ESC must not exceed 18 inches, including the length of wire on the ESC itself. In order to place the ESC in the doghouse the wires have to be at least 18 plus the 6 on the ESC. Does anyone know if, on the large scale help, exceeding 18 inches will cause issues? Should I put a capacitor pack in line?

Second, the Castle documentation shows connecting the BEC to one of the two 6 cell batteries and the BEC has two outputs. Do both outputs have to be connected to the RX? I also have the Castle ESC lock socket which also requires a port on the RX. So 3 ports on the RX are required: 2 for the BEC and one for the ESC lock. Can I connect all 3 to a 3 way servo connector and plug in to just one RX port?

Comment

Hello i am new to this model and just got me a Roban 429. With bavarian demon 3x as controller . Any idea where i can get a good setting up info with a Futaba 14sg etc thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X