X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unofficial Official Quarantine Thread

With this historic global pandemic that has affected all of our lives, I was just curious how you all are coping. Hopefully everyone is staying safe. What are you and your loved ones doing to keep busy? We have many trails by our home so I have been very fortunate to use them often. I tend to use my lunch breaks and/or after work to hike the trails. I feel very fortunate that I have the opportunity to work from home and so far we haven't been impacted like so many others have. I don't fly at a club field, I fly at the local Junior High or an amphitheater and social distancing isn't an issue since I rarely see anyone at those places. So outside of social gathering, my life hasn't changed too much. Yeah it's strange to go to the grocery store wearing a mask but for the most part I feel blessed to have my health, my family and friends are healthy, and with the knowledge this will all end one day, I still have my sanity.

Now my teenage daughter's phone addiction is another matter!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I feel pretty lucky during this whole thing. My job is considered essential. So, I'm still working. And, our association owns our field and it is miles away from anywhere. So, we are still flying. And, I'm building a Kieth Sparks P-47 in the meantime.

Glad to hear that you and your family are fairing well, Aros. Don't have any daughters though. So can't offer any advice there.

Comment

We have very different experiences in different parts of the country. In our more populous eastern states the police can fine or gaol you for leaving the house outside of a small set of specified reasons. In my state of South Australia the spread has been far more contained so, whilst we obviously stay home as much as practicable, and there are rules, and many businesses have been closed, we are allowed out of the house (for example to go fly planes in parks, although we are only doing so on our own).

We are seemingly having good success in flattening the curve and our public healthcare system has performed brilliantly in looking after those who fall ill.

Above all my overwhelming sense is one of gratitude for still having a job and being healthy. Australia has a service-based economy which has been devastated by social distancing measures. My heart is heavy with many friends and family being out of the job.

Our balanced social distancing measures coupled with work affording us flexibility in our schedules has meant that I have been out flying more than I probably ever have, which has been really valuable for clearing the head. The shuttering of international and domestic flights has effectively closed the postal networks down, so I'm even saving money because there's no point ordering RC stuff online.

I hope you are all keeping well.

Comment

I sequestered myself almost a month ago because of all the health issues I've had to overcome and have only left the house twice in this time.
        In those two times while out driving to/from the necessary destination I am totally dismayed by observing how many of the lower end of the gene pool(read dumbasses) out there just don't get.
        I witness so many accounts of no social distancing or lack of protection. I think it should be called spatial distancing, just maybe it would sink in a little more.
        Even within our own ranks of modelers it is there. Over on RCG 3 weeks ago on the Lebanon Swap Meet thread, the naysayers calling it a hoax and saying unbelievable stuff like "you scared ones stay home which means more models for me" This was when the Feds just put out recommendations for groups of no larger than 10 but do ya think the organizers of a 1000+ person event consisting of old people would cancel...…….NO. Just simply pathetic !!!
        I sometimes really begin to wonder how humanity really got this far Until a vaccine arrives on the horizon we as humans have lost our tactile social abilities to maybe never return
        I was talking with TJ yesterday and we both sorta chuckled about the hoopla that folks are raising about being home all this time.
        I've for the most part of the past 15 years am alone during the day but have managed to keep my sanity because I keep myself involved in activities that keep the creative juices of my brain moving forward.
        Rather simple plan, but then again having the dreams of a young boy again messing with models is pretty cool
        Please be safe all my fellow pilots and brothers of service.
        With best regards,
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks Warbird! I've also noticed the same dumb asses here in Chicago, they just don't get it. I went by our flying field Saturday and low and behold there's a whole group of the usual non member weekend fliers congregating. If that keeps up the county is going to shut down our flying field thanks to all those morons. Stay safe Charlie.

Comment

Yep there's no shortage of dummies that's for sure. I think people are doing a decent job for the most part but my neighbors were having a hot tub party with their neighbors the other day. I was like, "What?!?!"

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Sometimes I think this virus could be just the chlorine we need in the gene pool.

Comment

We have been semi-lucky over here. Just the wife and me... no big fam. Just one son that lives across town with his g/f. The luck, for us, is that the wife works for a big banking corporation and has been able to work from her computer at home. We've been locked in for a few weeks now. Haven't been to the field.. and yes, DT's are starting to kick in! When the winds are in agreement, I just fly the UMX Timber Turbo out front in my cul-de-sac. Otherwise, I've got a lot of hours on the RF9 Sim.
                We still have way too many idjets running around without a care for the world. Although we have taken to the grocery delivery thing around here, TP is still hard to to come by and we may make a run to the store real quick every now and then. Otherwise.. it's cabin fever for a while. We do wear masks when we do have to go out(pic below). We just pulled out some of our old bike riding garb and the wife, with her creative enginuity, sewed pockets inside for filters. Coffee filters.. vacuum filters.. whatever helps. I'm retired from 20yrs in the commercial property management field. So I have these old cans of invisible gloves in the garage...Sunnymax Skin Shield. Goes on all foamy and leaves a protective coating. Used mostly when painting stuff. Everything washes right off with soap and water. So we just foam up when dealing with the grocery delivery or a quick run to the store. So far so good... Whatever it it takes to get passed this. Just gotta do all we can do.... Darwinism will take care of the rest.

Play smart.. be safe!
                Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

OV10 Charlie and I were having a chuckle at the chuckleheads that just don't get it. It's OK to just keep in touch with friends via phone or on the Squawk. Even better to use the time trying to get the new birds ready for when we can get out and fly....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200411_104014205.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	249259Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl Prop2.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	249260

Comment

There's a group of us over on the Flite Test forums doing a Quarantine Build challenge that we've dubbed, "Planedemic." While I'm staying away from the flying field for the duration, I've finished one plane so far, and am pretty close to finishing a second. I have the "speed build kit" for a third, and am already thinking of a design/scratch-build I might try after that.

Comment

Well, I don't belong to any clubs or anything, it has been no problem for me around here where I live, I got back into scale helis and it was perfect timing, still working and hanging out with my family, flying the helis from my front yard, which is a blast, also building and detailing them, so it hasn't been all that bad for me but I feel sorry for the ones who have gotten sick and all the lives that have been lost. Keep it safe guys and happy flying, if you have never flown a heli, now might be the time to learn if you can't go to a local airfield, you don't need a runway.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Still waiting on the motor and ESC, but here's the Versawing with her Planedemic decals.

Comment

Nice, love it!
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

When I can finally get back out to the flying field, it's going to be a new experience. I haven't flown a wing before.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Not Fear.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	257328
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I took the three Planedemic builds out to the flying field about 3 weeks ago, and maidened all three. Only mishap was the Versawing, which needed the rates reduced a bit more than I'd already set them at. She was twitchy as all get-out, and I was having a real problem keeping her level on the landing approach. Rather than a nice, level slide onto the ground, I ended up a bit nose-down, and ended up breaking the prop. I've since reduced the rates, added a bit more expo, and replaced the prop. I need to get her a try again. Here's the video of all three maidens. I figured, if they had all gone badly, I'd have needed to title it, "Three Little Maidens from Hell." The Bushwacker landing didn't end up getting recorded, as the memory card in the camera ran out of space, and the camera stopped recording.

During the social distancing/quarantine, a number of us on the Flite Test Forums built planes while we were unable to go fly. We ended up dubbing this projec...

The second flight of the Bushwacker the following week, got recorded in full, in case anyone was doubting that she survived her maiden.

Edited video of the second flight of my Flite Test Bushwacker, including the landing this week. This is a nice flying plane, and is capable of a lot more tha...

Comment

Any truth to the seized parts of Seattle? I've been seeing alot of things popping up.

Comment

Armed communists? Not that I am aware of. There's plenty of peaceful protesters from the coverage I have seen but admittedly I am not there. The whole thing is a mess that needs to be worked out and I do not agree with SPD abandoning their East Precinct (although the police have not fully abandoned the area and are responding to any and all 911 calls in the area). Unless the local media is completely ignoring "armed communists" from what I see it's people fed up with what they consider gross miss-usage of policing.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

In this day and age you can't trust anything on the internet which spills over into TV.
                                        Beware the "Deep Fake". With the media it used to be primarily all about ratings (meaning how many people are paying attention to what you are presenting). The more outrageous usually meant the better the ratings. These days it seems to be more about presenting some sort of agenda so be very weary of just about everything.
                                        https://www.forbes.com/sites/robtoew...-not-prepared/

Comment

Working...
                                        X