X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting zero pitch at neutral

Hello. I have a Roban 700 Apache. I’m setting up my electronics using the ikon 2. I have the new curved tipped blades offered by Motion RC rather than the older style flat end blades. With the pitch set at middle stick. I have been able to get the four blades to .04. I can never get quite perfect 0. One half turn either way is too high or too low. But my question is that when the blades are like this, to the naked I the blade grips on the head look to be slightly negative. So I’m not sure if this has to do with the type of blades or not. What I call the zero line of the blade looks to be zero by the naked eye (actually .04 as stated above). But it seems wrong to me that the blade grips themselves seem to be negative to the naked eye.
    my second question has to do with slop. If I grab one of the blades and kind of lift up and down I get a bit of slop. It’s hard to describe how much. Maybe a degree negative and positive. Is this kind of normal for these mechanics?

One thing I do with all my Robans is to set the blade pitch with a symmetrical blade…not the asymmetrical Roban blades. That’s because I use an Align digital gauge that has worked well for me but does not index perfectly with flat blades. Some guys use a flat carpenter’s angle finder on the Roban blade bottom. Also, Tyler Gray sells a 3D printed block that tightens in the grip and doesn’t use a blade at all. Just some ideas for you…
    If your blade grips are tight (and Locktited!) you might “feel” some play but should not be anything close to loose. Can’t really describe it either, lol.

Comment

I printed blocks for the blade grips, worked perfect....

Comment

Hi guys. Thanks for the tips. I don’t have a printer and prefer not to purchase something else. But, Paw Paw, it sounds like if you leave the blades out of the equation then the grips are what should be zero?
        although if I do that I think I will have a degree or two of negative pitch at mid stick.

Comment

Yes, the grips are the goal here and by extension, the blades. No blade should have wash in or wash out…should be perfectly true. So, if the grip is zero, then the blade (measured at mid span) will be zero. Two things for you to consider: A common digital pitch gauge is configured, by design, for a symmetrical blade and will induce error if used on an asymmetrical blade. There is a warning contained in your Roban manual concerning that. Use a symmetrical blade instead….I use a 600mm blade, in fact. Length doesn’t matter! Second, make sure your Tx pitch curve is “standard”, i.e. -100, -50, 0, +50, +100. With your stick at midpoint, that will be the zero that you match your grip/blade angle to. Later you can modify your pitch curve, if you want, to give you 3-1/2 to 5 degrees at mid stick…but only after you finish the setup. IMHO, those flat bottomed Roban blades are “messing” with your attempts to reconcile the numbers and visual conflict you have from using them in your digital gauge. Good Luck!

Comment

Another thought: Your AH-64 is CCW rotation so when your digital gauge shows “-0.10” for example, that is actually a positive blade pitch value. Likewise, “0.10” will be a negative pitch value. That’s because most gauges are configured for CW rotation and it does not affect the accuracy…just important to remember when you adjust the linkages.

Comment

Thank you for that. Makes sense. And I figured that out about the gauge and rotation 😊

Comment

Working...
              X