You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roban 800 size 500MD motor recommendation?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roban 800 size 500MD motor recommendation?

What are the Roban 800 size 500MD builders using to power there birds? The Motion RC recommended Scorpion 500KV motor is no longer available!

The Scorpion 4035-500Kv was just a recommendation by MRC but there are many motors that would be ideal for your MD within the 450Kv to 520Kv range. I use an Xnova 4030-470Kv in my EC-145 800 with a 4 blade head, for example. AMain Hobbies and GrandRC are 2 retailers with good selections. Personally, I would use 520Kv as an upper limit for 4-5 blade heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Wmacky View Post
      What are the Roban 800 size 500MD builders using to power there birds? The Motion RC recommended Scorpion 500KV motor is no longer available!
      I have three Roban 800 size 500MD birds and use 450KV, two have the Kontronik Pyro 700-450L (Long shaft) and one has the Align 750MX 450kv, plenty of power and my Kontronik 160 esc runs in the 72-75% range on the throttle curve which is where I like, so like PawPaw said, somewhere in the range of 450kv-500kv range will do, but the motors need the long shaft to run the support bearing assembly included with the Roban kit, don't get the short shaft motors.

I just sold my OH-6 and AH-6 so I'm down to only one 500D Magnum PI version.

Comment

Tengu Egodrift scale collection motors are really good as well...

Our EGODRIFT "Scale Collection" of Tengu heli motors is aimed at the special requirements of your scale r/c helicopter builds. Featuring special shaft and kV options, as well as a special Scale lasering design

The 4035/460kv or the 4525/470kv would work just fine... and their bolt pattern matches up with all 4 bolts.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm coming from the nitro world and I'm just now learning electrics. BTW, I recently had an unexpected life change, and have decided to stock pile paycheck for a possible early retirement. I do want to finish this build but need to keeps costs reasonable. I need "value" components that still offer good reliability. I just don't need best of the best. With that in mind, how would this motor choice work out? https://www.scaleflying.com/Scorpion...or_p_2532.html

What Hobby Wing ESC would work with this motor? How about the Motion RC suggested servos? They seem less expensive than what others use? Looking for bang for the buck! https://www.motionrc.com/products/mk...os-mks6005-002

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm coming from the nitro world and I'm just now learning electrics. BTW, I recently had an unexpected life change, and have decided to stock pile paycheck for a possible early retirement. I do want to finish this build but need to keeps costs reasonable. I need "value" components that still offer good reliability. I just don't need best of the best. With that in mind, how would this motor choice work out? https://www.scaleflying.com/Scorpion...or_p_2532.html

What Hobby Wing ESC would work with this motor? How about the Motion RC suggested servos? They seem less expensive than what others use? Looking for bang for the buck! https://www.motionrc.com/products/mk...os-mks6005-002
            Motor should work, I run 450Kv in mine, but it's not a Scorpion, servos will work just fine, 6.6v is what they are rated at, I use them in my 700 Cobra, seem fine so far, I would go all out on a nice tail servo though, not so much as for speed but torque to move those big tail blades, I actually cut my stock tail blades from 152mm to 135mm and they hold fine, can't figure out why Roban included such large tail blades, anyone??

Comment

How about the ESC? I have a hobby wing programmer so I would like to stay with that brand?

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Motor should work, I run 450Kv in mine, but it's not a Scorpion, servos will work just fine, 6.6v is what they are rated at, I use them in my 700 Cobra, seem fine so far, I would go all out on a nice tail servo though, not so much as for speed but torque to move those big tail blades, I actually cut my stock tail blades from 152mm to 135mm and they hold fine, can't figure out why Roban included such large tail blades, anyone??
                I agree with DC... 450kv motor should work especially if you are running a five blade head. Those MKS servos should do fine as well. Again, like DC said, I wouldn't go with the MRC recommended MKS servo for the tail... I would get a better tail servo. What HW ESC do you have? The 130A platinum pro series should be plenty fine...

Comment

I currently Have only a HW 120A but it's for another heli. What reasonably priced tail servo would you guys recommend?

Comment

Well... sub $100 I like the Torq BLS0704T:
                    This is a Torq BLS0704T Full Size HV Brushless Rudder Servo for Helicopters. This servo has been specifically designed for the intense demand of... TRQ-BLS0704T

Then everything decent (decent in my opinion) jumps to $120-$140 (for tail servo's)... I recently picking up a whole set BK servo's... and I'm here to say that they will be my go to servo's moving forward...
                    The tail BK Servo BK-9005HV
                    The BK-9005HV servo from BKServo offers pilots one of the highest performing servos available in the tail servo market today. The BK-9005HV is built... BKSBL14

Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Thanks again everyone. I now have a shopping list!

Comment

Thanks again everyone. I now have a shopping list!
                        Your welcome, got to like how everyone jumps in and tries to help out, one thing I do enjoy about hanging out here, lots of info is very helpful when setting up these scale helis, I have learned so much in the last few years.

Comment

Working...
                        X