X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-47

So, the wife and I are sitting under the tree on the front lawn and being an old retired guy, I start reminiscing about the good old days, working on the DC3. I had just been running the polisher over the trailer and thinking how similar it was to those days. So we're talking away when suddenly, I hear an old familiar sound and knew right away exactly what it was. The unmistakable sound of two Pratt and Whitney 1830's. I said to Diane, that's a DC3!
    Sure enough, out from behind the tree comes the all too familiar profile of the one and only Gooney Bird!!
    She was, in fact a C-47, but big deal, there she was!!!!
    So, I just had to head for the airport and visit an old friend...
    Ever notice that head on, a 3 looks as if she's looking at you with her head slightly cocked? As if she's saying, "There's something familiar about you."
    So here's some of the pictures I took...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5362.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.0 KB ID:	317337Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5363.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	317338Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5364.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.2 KB ID:	317339Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5365.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.7 KB ID:	317340
    Now, to show off my memory skills, this is a C47, not a DC3, yes maybe the cargo doors give it away, but most 3's were converted to cargo planes after the war, no its the tail piece which was designed to allow access to hard point inside to attach a glider as well as the astrodome on the top just behind the cockpit as well as the enlarged carburetor air intakes to allow filters to keep the nasty African and Pacific dust from clogging up the engines. I tell you guys, there isn't a piece on this airplane that didn't stir up a memory or story.
    For instance, the small panel under the nose. It allows access to the pulleys and cables that ran between the controls and the control surfaces. Ours didn't have one. Turns out that most of these panels were just thrown away as the planes were being dismantled and lay in a field or dump before retuning to the Earth. How do I know this?? We finally found one, after months of searching, in Florida, for a pretty penny. I can't recall the exact cost, but when I'd do a walk around with visitors, I'd point it out and tell them it was the most expensive piece on the plane!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5366.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	317341
    And what's a picture taking mission without paying homage to to the great power plant that allowed the Gooney to fly to this very day?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5367.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	317342
    The young fellow and Diane were probably wondering if I would ever run out of stories but little did they know, I was just getting started!!
    Guys, I still am waiting for a decent sized RC DC 3 that could fit into my budget and maybe one day Alpha will see fit to oblige but from an Old Fart to you guys, there is nothin that stirs my memory banks like the sight and sound of a DC3 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5369.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.0 KB ID:	317343Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5371 (2).JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.5 KB ID:	317344

Oh, and just for you who never saw ol' 2198, originally Flagship Texas of American Airlines when I was part owner....
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Scan06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.2 KB ID:	317345
    After 40 years sitting at Terrace BC airport in the bush and ten years of restoration. And I polished every inch of her

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Great story Gman! Those of us that have been involved with, now vintage, aviation have no shortage of stories worth telling.

A 2m DC3/C-47 would be worth producing even in foam. The possibilities for custom liveries would be virtually limitless. It was so widely used in both civilian and military roles in many countries.

Comment

Yes sir..............if a 2 meter from Flight Line were to miraculously grace the RC scene it would be a must have for ol' CB because . . . . . TWINS ARE 2X THE FUN
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Oh, and here is a pic that I found from one of the guys involved with the recovery, just so you know what we started off with:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	cfpwh-terrace-nov86.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	371064Click image for larger version

Name:	cfpwh-jun87.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	371065

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment