First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-line "window shopping" for the next airplane

For my first post in Hobby Squawk....

Background:

I got back into flying RC airplanes this summer and I now have 11 models on my DX6 transmitter. I had flown many years ago and at that time worked my way up to some giant scale planes such as my 10' wingspan Edge 540, which I still have.

The first thing that I learned this summer was how far electric flying had advanced since my earlier days. All of my newer planes are electric, which was not something I anticipated. I have a strange mix of airplanes that include :
    E-Flight Timber (first plane)
    E-Flight Ultimate biplane
    Addiction XL (my only non-foam plane)
    A bunch of small foamys
    L-39 EDF

I love the convenience of the small foamys. I can charge batteries quickly and get ready to fly on short notice. I typically take 3 foamys with me so I can mix it up. I have gravitated to the planes that are EPP foam because they are nearly indestructible.

Like many others I have always admired jets. I had the impression that turbines were expensive, unreliable and maintenance intensive, so I admired them from a distance. I also had the impression that EDF's were underpowered, poor performing toys, boy was I wrong. Thanks to the internet, YouTube and retailer websites, I was able to educated myself and gain a new appreciation for EDF's. I had never seen an EDF fly at my club field (only 8 minutes from my home). Fortunately I got into a conversation with one of the guys that I knew from my past flying (Sam) and he had some experience with jets, both Turbine and EDF's that he shared with me. I told Sam that I have been looking at one of the lower cost EDF's on the Motion RC website. Sam encouraged me to thing about something bigger and told me how much he love the 90mm Stinger.

My first on-line shopping for an EDF

Thanks to my buddies at the local flying field I was aware of Motion RC, which has become my "go-to" for all things RC airplane. I spend may days studying the EDF's on Motions sight and watch all of the Pilot Ryan and Captain Mike videos I could find. I made spreadsheet comparing the physical properties of EDF's. After days of studying EDF's and exploring a little self doubt in my abilities to keep up with a jet, I pulled the trigger and ordered the then new L-39 Albatros. Compared to other planes, this was the simplest "build" I had ever experienced. I was then and remain in awe of the number of parts, fit and finish and the amount of engineering, development and manufacturing tooling that is involved to make this airplane. I have a new found appreciation for Freewing (and others) who do so much to make this hobby so rich with value.

Early EDF flights

I wanted my friend Sam to make the maiden flight with my L-39 and then coach me with my first EDF flight. Sam is a commercial airline pilot so we had to work around his availability and find a day with suitable weather. Finally the day came and I was nervous. My greatest concern was the speed of the jet and keeping up with it as well as everything involved with landing.

Sam walked the L-39 out on the runway explaining that for the first flight he prefers on to use battery capacity to taxi the airplane. Sam took off and talked me though everything he was doing, although I was so excited I don't know how much sunk in. Just a few clicks of trim then checkout the flap elevator mix, which was fine, then land. We installed a fresh fully charged battery and now it was my turn, my first EDF flight! This was a morning flight and unlike afternoon flights when the sun was behind us, the sun was a obstacle which had to be avoided. I took off to the South and climbed out. I made a 180 degree turn to the left and began the downwind leg. I had climbed pretty high to avoid the sun and flew to the North and made a few turns to get use to the airplane. Then my greatest fear became reality, I lost visual on the airplane. "Sam, I've lost it" I said. "I've got it" he said as I handed him the transmitter. I was right, these jet fly fast and climb fast. This was a lesson that I will never forget and I am so glad Sam was there to save the day.

I watched the weather and tried to find a suitable day. I'm retired so I don't have the limitations on time others do. Early morning flights are tempting but with a jet, I don't want to have to deal with the sun. But alas, I have realized that cloud cover will block the sun. So my next flights were on an overcast day about 11:00 AM. I was the only one at the flying field, so I was on my own. I was sure not let the airplane get too high and got in two successful flights with two successful landings and several practice approaches. All was good with the world and I sent Sam a message letting him know of my success.

Today

Today is November 9, 2018, it is 32 degrees and we have snow on the ground in Kansas City, So today I am making my first post on Hobby Squawk and we enter the season of watching flying on YouTube and trying to remember watching flying does not make us better pilots. My goal for next flying season is to become proficient in flying EDF's and I am deep in the phase of thinking about what my next airplane should be and I have decided it should be another EDF.

Short list for second EDF

So, here is my short list for my second EDF. I would welcome any suggestions from experienced EDF pilots.

- Avanti S - This airplane is the obvious jet trainer and if it had been in stock at the time it would likely have been my first EDF. Positives are: 1) reputation for easy to fly EDF, 2) yellow and white colors would be easy for old tired eyes to see in the sky, 3) Trailing link suspension (I fly off of a grass field)

- ME262 - Positives 1) I like the historic aspect of this plane, being the first WWII jet and being at the leading edge of jet development. 2) The idea of a twin engine jet is appealing. 3) The shape of the wings seems like it would make it fly like a conventional (non-delta or swept wing). Concerns: 1) Camo color look cool but may make the plane hard to see in some flying conditions. 2) I wonder about the suitability of the landing gear for a grass field.

-T-45 - Positives 1) 90mm fan performance 2) High visibility florescent red and white scheme should make it easy to see. 3) Trailing link struts. Concerns 1) At the moment I only have a 6 channel radio and the T-45 uses 7 channels. Would it be possible to leave the leading edge slats disconnected and fly suitably.

I doubt that many will take the time to read all of this, but if you did, please let me hear from you.

Bob DeGood

Originally posted by fastforward View Post
    For my first post in Hobby Squawk....

Background:

I got back into flying RC airplanes this summer and I now have 11 models on my DX6 transmitter. I had flown many years ago and at that time worked my way up to some giant scale planes such as my 10' wingspan Edge 540, which I still have.

The first thing that I learned this summer was how far electric flying had advanced since my earlier days. All of my newer planes are electric, which was not something I anticipated. I have a strange mix of airplanes that include :
    E-Flight Timber (first plane)
    E-Flight Ultimate biplane
    Addiction XL (my only non-foam plane)
    A bunch of small foamys
    L-39 EDF

I love the convenience of the small foamys. I can charge batteries quickly and get ready to fly on short notice. I typically take 3 foamys with me so I can mix it up. I have gravitated to the planes that are EPP foam because they are nearly indestructible.

Like many others I have always admired jets. I had the impression that turbines were expensive, unreliable and maintenance intensive, so I admired them from a distance. I also had the impression that EDF's were underpowered, poor performing toys, boy was I wrong. Thanks to the internet, YouTube and retailer websites, I was able to educated myself and gain a new appreciation for EDF's. I had never seen an EDF fly at my club field (only 8 minutes from my home). Fortunately I got into a conversation with one of the guys that I knew from my past flying (Sam) and he had some experience with jets, both Turbine and EDF's that he shared with me. I told Sam that I have been looking at one of the lower cost EDF's on the Motion RC website. Sam encouraged me to thing about something bigger and told me how much he love the 90mm Stinger.

My first on-line shopping for an EDF

Thanks to my buddies at the local flying field I was aware of Motion RC, which has become my "go-to" for all things RC airplane. I spend may days studying the EDF's on Motions sight and watch all of the Pilot Ryan and Captain Mike videos I could find. I made spreadsheet comparing the physical properties of EDF's. After days of studying EDF's and exploring a little self doubt in my abilities to keep up with a jet, I pulled the trigger and ordered the then new L-39 Albatros. Compared to other planes, this was the simplest "build" I had ever experienced. I was then and remain in awe of the number of parts, fit and finish and the amount of engineering, development and manufacturing tooling that is involved to make this airplane. I have a new found appreciation for Freewing (and others) who do so much to make this hobby so rich with value.

Early EDF flights

I wanted my friend Sam to make the maiden flight with my L-39 and then coach me with my first EDF flight. Sam is a commercial airline pilot so we had to work around his availability and find a day with suitable weather. Finally the day came and I was nervous. My greatest concern was the speed of the jet and keeping up with it as well as everything involved with landing.

Sam walked the L-39 out on the runway explaining that for the first flight he prefers on to use battery capacity to taxi the airplane. Sam took off and talked me though everything he was doing, although I was so excited I don't know how much sunk in. Just a few clicks of trim then checkout the flap elevator mix, which was fine, then land. We installed a fresh fully charged battery and now it was my turn, my first EDF flight! This was a morning flight and unlike afternoon flights when the sun was behind us, the sun was a obstacle which had to be avoided. I took off to the South and climbed out. I made a 180 degree turn to the left and began the downwind leg. I had climbed pretty high to avoid the sun and flew to the North and made a few turns to get use to the airplane. Then my greatest fear became reality, I lost visual on the airplane. "Sam, I've lost it" I said. "I've got it" he said as I handed him the transmitter. I was right, these jet fly fast and climb fast. This was a lesson that I will never forget and I am so glad Sam was there to save the day.

I watched the weather and tried to find a suitable day. I'm retired so I don't have the limitations on time others do. Early morning flights are tempting but with a jet, I don't want to have to deal with the sun. But alas, I have realized that cloud cover will block the sun. So my next flights were on an overcast day about 11:00 AM. I was the only one at the flying field, so I was on my own. I was sure not let the airplane get too high and got in two successful flights with two successful landings and several practice approaches. All was good with the world and I sent Sam a message letting him know of my success.

Today

Today is November 9, 2018, it is 32 degrees and we have snow on the ground in Kansas City, So today I am making my first post on Hobby Squawk and we enter the season of watching flying on YouTube and trying to remember watching flying does not make us better pilots. My goal for next flying season is to become proficient in flying EDF's and
    I am deep in the phase of thinking about what my next airplane should be and I have decided it should be another EDF.

Short list for second EDF

So, here is my short list for my second EDF. I would welcome any suggestions from experienced EDF pilots.

- Avanti S - This airplane is the obvious jet trainer and if it had been in stock at the time it would likely have been my first EDF. Positives are: 1) reputation for easy to fly EDF, 2) yellow and white colors would be easy for old tired eyes to see in the sky, 3) Trailing like suspension (I fly off of a grass field)

- ME262 - Positives 1) I like the historic aspect of this plane, being the first WWII jet and being at the leading edge of jet development. 2) The idea of a twin engine jet is appealing. 3) The shape of the wings seems like it would make it fly like a conventional (non-delta or swept wing). Concerns: 1) Camo color look cool but may make the plane hard to see in some flying conditions. 2) I wonder about the suitability of the landing gear for a grass field.

-T-45 - Positives 1) 90mm fan performance 2) High visibility florescent red and white scheme should make it easy to see. 3) Trailing link struts. Concerns 1) At the moment I only have a 6 channel radio and the T-45 uses 7 channels. Would it be possible to leave the leading edge slats disconnected and fly suitably.

I doubt that may will take the time to read all of this, but if you did, please let me hear from you.
    Welcome to Hobby Squawk and what a great first post!

All three of those are good choices, I'm mostly into military planes so the ME-262 and T-45 would be my first two choices and I would probably go with the 262 first as it is a good plane to build EDF experience with.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

For my first post in Hobby Squawk...
      Hey FFWD, A very Happy Welcome to the Squawk. And I read every word. I do not own any of the aircraft you are looking at purchasing, though if you look at the "Official" threads for each, you'll definitely find an answer. Best and post pictures. LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Welcome to Hobby Squawk and what a great first post!

All three of those are good choices, I'm mostly into military planes so the ME-262 and T-45 would be my first two choices and I would probably go with the 262 first as it is a good plane to build EDF experience with.
        From your experience, how will the ME-262 do on a grass field? Thanks

Comment

Welcome home to Hobby Squawk, FastForward!

Having developed two of those three models on your list, I'd recommend them in the same order you organized them based on your stated EDF experience and skill objectives. Avanti, Me-262, T-45. The Avanti and Me-262 are both easy to land, but the Avanti's trailing link mains will help you more on grass, as will its brighter color scheme. Additionally, the Avanti's single EDF buried in the fuselage without a cheater inlet will be much less vulnerable to FOD from your grass field compared to the Me-262's low underslung nacelles. The T-45 is a beautiful jet, one of our first Super Scales that we developed, but its higher wing loading and much more complex landing gear doors make it a less suitable candidate as your second jet after the L-39. All three models are operated on grass by many of our customers, and we have videos showing all three on grass on our YouTube channel. But in the context of this conversation we're after which is better than the others, even if "better" is incremental.

In terms of ease of operation overall (flight envelope, wing loading, grass capability, etc), I'd loosely rank them as follows: Avanti, L-39, Me-262, T-45. Factoring in lower cost make the first three even more appealing.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Welcome to the Squawk!!! I did read all of your post, and I agree with Alpha! The L-39 is sweet, and does not compare to the T-45. I have 34 years of flying, and the T-45 is sweet, but you need some experience with heavier wing loaded aircraft... The foam jets are not nearly as heavy as the turbines or giant warbirds, but comparing same-same, the L-39 is much more forgiving than the T-45!!

Comment

From your experience, how will the ME-262 do on a grass field? Thanks
              Excellent, I've never even flown mine on pavement:Cool:
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                Welcome home to Hobby Squawk, FastForward!

Having developed two of those three models on your list, I'd recommend them in the same order you organized them based on your stated EDF experience and skill objectives. Avanti, Me-262, T-45. The Avanti and Me-262 are both easy to land, but the Avanti's trailing link mains will help you more on grass, as will its brighter color scheme. Additionally, the Avanti's single EDF buried in the fuselage without a cheater inlet will be much less vulnerable to FOD from your grass field compared to the Me-262's low underslung nacelles. The T-45 is a beautiful jet, one of our first Super Scales that we developed, but its higher wing loading and much more complex landing gear doors make it a less suitable candidate as your second jet after the L-39. All three models are operated on grass by many of our customers, and we have videos showing all three on grass on our YouTube channel. But in the context of this conversation we're after which is better than the others, even if "better" is incremental.

In terms of ease of operation overall (flight envelope, wing loading, grass capability, etc), I'd loosely rank them as follows: Avanti, L-39, Me-262, T-45. Factoring in lower cost make the first three even more appealing.
                Alpha, just out of curiosity, which of those did you not develop?

Comment

The Me-262 preceded Motion RC's partnership with Freewing, so I was not involved in that aircraft's development in ~2010. I was only involved in last year's 12B upgrade (our redesigned impeller/motor combo) and the recent livery change to Yellow 7.
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks for the info. Pretty cool the Me-262 is still going strong 8 years later!!

Comment

The 262 is a good bird!! I have always wanted to do a different German Luft. camo on her, and then Alpha beat me to it!!! BRAVO!!! I have to take her down and fly again. It has been almost two (2) years since the last flight! :Straight-Face:

Comment

Sorry, no jet time in models but welcome to the Squawk!

Comment

Thanks to all who provided information to help with the decision. Last night I placed an order for an Avanti S. Based on the available data, it was an obvious choice, yet still one that I struggled with a bit.

Later today I'm going to take the L-39 out for a couple of flights. The high today is going to be 43, but since jet flights are short, I think it will work out.

Bob DeGood

Comment

Working...
                          X