X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 size UH-34 “Mercury Recovery”

Really should have posted more of the build process earlier, but I’ve been trying to throw it together quickly to be ready for IRCHA. Putting the final touches on my 500 size UH-34D now. It’s a PKM fuselage with Trex 500 mechs, Align 4 blade head, and the JDHMBD 4 blade tail. Should have everything ready for the trip to IRCHA on Thursday! Paint scheme is modeled after the aircraft that recovered Alan Shepard’s Capsule after the first Mercury Mission. Eventually, I’ll be adding a cargo hook on the bottom to attempt to lift a 3D printed capsule.

A few more detail parts to be added fresh off the resin printer. A more scale exhaust stack and a hook for the hoist.

Comment

Just awesome F106, as usual! Keep the progress reports coming. 😁

Comment

F106DeltaDart , Now that is some seriously nice work, Sir. Great subject, too. Diggin' the 3DP resin parts, of course. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thanks guys. Painted and installed the new exhaust, and hook. Not sure if it will be flight ready in time, but it will at least be good for display at IRCHA. Will definitely be ready for Dalton in September though! I have some rework to do on the battery mounting area.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
            Thanks guys. Painted and installed the new exhaust, and hook. Not sure if it will be flight ready in time, but it will at least be good for display at IRCHA. Will definitely be ready for Dalton in September though! I have some rework to do on the battery mounting area.
            Love it, that looks awesome, she is a beauty,

Comment

Yes truly is a bird of beauty

Comment

Maiden flight complete! Hoping to get it out to the field tomorrow getting into more of the forward flight and gain tuning. Handled well and had plenty of tail authority and power margin.

Comment

That looks awesome, can't wait to see a video of it flying. I wish Roban had one like that in the 700/800 size, I would order one today,

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                    That looks awesome, can't wait to see a video of it flying. I wish Roban had one like that in the 700/800 size, I would order one today,
                    Agreed, would have definitely made things easier! I put in a few more flights today and got the gains dialed in. Really flies excellently! Very stable with plenty of authority.

Comment

After having sold the original (by offer that couldn’t be refused), I have built another one over the course of the last year, with some improvements in detail and scale appearance.

Comment

Did a 2nd take on the Mercury capsule recovery today with the 500 size UH-34 Choctaw. Had perfect weather and some nice blue water. Finally got the shot for shot recreation of the original photo of Shepard's Recovery pretty close. Just after that, the magnet let go and left the capsule floating in the water. Luckily, I was able to use the rotor wash to push the capsule back to shore.​

Comment

Been waiting to see the recognition of your talent in the Model Aviation mag. Finally............... the Dec issue on page 27-28, 32-33.
                          Right there with other elite scale modelers. I've always admired your talent MR.
                          Best regards,
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                            Been waiting to see the recognition of your talent in the Model Aviation mag. Finally............... the Dec issue on page 27-28, 32-33.
                            Right there with other elite scale modelers. I've always admired your talent MR.
                            Best regards,
                            Thanks Charlie! I was very surprised to see my aircraft make an appearance in the magazine! Andrew and Jon both wrote excellent articles. I’m thrilled to see scale helicopters finally getting some representation in model aviation!

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Thanks Charlie! I was very surprised to see my aircraft make an appearance in the magazine! Andrew and Jon both wrote excellent articles. I’m thrilled to see scale helicopters finally getting some representation in model aviation!
                              Yes I got the magazine yesterday as well... congrats DD!! Several of your aircraft in there! Oh, and it definitely didn't hurt my feelings to see a Cobra on the cover either

Comment

Working...
                              X