X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronan 500 AH-1Wx

Almost done with my 500 AH-1Wx. I know it’s not scale but I was going to modify it to a Z but with everything else going on and only have 1 of 7 helicopters fly right now due to maintenance and repairs, so I’m keeping it simple. I already had the 4 blade head and tail rotor, So I’m going with this was the 4 blade head AH-1W experimental before the Z model.

anyway it’s all painted up and sealed so I should be able to stuff the heli in her this weekend and maybe fly her. I really am liking this size over my 700 Apache.

Gravy
    Attached Files

Nice! What mechanics are you using?

Comment

Align Trex 500.
      install of mechanics was a PITA. I have some damage to repair. Insertion with the bottom half of the tail riser does not really fit and ended up causing all kinds of crack damage. On the bottom of theAH-1 boom. Then the access plate on the tail to get to and attach the rest of the tail riser is no big enough to get the job done with out a lot of cussing and tweaking and more damage. I’m almost done. But I am so done with these damn builds. It seam like none of them go together like they are supposed to. Now I understand why DCORSAIR like the MD-500’s so much. Just straight forward install.

I’ll post more when I’m done doing damage repair and touch up paint and ready to fly.

Gravy

Comment

Yep, once you build a Hughes 500, you won't go back to anything else,

I have only built like 12 Hughes 500 over the years is all.

Comment

lol.
          well she flew. Just light stuff in the front yard. I will fix up the damage and she’s ready for a mission. I will never pull the mechanics out of it again. Ever. Never ever.

she did look good in the air though.

Gravy

Comment

Yea its an absolute pain to get the mechanics in and out of that one.... with the tail part of the fuselage not coming off...

Comment

Couple videos. Hopefully the weather good soon and I can actually fly her.
              4s 4000 pack.

Gravy

Comment

Bravo....nice work.

Comment

Gravy, just curious....are those blades carbon or FG? They kinda look like some FG blades I saw on Ebay.

Comment

CF. I got them from GrandRC

Gravy

Comment

Originally posted by PawPaw View Post
                      Gravy, just curious....are those blades carbon or FG? They kinda look like some FG blades I saw on Ebay.
                      They have some Align 550mm blades you were looking for PawPaw, I have bought alot of stuff from them, some people have complained about them but I have never had any issues.

Comment

Yeah I’ve bought a bunch from the as of the last 6 months and have had no issues at all.

gravy

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

She flew great.
                            met with DCORSAIR today and did a few maidens. The cobra was one of them. Had a little vibration on first flight. DCORSAIR suggested loosening my blades a bit. Between that and lowering the head speed by a couple percent got read of the vibration. She’s solid. I’ll giver her a few full flights tomorrow.

Gravy

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                              She flew great.
                              met with DCORSAIR today and did a few maidens. The cobra was one of them. Had a little vibration on first flight. DCORSAIR suggested loosening my blades a bit. Between that and lowering the head speed by a couple percent got read of the vibration. She’s solid. I’ll giver her a few full flights tomorrow.

Gravy
                              Awesome! Glad to hear of a successful maiden! I’ve got a beaten up 500 Cobra that I picked up a few months ago that has been earmarked for conversion to a Zulu. Will be watching how things progress.

Comment

I guess I need to up date.
                                crashed her a couple weeks ago. She dropped out of the sky about 15-20’ high, while doing a slow flyby. She was for sure my best flying helicopter up to that point. Cause, no thread lock put on my washout arm bolts. In other words bad building attention.

I shelved it for a couple days then decided to take a look to see the damage. When I took a look finally I decided it could be fixed, but would need help from a friend that is good with FG.

Damage.
                                canopy glass cracked and missing pieces.
                                canopy cracked and damaged, too rails cam off.
                                fuselage front damaged with cuts, gouges and missing chunks.
                                gun turret damaged
                                right wing and weapons damaged.
                                right side skid mounts broken.
                                Inside wood frame and mounting plate broken off fuse.
                                front plastic mounting adapter broken.
                                most gears striped.
                                couple blades have a small chip missing.

Parts ordered.
                                Canopy windows
                                skid set, (won’t need)

Parts I had.
                                Replacement gears.
                                extra blades.

parts repaired.
                                canopy, I fixed this with some resin, glass cloth, plastic fill putty, sanding and super glue. It will get primer this week and it will look like it just came out of the box.

I 3D printed a new front mounting adapter and skid mounts on my resin printer.

I repaired the gun turret and used CF tubing. Looks new and stronger too.

fuselage is almost done and from pics looks good. I will have some things to do to it when I get it back, but when done and painted, should look new.

mechanics are all fixed and ALL bolts going into metal are now thread locked.

I bought a new scale tail setup from GrandRC which should look better.

when I get the Fuse back I will need to make and attaché all new wood work inside.
                                I did find that the original was glued crooked and that’s why I had to use shims to get the mechanics to sit flush, so that will get fixed.

It will get all new paint and hopefully decals. I’m really trying to figure out how to scale them and print them out. I have the paper needed.

Not a total loss but a lesson I wish I wouldn’t of had to learn.

Gravy

Attached Files

Comment

That’s awesome work, Gravy. Maybe I could send you a couple handicapped birds since your skills are still fresh?

Comment

Lol , thanks.
                                    I got the canopy and the landing skids primed.
                                    also the new skid adapters. I designed them with cutouts so the skids will sit flush. I also put some screw holes so I can put some screws in to hold everything tight and in place. I printed them in grey so if the paint starts to peel it won’t show black.

Gravy
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                                      Lol , thanks.
                                      I got the canopy and the landing skids primed.
                                      also the new skid adapters. I designed them with cutouts so the skids will sit flush. I also put some screw holes so I can put some screws in to hold everything tight and in place. I printed them in grey so if the paint starts to peel it won’t show black.

Gravy
                                      Sweet Gravy, can't wait to see her fly again, your getting really good at the 3D printing stuff...............

Comment

You will be the first. Just because you were there when she went in. Hopefully that will be a Cobra, Apache and Airwolf day.

Gravy

Comment

Working...
                                        X