X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell 206 out of retirement!

OK so here's the story.... Built this model a while back and had 5 flights on it and all was very nice. It flew great right out of the gate! no issues. Then after about two years of sitting I cranked it back up and out of the blue it had no rudder authority at all and all it did was want to spin on the ground very fast. Before flying it i went through everything in the radio and with the BeastX and made sure of all the setting were the same as it was before it's last flight two years ago. It was never touched during this two year span.

Well after two days of grief why it's changed on me I decided to start over. Took it apart and started from square one going through all the linkages, pitches, gyro setting and so on. It took three days to get it back to where it is now. In this clip it's out of trim but it's close. I remember the placement of the batteries and yes I did a final balance of the bird with the skids horizontal.

In this video I'm flying heading hold but not sure if I was flying it before in Rate mode or Normal mode. I'm flying a Futaba T6K with the 3006Rx which is the same as before and all was beautiful.
    Now it flies like it never flew before and that has got me baffled.

I was wondering if the heli sits that long then doe's the BeastX and Tx loose it's information for the setting I had before?? I mean I got it to fly now and I can get it trimmed out to fly smooth again like before but when I cranked it up after those two years and couldn't get the tail to work right that just blew my mind! I was like WTF is going on!!!. anyway.... this battery may also be bad as this is why I kept it close. I had 23.5 volts on it and was expecting around at least 5 minutes but didn't get anywhere close to that as you can hear it start to die out in the clip.

Also my gyro is set at +40% AVC but I was wondering about using Rate Mode. Of course all of my setting were on Rate mode during the setup for setting the rudder limits in menu E on the BeastX so that's fine. I'm thinking to go back into the Parameter settings and reset those as well. Right now it's just the default factory settings.

Anyway... the first clip is from two years ago and now this last clip is from this evening. So as you can see, I have more work to do. I think I'll get a couple of new batteries too. I currently use PULSE 5000 6s at 35c and a LiFe 6.2 2s for the radio gear. The 5000 is only powering the motor.

The kit is the Trex 550X Dominator that came with all the servos (820's and 825 Tail) BeastX v5.0 and the Motor (BL730MX 960KV 4230) and C.Y. 700 Rotor blades so nothing as far as hardware has changed since it first flew but again it didn't want to fly at all when I cranked it back up after it was sitting.... puzzled. I was actually afraid to fly it not knowing what it might do after the tail wasn't co-operating with me.

Anyway.... let me know your thoughts and any info about the gyro setting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and hope all of you are doing well. Peace!.

-------------------------------------

First clip when she was flying beautiful right out the gate:

Clip from today after two years of sitting and no changes what so ever!:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20231105_173240186.jpg Views:	0 Size:	312.4 KB ID:	389799

Comment

I too have had mine on the bench the past few weeks. I built mine about 4 years ago - Trex 700E. I haven't serviced the mechanics so I thought it would be a good time to do it. And I'm glad I did. I found both brackets that attach the mechanics to the fuselage broken. Couldn't find any replacement parts, so I drew them and printed them. File is on Thingiverse. I also wanted to clean up the wiring ( it was my first build so it was rushed cause I was impatient). I also am adding a few scale details - anti-slip tape on the skids, and I also cut the steps to match the scale skids. I'm about to put the mechanics back in the fuselage hopefully this week. The other issue I am addressing is CG. It was always tail heavy, so I want to move the batteries from the sides up to the front more to rebalance. I made a plywood floor for the cockpit area to place the batteries. Anyway, it's a work in progress.

But to answer your question, I haven't run into an issue of settings being lost. I'm running an Ikon2 and haven't had any issues with it. I hope you can get yours tuned and flying great soon.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4237.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.1 KB ID:	389839 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4538.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.1 KB ID:	389844 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4357.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	389840 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4360.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.7 KB ID:	389841 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4470.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	389842 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4550.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	389843 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4540.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.4 KB ID:	389845

Comment

Hey thanks CM_Aero!, yeah it was totally weird and it was only the tail that wouldn't sit still, just wanted to spin or ground loop "in fixed wing terms" like it didn't have a gyro at all and it was put up away in an closet on the top shelve to make sure it was never touched and then I go to fly it again and it was a whole different animal! scared the heck outta me because I damn sure wasn't expecting the erratic behavior. Im just glad I caught it before it got airborne.

Anyway here's a few shots of the model when I was building it and had my inner workings installed. I had to make a box for it to sit on but that worked out great and gave a really nice height for the rotor head above the doghouse. Also included a few of my old heli's from the past...

Thanks again for your reply and I hope you get yours going as well without any issues.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200618_200129_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.7 KB ID:	389862 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200618_195851.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	389863 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210720_224804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.9 KB ID:	389864 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200618_200434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.8 KB ID:	389865 Click image for larger version  Name:	20191015_062213.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	389866 Click image for larger version  Name:	20191015_073214.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	389867 Click image for larger version  Name:	05-05-08_1335.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	389868 Click image for larger version  Name:	0210a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	389869 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1503.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.0 KB ID:	389870 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1582.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.2 KB ID:	389871 Click image for larger version  Name:	MD530.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.3 KB ID:	389872 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211210_111622.png Views:	0 Size:	523.0 KB ID:	389873

Attached Files

Comment

Good looking fleet! Cheers

Comment

Thanks CM but I don't have those anymore... sold them all. I only have the 206 now.

Comment

Working...
            X