X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I really screwed up!

So my nephew, by marriage, and his family was visiting from Nebraska a couple weeks ago. He noticed my office hangar and was amazed. "I didn't know you was into flying. I've got something in the car you've gotta check out." Heads outside and comes back with this little grey case. Opens it up and has the Oculus Quest 2 in there. "Dude, I've never tried VR before". He gets it all setup and loads this Ultralight Flying program. It's kinda cartoonish with the graphics, but DAYUM! It was like I was sitting in the cockpit, hand on stick, going through the start up procedure, and I was up in the air! I got hooked.. line and sinker!!
    I then went on to researching.. I tend to research the crap out of anything that peeks my interest. Come to find out there are a few actual flight sims out there that are playable via this VR setup. Up to and including Microsoft's 2020 Flight Sim! A couple of cool battle games as well. One is of the WWl era and the other a WWll era. Well that did it for me. I've now got a Quest2 on the way to my door. 57 years old and lost in the gaming world again! I'm afraid I may never make it back out to the field now!!
    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Alpha ... I just spent my Bison XT savings on this! I'm guessin ya'll are gonna release it this week now.... it's pretty much how my luck goes.
    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

BluesDragon Uh, have you seen DCS? Or better yet DCS Carrier? I'm too hooked on RC right now to even think about it, but I have lusted over it in the near past. I would like to get an FPV setup first and fill out my rc hangar as well. Then I can take the deep dive into VR flying...in a Superhornet...off of a carrier. These are truly odd times we live in, but great times in a lot of ways!

Comment

I did... I've also learned my pc needs some major upgrading (a gamer pc/laptop) to run the best sims through this setup. There's still a couple good ones that run off the Oculus itself though. X Planes ll is another nice one with mainly civilian aircraft, but really nice graphics that give you the feel of sitting in the pilot's seat.
        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

It's the same for me, the VR headset would be the cheapest part of the equation.

Comment

That it is! I'm still having loads of fun with it though. I'll get to running the better sims soon enough.
            Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

I've had mine for about a year there is so much to the vr. In Ms flight sim and dcs it's so amazing how real it feels

Comment

Sooo much! I get lost just in the videos for hours. The wife loves the travel videos too, so it's a win win for me. It's really cool for reaching out to family, with a system, and playing ping pong, top golf, or whatever, while talking with each other. After a couple of weeks it, though... I'm sure to still hit the field to fly. Well, at least until I can get me a gaming pc and do the pcvr thing with the good sims.
                Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

VR is a rabbit hole. I kinda fell out of love with it after the technology and software felt like it stagnated for a couple of years. Still have all of the gear - HOTAS, flight yoke, throttle quadrants etc and a dedicated sim racing setup out in the shed.

The latest MS Flight Sim is incredible (even on a regular monitor) although performance is pretty brutal even on a high end PC. DCS is far more accessible performance wise, but the study level simulation of the aircraft is a lot for a civilian to take in. Lighting up your first target in an A-10 after getting your head around the avionics is a real rush, particularly in VR.

Anyway, here's a clip from 5 years ago using one of the original Oculus development kits to test out hand tracking in MS Flight Sim X, kinda miss these hacky days of VR!

Comment

Yeah the latest update on Ms flight sim really fixed alot performance wise since they redesigned it to work with Xbox as well.

Comment

I cant wait to give VR a try...I just sprung for a new gaming machine and I am running MSFS2020 on Ultra/4K settings with smooth frame rates and next to no stutter. Heaven! Now add VR to the mix?? I would never leave the house!
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                        I cant wait to give VR a try...I just sprung for a new gaming machine and I am running MSFS2020 on Ultra/4K settings with smooth frame rates and next to no stutter. Heaven! Now add VR to the mix?? I would never leave the house!
                        You're a giant step ahead of me to get started.. as far as I'm concerned. In hindsight, I wish had researched further and learned about PCVR first. You definitely want a good gaming machine to run the best of what's available out there. The Q2 has some good ones to run right off the system, but a high performance pc is really the way to go.
                        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Working...
                        X