X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing mechanics only

I’m starting this so I can ask dumb questions, or at least questions I should know the answers to.

I’ll start with

Is it ok to run 2 blades only on a four blade head?

on a two blade setup with a tail riser TT setup (Huey UH-1) what is the max size of tail blades you would run?

so for the back story. I have blown the tail out twice now with two blade setup. The first time was the gears, the second was the tail head actually flew off. That was using the align scale tail.
    Both time Al was good until I got up to about 1600rpms.

setup
    1400kv 12t pinion, stock gear set 164t.
    480mm main blades
    95mm tail blades. I know they are big. But I originally planed on low head speed.

it flew good at about 1350rpm but would not of been good enough with the fuse.

so now I have the 4 bladed align head use a 900kv with 14t pinion running 1380rpm, but am having a huge issue getting blades close enough to get a full set balanced. Out of 10 blades all 430mm, I can get only matching 2 sets without adding a bunch of weight. I got 60gr set, 62gr set, 64gr set 66gr set and 68gr set. I have tried getting a full set to 62. Mostly good until it got in the air and I could see a vibration starting. I have tried matching opposing sets with a different matching opposing sets 90deg off. So the 60 and 62. That was horrible rightfully so.
    just went back to the set of 480’s only on the 4 blade head. Smooth as silk at idle up.

So now I want to go ba k the the 1400kv and 12t pinion and do some more testing with smaller tail feathers. My goal is to get back to 1600rpms and not have the tail blow out again. Im thinking my 95mm tail feathers were the cause and hope smaller ones hold. I did change out tail set to a standard metal setup.

I know we got some great Heli guys here, so please chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks
    Gravy
Working...
X