X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Said Goodbyb to a Cousin

I just returned from a trip to Washington D. C. I attended the funeral of a man I looked up to, Brigadier General Terry Butler. Terry was my oldest cousin on my Dad's side of the family.

His military story reads like a movie script, joined the Army during Viet Nam as a private, showed an aptitude for flying and became a Chinook pilot, serving two tours. After the war the Army was dropping pilots like hot rocks, so Terry transferred to the Air Force and learned to fly jets, then finally settled down flying C-130s for the WV Air Guard, eventually attaining the rank of General. His retirement was cut terribly short by ALS.

I served in the Army for 9 years and I have been a police officer for 28, so I have seen some official funerals, but I had never been present for a funeral with all the military honors at Arlington National Cemetery. From the Air Force Band and horse drawn caisson to the C-130 flying from WV to do a fly by over the ceremony, it was a humbling experience. I hated to say good bye to my cousin, but I was honored to see him receive the send off he deserved.

Thank you both for your service

Comment

What beautiful way to honor your cousin for his service. Also thank you for your service.

Comment

Echo the sentiments above. Sounded like one hell of a man. My hat is off and over my heart for you both.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
          I just returned from a trip to Washington D. C. I attended the funeral of a man I looked up to, Brigadier General Terry Butler.
          wvrailfan, My condolences to you and your family upon the death of Vietnam Veteran Soldier/Pilot, Brig. Gen.Terry Butler. I thank you and by default, your cousin for your service. Best, Elbee
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
          X