X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-17 "Nine-O-Nine" Crashes

The B-17 Nine-O-Nine from the Collings Foundation crashed today. Appears to be a total loss...Thankfully the pilot, crew and paying passengers all seem to have survived. 11 airworthy B-17s left in the world.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-wor...es-in-fireball
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Thanks Aros. Tough deal. Trust the Collin's Foundation finds another. Time to send donations? Hope all passengers and crew are doing well. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I always love the idea of supporting these wonderful foundations that support the living history of these iconic aircraft that is such a vital part of our aviation's history. The cost to restore, maintain and fly these marvels of history is astronomical. It's why I would gladly pay the $450-$500 "donation" to fly in one for even just 20 minutes...From their website:

The foundation is a 40-year-old educational nonprofit that organizes and supports "'living history' events and the preservation, exhibition and interaction of historical artifacts that enable Americans to learn more about their heritage through direct participation," according to its website. It counts the Wings of Freedom Tour as a "major focus" of its endeavors.
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I flew on the Nine-0-Nine 2 years ago almost to the day. So sad, such a awesome flight.
        Planes
        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

Very sad news indeed... I didn't get a jump seat on her, but I did have the honor
          of touring her a few years back.. same time I got that avatar pic even.
          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

totally gutted at the loss today. Nine-O-Nine has always been my favorite B-17. She is the first one I remember seeing as a kid and built models of her, did a painting of her nose art for one of my art classes, and built my RC B-17 to match her. While reports of the accident vary wildly, there are more and more reports of two fatalities, 3 critical that were airlifted, and no updates on the rest. The loss of Nine-O-Nine and the possible loss of life is just devastating.

Comment

Devastating indeed. A sad day. I have a 1875mm B-17 V2 in silver...I know what livery I will be repainting her in as a tribute. Prayers to the victims and their families.
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

One of mine is painted up as her Hobbyking 1875mm B-17G Nine-O-Nine BuNo 231909 by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr the other is Yankee Lady.

It feels like I lost a friend today as I have spent so much time with the plane as a kid and teen, talked to some of the crew online over the years, have so many pictures of her, and even my A2 jacket has the 91st BG patch on it as I had hoped to take it to Bomber Camp with me.

Comment

Latest reports is 5 fatalities.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Bumped to 7 now, 3 critical injured, 3 moderate injured. There were 13 on board with 3 crew and one person on the ground was injured. One still missing from the count. I have not listened to the released ATC communication, but those who have had say there was an engine failure or fire just after take-off. The crew requested emergency landing and were heading back to the airport. She wasn't able to gain altitude and ran out of luck. For all of us who spent time with Nine-O-Nine and her crew, we will miss them all.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who lost their lives in the accident, and those still struggling to recover. My brother and I saw and went through Nine O Nine for multiple years at Oshkosh, and the dedication to their mission was nothing short of exceptional. It was always one of our favorite aircraft to see in show center. It is a devastating loss to the close knit Warbird community, and a tragedy for all who support their mission.

Comment

Well said. Just a big loss in many ways.
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Truly a tragic loss both of life and of a great aircraft... It certainly feels like a loss of family... God Speed to everyone involved. Jerry

Comment

RIP

Comment

Here my first and only ride back in end of Oct of 2017. Something I'll never forget. I even got to talk to Mac for a little big as we were the last ride before going on static display

Planes
                              -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                              -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

Wow, so sad, a friend of mine just took a flight in that one not to long ago, my prayers go out to those who lost loved ones and all those involved.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Warbirds in Cody2013 056.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	224709Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3455.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	224710
                                  My memories of this great bird, so glad I had a chance to see her. I read somewhere that a warbird could start with the manufacturers plate, hopefully there are enough salvageable parts to see another B-17 take to the skies. So sad the same could not be said about those who were tragically killed....

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                  X