X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant: Illinois Residence and Sales Tax

I don't think I've ever posted a rant before, but I figure this is worth the discussion.

A lot of people seem to complain about prices of airframes (be it Freewing or eflite, etc) , and how it lacks the features for the price-point. Yet, people seem to forget that they don't have to pay sales tax (7% from MotionRC, 9% from Horizon Hobby) if they don't live in the state of the warehouse.

To put it into perspective:
    FW A-10 listed for $599, but $641 in state
    F-35 V3 is $273, but $299 in state
    FMS BF109 is $314, but $342 in state

Last fall I bought the 1.4M FMS BF-109, but purchased it direct from FMS instead of through Horizon. Both had free shipping, but with Horizon I would be paying an extra 9% sales tax.

I've purchased the FW A-10, 70mm YAK and F-16, and plenty of building supplies, batteries, parts, etc. from MotionRC. Sales tax alone I probably could have another plane or 2 in my fleet.

Doesn't change the fact that I still plan on buying Freewing and FlightLine planes (planning on picking up the F35 this summer). But I will say that if comparable options are available (FMS/durafly/Avios/etc.) it definitely plays a considerable factor when it comes to purchase time.

Tower Hobbies is another Illinois company too...

TL;DR be happy that you don't have to pay an extra 7% for Freewing/FlightLine planes or 9% for eflite.
Working...
X