X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roban 500 Size UH-1N build

I thought I started a thread for this last year when I got it, guess not. Finally after some set backs I have the Mechanics flying and have started the paint.
    I'm running:
    Microbeast pluse
    Align DS530 swash servos
    Align DS650 Tail servo
    Scorpion 3226 1400kv
    CC Talon 90
    12T pinion
    162T Main gear​
    custom made CF boom and torque tube (broke the original in mech flight last year)
    Align angled tail transmission
    Align scale tail gear set

After the crash (tail blew out) of the mechanics last year (April 2022), I had to rebuild the entire aft section and head. So it took some time. I now have several successful flights on the Mechanics and have started painting the body.

Gravy
    Attached Files

Here is where I am right now.
    I have 4 good full flights plus the first two shake down flights on the mechanics after my rebuild. It flies really well with no tail issues. I am concerned about the very soft pullouts. Just don't have the punch I would like and it's not even in the fuse yet.

Since its been over a year since the original maiden that ended with bent TT and boom and bent main shaft, full gear replacement. I started where I was and not rerunning numbers. Well I decided after this weekends 3 full flight to do just that. Let me say I am very surprised it flew as good as it did. and have deiced to make some changes. just not 100% which way to go, so I'm asking for opinions on the following options.

Also I do run in simple governor mode. I have to speeds Idle up and Flight, Both fixed throttle settings.

current set up:
    4s, 3226-1600kv scorion, 12T pinon and 162T main. 75% = 1276rpm and 80% = 1361. first 2 packs at 75%, this weekend I did 3 packs at 80%.

my options:
    I have a RCM-500MX 1600KV
    13T pinon
    14T pinon

Numbers I have ran:

1400kv: 4s
    13T; 75% = 1382, 80% = 1474
    14T; 75% = 1488, 80% = 1587

1600kv: 4s
    12T; 75% = 1458. 80% = 1555
    13T; 75% = 1579, 80% = 1685
    14T; 75% = 1700, 80% = 1814

I kind of like these numbers but concerned with heat and Amp pulls. What I like is I keep the scorpion motor and pinon.

1400kv: 6s
    12T; 60% = 1531, 65% = 1658, 70% 1786, 75% = 1913, 80% = 2041

I'm thinking I will be good around the 70% range.

So anyone have any experience with a scoripon 1600 using 12T and 6s? or anyone see what might be a better option with what I have listed above?

Thanks
    Gravy

Comment

Well isn’t this something. Note to self and anyone that may fall into the same situation. If you take a year break from a project take the time and go through everything from step one as though it was a new build.

long story short, through all this I discovered that I had designed this helicopter for 6s from the start.

kind of nice that I came to the same conclusion that o did when I first started this project over a year ago, but i could have done without the back to the drawing board moment.

i am very surprised it flew as well as it did with a head speed of around 1300 rpm’s

Gravy

Comment

Tomorrow I put some 6s packs in the mechanics. Today I added the black camo spots. Need to do some weathering on the black spots next. Then it’s all about clear coats and decals.

Gravy
        Attached Files

Comment

6s did not go so well. Once I got to 1680 rpm head speed it blew the tail off, I was using the align scale tail assembly.
          so I decided to say screw the scale gods and put on a 4 bladed head. I’ll be able to keep it down to 1400 rpm head speed and have plenty of punch it power.

The big issue I have now is finding Roban replacement parts. I need the two booms and torque tubs

I’m in contact with Zy hobby as someone told me they will go down to Roban and ask for the parts. 🤞

Gravy
          Attached Files

Comment

Paint and decals done. Next I’ll add the windows back in. Now just to get the mechanics flying……… again.

I did paint the exhaust ports after I took these pics.

Gravy
            Attached Files

Comment

Well almost two years in, she’s ready for air trials.

Gravy
              Attached Files

Comment

Yay I got the first flight in. I need to dial the tail in a little bit other than that she’s a keeper.

Gravy

Comment

Final touch. Not sure why but I just really want to put a happy face on it. I do like it which I guess is a good thing since there ain’t no going back.

Gravy
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                    Final touch. Not sure why but I just really want to put a happy face on it. I do like it which I guess is a good thing since there ain’t no going back.

Gravy
                    I like it!! :)

Comment

Working...
                    X