X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official RotorScale F180 200 Size Helicopter Discussion Thread

F180 200 Size Gyro Stabilized Helicopter - RTF from RotorScale - RTF - RSH1004-001

The RotorScale F180 200 size Gyro-Stabilized Helicopter is an advanced 3D-capable helicopter carbon fiber construction featuring dual brushless motors, a cutting edge flybarless flight controller, and precise gyro-stabilization. Sold as an RTF ("Ready To Fly") package, this RotorScale F180 includes everything you need to fly except for four (4) AA batteries. Due to its very high performance potential, the RotorScale F180 is recommended for advanced helicopter pilots seeking a fast and agile helicopter in an easily transportable form factor.

Advanced High Performance Helicopter
    The RotorScale F180 blurs the lines between a general "Sport" helicopter and a purpose-built "3D" helicopter. Its onboard gyro-stabilized system and pre-programmed radio transmitter make the F180 an ideal step-up for intermediate pilots who want to be able to toggle between self-leveling mode and 3D acrobatic [unstabilized] mode. Don't let its smaller size deceive you — this helicopter can do almost any "big boy" 3D maneuver in the book!
    Intuitive Design
    Experience the benefits of a modern helicopter design that brings all the best of current technology. Dual brushless direct drive motors, carbon fiber and metal structures, and a cutting edge flybarless, gyro-enhanced self-stabilizing flight controller. All delivered in the convenience of an RTR ("Ready To Fly") package and backed by Motion RC's world-renowned customer service and spare parts support.
    Dual Brushless Motors
    Both the main rotor and the tail rotor are driven independently by specially selected brushless motors. While most models in this size range use brushed motors, especially on the tail motor, the F180's brushless motors deliver higher power, efficiency, and torque. The main motor is a 3606 brushless motor that contains special magnets capable of performing in high current and high temperature environments. Paired with the F180's digital cyclic servos, these two brushless motors provide the best performance possible in a helicopter of this size.
    Easy Maintenance
    The RotorScale F180's open frame layout is easy to maintain, which is especially important for a performance helictoper. All electronics and main structures are readily accessible to clean, inspect, and repair if necessary. Carbon fiber and CNC metal parts reinforce key areas, without adding excessive deadweight. Even the carbon and nylon composite main blades are crafted to optimize performance per gram.
    Gyro-Stabilized and 3D Performance Modes
    A modern flybarless flight controller is enhanced with an onboard gyro sensor suite. This system is pre-configured at the factory and arrives Ready To Fly. The included radio enables pilots to toggle with a single switch between mild gyro-stabilized "Sport" mode to a highly maneuverable "3D" mode. The pitch curves and throttle curves are already pre-programmed, making the F180 one of the quickest helicopters to access true 3D Aerobatic flying out of the box!
    Perfect Size for Sport 3D Flying
    The RotorScale F180's 410mm (16.1") main blade diameter makes the helicopter an ideal "everyday flyer", powered by a smaller battery than larger and heavier helicopters. The F180's power to weight ratio makes it capable of almost everything a larger helicopter three times its cost can accomplish.
    RTF - Ready To Fly
    This RTF ("Ready To Fly") package arrives with everything needed to fly except four (4) AA batteries. The helicopter, a pre-programmed radio transmitter, LiPo flight battery, USB battery charger, user guide are all included in the box. Complimentary tools and spare parts are also included for your convenience. Read the manual, charge the battery, conduct your pre-flight tests, then start flying!
    Futaba S-FHSS Compatible Radio System
    A modern 2.4GHz radio transmitter is included and arrives fully configured to fly your RotorScale F180 400 Size Gyro-Stabilized helicopter. Zero user programming is required. The helicopter itself is also compatible with Futaba S-FHSS compatible radio transmitters.
    Features:
    • Pre-configured 6-axis gyro stabilized flybarless system
    • Dual brushless motors
    • Easy to maintain with open frame
    • Ready To Fly with everything you need
    • Futaba S-FHSS compatible radio system
    Includes:
    • RotorScale F180 200 Size Gyro Stabilized Helicopter - RTF
    • 2.4GHz Radio Transmitter
    • Flight Battery (3S 11.1V 700mAh 30C LiPo with XT30 Connector)
    • USB Charger
    • Spare Main Blade Set
    • Spare Tail Blade Set
    • Tools
    • Manual
    Requires:
    • 4x AA batteries
    Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL : 14 and up
    SKILL LEVEL : Advanced
    BUILD TIME : None
    Class / Size 200 Size
    Power Type Electric
    Rotor Type Collective Pitch
    Body Material Plastic
    Overall Size (L x W x H) 400mm (15.7") x 410mm (16.1") x 120mm (4.7")
    Flying Weight 297g
    Main Rotor Diameter 410mm / 16.1"
    Main Rotor Blade Length 410mm / 16.1"
    Tail Rotor Diameter 73mm / 2.9"
    Tail Rotor Blade Length 73mm / 2.9"
    Tail Drive Type 1104 Brushless Motor
    Cyclic Servos 4.3g Metal Gear
    Tail Servo N/A
    Power System Direct Drive 3606 Brushless Motor
    Electronic Speed Control Integrated
    Battery 3S 11.1V 700mAh 30C LiPo Battery with XT30 Connector (Included)
    Battery Compartment Size (L x W x H) N/A
    Required Radio 2.4GHz Radio (Included)
    Skill Level Advanced
    Build Time None
    Recommended Environment Outdoors

Will this be offered in a bind and fly (BNF) version?

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. It is, however, compatible with Futaba S-FHSS transmitters.

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
        Will this be offered in a bind and fly (BNF) version?
        BNF is a Horizon exclusive thing with Spektrum. This model will is Futaba compatible, not DSMX

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

BNF is a Horizon exclusive thing with Spektrum. This model will is Futaba compatible, not DSMX
          Yes I am aware that that "BNF" is a Horizon/Spektrum trademark. Allow me to re-phrase...

Will this heli be offered in a package without the transmitter? (I have many S-FHSS Txs and don't need yet another.)

Comment

I don't believe this a 400 size heli. The blades are approx 175mm long each. Thats why its an F180.

Comment

Originally posted by CM_Aero View Post
              I don't believe this a 400 size heli.
              Good question. It's a class size, not a specific blade diameter. We didn't want to have measurements to the millimeter in the product title (that's what the Spec table is for). The class size is a much simpler way to group similarly sized helicopters together, based on their main rotor diameter.

Right now, we group models into one of several class sizes (200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800) that give viewers a fairly useful overview of a model's general size, even though each model's weight and volumetric displacement varies. Look at a RotorScale 450 size MD500 vs 450 size B222, for example. Same class size yet different in fuselage height.

We're adapting the industry's [inconsistent] use of "size" to utilize what we feel is a more useful "class size". Again I would emphasize that for actual measurements, see the spec table. This is rooted in a similar question about the scale of fixed wing airplanes. We have many 80mm jets, but they're all different scales. Rather than focus on scale factor, we instead chose to group those models by powerplant size, since that conveys a general idea of the model. For actual measurements and scale, the user refers to the specifications table and make the necessary scale conversion. Such it is with helicopters.

Comment

Originally posted by jbaartz View Post

Good question. It's a class size, not a specific blade diameter. We didn't want to have measurements to the millimeter in the product title (that's what the Spec table is for). The class size is a much simpler way to group similarly sized helicopters together, based on their main rotor diameter.

Right now, we group models into one of several class sizes (200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800) that give viewers a fairly useful overview of a model's general size, even though each model's weight and volumetric displacement varies. Look at a RotorScale 450 size MD500 vs 450 size B222, for example. Same class size yet different in fuselage height.

We're adapting the industry's [inconsistent] use of "size" to utilize what we feel is a more useful "class size". Again I would emphasize that for actual measurements, see the spec table. This is rooted in a similar question about the scale of fixed wing airplanes. We have many 80mm jets, but they're all different scales. Rather than focus on scale factor, we instead chose to group those models by powerplant size, since that conveys a general idea of the model. For actual measurements and scale, the user refers to the specifications table and make the necessary scale conversion. Such it is with helicopters.
                You are correct with class size. But having 400 size in the title I think is a bit misleading. I should have been more specific when I said it wasn't a 400 size helicopter. I should have said that it wasn't a 400 class size helicopter. The specs list the blade length as 410mm along with the main rotor diameter of 410mm. So which is it? Both are different dimension and blade length is typically how class sizes are determined on these electrics nowadays. I agree that scale size is a totally different subject and not one that concerns class size.

Comment

... blade length is typically how class sizes are determined on these electrics nowadays. ...
                  ^^this^^
                  I've gotten heavily into helis this past past decade and I can guarantee you that any heli described as being "400 class" will be interpreted as having a blade length of 400 mm.
                  No one uses rotor diameter to describe the class of a heli.

Comment

I could be wrong on this, but I think it is why Blade has "renamed" the 400 class line. It now has the 330S which is the same size physical size of a 450X which was a previous version. But both swing 325mm blades hence the rename to 330

Comment

I could be wrong on this, but I think it is why Blade has "renamed" the 400 class line. It now has the 330S which is the same size physical size of a 450X which was a previous version. But both swing 325mm blades hence the rename to 330
                      That’s right. It’s an update from the old Align size convention to the newer (and more sensible) blade size naming scheme. The old Align scheme made no sense

Trex 150 = 120mm blades
                      Trex 250 = 205mm blades
                      Trex 450 = 325mm blades
                      Trex 500 = 425mm blades
                      Trex 550 = 550mm blades
                      Trex 600 = 600mm blades
                      Trex 700 = 700mm blades

That said, there is no convention whatsoever that would make this a 400 class heli to my knowledge. It is either 180 size (blade size) or maybe 200 size (Align size convention).

Comment

Working...
                      X