X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA reveals first electric airplane.

Named the Maxwell X-57. Should be interesting how it performs.

Electric full scale aircraft seem to be making significant advances. Here's a race plane that showed up at the Dubai Airshow recently. Note the prop configuration. I know that it's a bit cliche', but this one really does look fast just sitting there.
    Airbus-backed Air Race E notes that the future of aviation is electric, and plans to stage the first all-electric air race in 2020. Its first airplane, dubbed White Lightning, was revealed on day one of the Dubai Airshow.

Comment

The LEAP technology on the X-57 sorta boggles my mind from an aerodynamic perspective, I'm excited to see where this leads aviation.

The stable supply and cost structure of the raw materials needed to produce these types of batteries remains in my mind the key determinant to widespread acceptance of this kind of tech. Safety and Performance and GWh/lb can be sussed out over time, but the supply of raw materials is less certain. I don't think many people realize that over half of the world's supply of cobalt, a necessary ingredient in these batteries, comes from the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Well the Wright Brothers originally were going to use an electric moor in their first plane. The problem was they didn't have anywhere at Kitty Hawk to plug in a 1000 ft extension cord.

Comment

Working...
        X