X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AH-64 450 build

So I bought this old kit off ebay and started working on it. It had some missing parts and finding a 450 tail riser has been impossible, so I have to make my own.

its going to use an old used Align 450 I bought from a LHS when it closed down. I will have to change the motor out as it 3400kv. I’ll put a 1800kv motor from motions 450 Helis as it will give me the correct head speed on 4s.

I have the 4 blades floating head which I’m excited to see how it works out. I’m going to have to build my own cascading tail rotor. If I run into issues with that I’ll just use the 4 blade tail rotor. It won loom scale but it will be functional.

I have the whole mechanics tilted forward at a 10-20 deg angle. Because of this I had to get creative on my torque tube drive system. I’m using two of the frame mounts both with stock gears. The upper is there to connect to the auto rotation gear. This then transfers the Roth’s toon to the lower set through universal joint shaft setup.

Then on the tail riser I’m using a transfer gear to then drive the riser gear which will transfer rotation up to the tail drive unit. Simple but complex. I’ll need to make my own attachment plates.

finally it will get nav lights full paint and decals to complete it off. I’m pushing to have it done by summer.

gravy
    Attached Files

Primer all done

gravy
    Attached Files

Comment

Started my grey wash. About half way through first coat.
      Second coat will be thinner than the first. So far I’m liking how it’s coming out.

it will be interesting to see which one I give more love to when both done. This one or my 700 Roban.

gravy
      Attached Files

Comment

I know which one will get the love!!!!!

Comment

Looks fun. Starting my 500 size md500 this week.

Comment

Duplicated
            gravy

Comment

Looking good Gravy!

Comment

Thanks

more stuff done. Almost done with the body. Still waiting on some stuff to finish the mechanics.

gravy
                Attached Files

Comment

So I’m going a new direction on the tail rotor drive. Found a Flex drive shaft that should work. It’s for RC boats but the specs are 35000 rpms and CCW. 4mm od. Should be perfect. So the race is on. Which will be done first the 450 or the 700.

gravy

Comment

ditch the floating head its plays havoc with flybarless controllers. I had one on a 450 lynx ah-1 the electronics and the floating head conflicted horribly. I put a 4 blade rigid head on solved the issues

Comment

10-4, I’ll give it a shot since I have but, yeah my back up is to put a rigid head on. I’m currently waiting for some PTFE tube to finish up my tail torque drive shaft.
                      its almost done but my 700 Apache will be done this week.

gravy

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                        10-4, I’ll give it a shot since I have but, yeah my back up is to put a rigid head on. I’m currently waiting for some PTFE tube to finish up my tail torque drive shaft.
                        its almost done but my 700 Apache will be done this week.

gravy
                        I didnt bother with a 4 blade head on mine and stuck with a standard two blade set up flies lovely. plush you cant count the blades in the air. I did make mine a WAH-64D Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0103.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	262244Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0105.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	262245Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0091.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	262246

Comment

Made my tail riser adapter this weekend. So now I need to cut everything to right size I.e. boom, riser boom and flex shaft and PTFE tube. Then I’ll test fly mechanics. Once I get her flying, it’s just put her in the fuse and done.

Gravy
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looking good Gravy.

Comment

very nice. Watch the bend of the control run they cab bind something chronic

Comment

Yeah, right now I’m waiting for a 7mm id x 11mm od bushing to arrive. I had the torque shaft all in stalled but the adapter was rubbing in side the torque tube because there’s nothing to keep the shaft straight when it enters the section at the main frame. So I need to add a bushing to keep it all straight as it enters the forward gear set. Tail section it good with no issues

also just to hot to work on anything right now.

Gravy

Comment

Working...
                                X