X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Idea What This Is?

I’m stumped. Anybody know what this long tubular framework is mounted to the port side of a B412/CH-146 tail cone? My research shows not all of the Canadian rescue helis have that installed, and even different pics of the same heli show it installed & then removed. Some type of antenna array? Thanks for the help!

It's an antenna.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Thanks! I’m guessing it would be VLF with that length or possibly some type of magnetometer array. Just trying to decide whether to build one for my 412.

Comment

I believe that's the offshore radio antenna

Comment

That makes sense for VLF. Good news is that my Griffon would be correct either with or without it installed. I’ll decide after Laura passes: I can throw a rock in Galveston Bay from my front porch so may not be a B412/Griffon to finish.

Comment

Wow, hope you make it through without any flooding or damage

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

How did you make it Paw? Cameron,Calcasieu, and Beauregard parishes really took a beating. I've been working in the DOTD TOC since Monday. Over here in Baton Rouge, it ended up just being another rainy day.

Comment

We absolutely dodged the bullet here. I don’t think we even saw rain Wed night. We’re not even at peak season yet here on the gulf coast!

Comment

Antenna it is, then. Now when somebody asks, I will say “It’s an offshore antenna in the VLF band”.

Comment

Got another question: Any ideas what the two odd shaped “loops” are at each of the windshield top corners are? They look too flimsy to be handholds. Maybe some type of guard for the wipers?

Comment

PawPaw I believe those are parts of the WSPS, to divert a power line upward over the wipers and directly into the wire cutter mast. This is implied by the height of the rail essentially matching the throat of the cutter. One feeds to the other.

Different helicopters use different diverters of various shapes, but they all tend to try to accomplish the same thing of keeping the wire off the windscreen, if/where possible.

On a related note, the notion of flying into a power line at low level and having to rely on a static cutter to free you before something worse happens is terrifying!
                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks, Alpha! I was planning to make them anyway, but do like to be informed when folks ask what they’re for.

Comment

Working...
                          X