X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre purchase advice required...

Hi all, i want to buy the Roban 600 Bell h/c - it states in the ad that it's a conversion kit. I thought it is a self/part build - conversion suggests just that, changing the specs of a pre built airframe. Enlighten me please...

Which one is that Bell your talking about, h/c?
    These are fuselages and require your own mechanics to install in the fuselage so expect to do some modifications to the fuse or mechanics if needed.

Comment

Hiya DC Corsair, greetings from the River Mersey, Wirral side UK...Roban Bell JetRanger B212 600 is the one I'm after sir - I fancy this as a project & to put it together over a few months ( a bit expensive to buy all the parts at once...)
      I've never flown a helicopter before (except on MSFS2020 -& quite experienced & competent at it) but I have flown drones etc. I have built & flown my own a/c (a six foot Highboy) many moons ago & currently, I own two, 1 metre lenght remote controlled tug boats - so I'm familiar with the electronics side of the hobby. I intend to enroll at my local RC Model Aircraft club tomorrow & hopefully, that can help me out in my very exciting, new(ish) part of my RC aviation adventure...

Comment

Originally posted by Icebreaker View Post
        I've never flown a helicopter before (except on MSFS2020 -& quite experienced & competent at it) but I have flown drones etc.

Just my 2 cents but i would NOT recommend starting off with a scale anything if you aren't 100 proficient with an RC helicopter. These are a pita to get setup correctly and its best to fly the mechanics outside of the body until they are dialed in because otherwise you will be taking them in and out 20 times,

Better to save your money and get a small 250 - 450 size pod and boom and learn and become comfortable with hovering, figures of 8, nose in hovering and autorotation, then spend the money on a nice scale kit. You will be far happier in the end.

Comment

Noted ELCid, sound advice sir - just the feedback I require &, I need the benefit of experienced rotorheads as I venture forward into the unknown... ( For me though, a very exciting challenge - just what I want )...

Comment

it's a FANTASTIC hobby, but you will only stick with it by having success and success means a few crashes along the way. Everyone on these forms has totaled several planes and/or helicopters, it comes with the hobby.

YOU WILL CRASH but its better to ball up a $350 heli pod and boom you can repair for $90 (usually blades and tail boom) then a $3000 scale job you have to bin and end up giving up the hobby up in disgust.

Comment

... I've never flown a helicopter before ...
              This guy, (John Salt,) will get you off on the right foot. He's been at it for a long time and you can trust what he says. His website is a very good place to start...

RC Helicopter Fun

Welcome to the addiction!​

Comment

Hiya DC Corsair, greetings from the River Mersey, Wirral side UK...Roban Bell JetRanger B212 600 is the one I'm after sir - I fancy this as a project & to put it together over a few months ( a bit expensive to buy all the parts at once...)
                I've never flown a helicopter before (except on MSFS2020 -& quite experienced & competent at it) but I have flown drones etc. I have built & flown my own a/c (a six foot Highboy) many moons ago & currently, I own two, 1 metre lenght remote controlled tug boats - so I'm familiar with the electronics side of the hobby. I intend to enroll at my local RC Model Aircraft club tomorrow & hopefully, that can help me out in my very exciting, new(ish) part of my RC aviation adventure...
                Hello Icebreaker,

Please take our advise that you are reading here and not start off with a big scale heli for your first adventure, an 18lb-20lb scale heli is not very forgiving if something goes wrong, it will destroy itself rather quickly. I have been flying helis for at least 30 yrs, small helis were not available back when I started so I started out with 600 size nitro powered for years then 700 size and now 700/800 size Roban kits. I know you said you fly drones but helis are still different because you have to learn the build and how to set them up, set up is the most important part of getting these big scale helis to fly like you want, if you miss these important steps you may not be successful and end of spending a large amount of money and get discouraged and of course quitting. I would research and see what is the best parts supply for maybe a 500-600 size pod and boom heli if you have the budget, if not then go with a small heli like others recommend. I did try the small helis that are available now and found them harder to set up and fly, if a budget is a problem then go with one of them, if your really going to jump into this scale stuff then even one of those small scale helis that have all that safe mode installed will get you started, learn all your orientation flying with it them then move up as you progress, they have them with scale bodies so you will feel like your flying scale anyway, lol. If you have the budget then go with a small heli to learn on and be building your dream scale heli at the same time your learning to fly the pod and boom heli, what you learn with you beginner heli you can apply it to your scale heli mechanics, except for the building of the fuselage that takes work and most of them take building skills, expect lots of dremel work and fitting of the parts over and over, gluing and sanding and lots of patience. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

Comment

Thanks DCC... I am taking on your valued advice, I have seen countless YouTube RC Heli crash vids... If it's not set up correctly...Scary as !...
                  I'm very good at self assembly of all sorts, but, in this case I'm no aeronautical engineer - which is the skill required (to a point!) to safely assemble these awesome bits of kit - I DO need tuition on this point & like everyone has said, it would be very foolish & costly to fly before I can walk (see what I did​​​​ there - English humor 🤣)
                  So for that reason I'll be at Kirby Moss flying club on Sunday, looking & learning & deciding whether to invest in little or large. I might even get Andy to set up my chosen heli when ready... He has well established RC everything shop, so I might even end up getting something from there 🤔
                  Let's see what happens guys & gals...

Comment

Thanks DCC... I am taking on your valued advice, I have seen countless YouTube RC Heli crash vids... If it's not set up correctly...Scary as !...
                    I'm very good at self assembly of all sorts, but, in this case I'm no aeronautical engineer - which is the skill required (to a point!) to safely assemble these awesome bits of kit - I DO need tuition on this point & like everyone has said, it would be very foolish & costly to fly before I can walk (see what I did​​​​ there - English humor 🤣)
                    So for that reason I'll be at Kirby Moss flying club on Sunday, looking & learning & deciding whether to invest in little or large. I might even get Andy to set up my chosen heli when ready... He has well established RC everything shop, so I might even end up getting something from there 🤔
                    Let's see what happens guys & gals...
                    No problem, welcome to scale helis if you do go that route at first, big or small take your time and learn all you can and don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions, there are a lot more guys on here who can help and who are way more knowledgeable than me that's for sure, I have way more flying skills than building skills but I have built a few, well maybe 20 scale helis or so.....

Comment

Working...
                    X