First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion RC Crash Video: An Open Letter to Hobby Squawk Members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzCkWEO048o

H
    ey y’all. This is Steve Thomas, aka: LB/Elbee.

I watched the ‘crash-session’ video from the Motion RC You_Tube Channel earlier today.

I just can’t seem to let it go.

The majority of the comments at the time of my viewing were mostly negative.

I must say that I agree with those who find such actions wasteful at the very least and at best insulting to anyone who saves money to buy a new airplane or saves money to buy a used airplane.

I worked part-time at a hobby shop for over 8 years in the ‘80’s and in that time I bought many bent and broken aircraft to repair, just so I could keep flying.

Any new kits I purchased, I saved up for those.

Any planes, engines, and accessories I was tired of, I sold at our club auction.

This total disregard for those who cannot readily afford the latest offering or who buy at auction or must save up in order to buy that dream airframe, is unacceptable.

I know these aircraft are the property of Motion-RC, James, and/or Wesley, and therefore expendable as they see fit, but it is so hard to fathom why make this video, much less post it.

This is simply bad form, childish, and in poor taste; ‘all’ those involved should be ashamed.

I am submitting my resignation to Aros as a moderator at Hobby Squawk as I do not wish to be associated with this type of entertainment or with a company that must believe this is somehow educational.

Respectfully,

Steve Thomas

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

You da man! Much respect!

”Be humble...be approachable...and be credible.”

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
      [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#365f91]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzCkWEO048o

I am submitting my resignation to Aros as a moderator at Hobby Squawk as I do not wish to be associated with this type of entertainment or with a company that must believe this is somehow educational.

Respectfully,

Steve Thomas

Amen Brother, completely revolting. He could've donated them to any number of needy young'uns who wanted to get into this hobby but couldn't afford it. I treat all my aircraft, no matter how old, as if it's a part of the family as lord knows every dollar spent on this hobby cost a lot of blood, sweat and tears and funds going to this are less funds available for things the rest of the family deserve even more. I have an idea for a crash test for them, run head long into the bricks and see if it improves your intelligence!
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I am momentarily coming out of self imposed exile from this forum to say that I am sorry to see LB depart as a moderator but I fully understand and totally agree with his reasons for doing so. LB has been a shining beacon in what sometimes has been a dark and decrepit arena for public discourse. (It was a couple of the denizens of the dank and stinking crevices that pushed me away.)
        It was a stupid video made and published with very poor judgement and ill intent. Upon seeing it, I wondered to myself if MotionRC had descended to this kind of depth. Who and why are these people representing them? Or was it Motion who promoted it? Doesn't matter, the damage has been done.
        (Now, back to exile, perhaps permanently this time.)
        Steve, best wishes for what else you may involve yourself with.

Comment

I am saddened to see you leave LB and xviper going dark.
          You have both been an inspiration and valuable resource for me.
          I too watched the video and was repulsed by it.
          The lack of judgement shown by James and Wesley just floored me.
          The fact it was posted under the Motion banner is a real puzzle. I responded to the initial post and this morning responded to the 2nd post with a sad attempt to qualify it.
          There is just no excuse. When I got back into RC planes after a lengthy time I discovered Motion RC and it was a veteran owned business was a plus.
          I have spent an enormous amount of money with Motion. I have asked for Motion to make this incredibly foolish choice right. I suggested a better use for thes planes such as introducing a Boy Scout Troop to the hobby using buddy boxes.
          So many better ways that could have promoted the hobby and supported Motion RC with new customers.
          I feel this poor choice has had the opposite effect and will lose customers. No matter the ill advised reasoning or current excuses it has adversely effected Motions reputation and integrity in my eyes.
          I feel my money will be better served elsewhere.
          Thanks Steve and Xviper and Evan for helping me get back into the Hobby
          My best to all
          Bob

Comment

Evan D Hugh Wiedman xviper NewbieBob

Gentlemen, I will remain a member in good standing and enjoy those privileges bestowed and earned as do you. Best, Steve
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I agree with your decision 100% LB. James and Westley are clearly not thinking much further then the Click Bait garbage that the video is. Why would Motion fund even the wall that clearly took more then $50 to waste perfectly (as someone noted) donatable planes
              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

I doubt Motion funded anything. As marketing people representing Motion I think they made a bad choice in labeling it with Motion artwork.

Comment

Evan I would like to think you are right.
                  I am just waiting to hear what Motion has to say about this mess.
                  Having watched the original video and the sequel called a "report on the first", I still see no justification.
                  It's time someone manned up and get this mess cleaned up. This stink will linger and definitely turn some Motion customers off.
                  There were so many good alternatives to utilizing the 2 planes and the dozen more Rich said they had in back up. The existing destruction certainly didnt make me want to purchase planes or promote the hobby. However introducing a group like Boy Scouts to the hobby of RC flying would have been so much more rewarding.
                  My best to All
                  Bob

Comment

Agreed, in my mind it started with the stupid B-2 antics.

Comment

A Total waste of good planes that could have been given to someone who would appreciate them. Elbee, I understand your decision, just hope you continue to give your advice on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                        Agreed, in my mind it started with the stupid B-2 antics.
                        Jeremy got the last laugh!
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Evan D Hugh Wiedman xviper quitcherbitchen NewbieBob jetfool

Hey y'all,

I am making an apology to all members who might think I have tarnished any credibility I have as a moderator here at the "Squawk".

I am going to continue moderating the forum for as long as Aros allows and I believe I am helping.

I am still miffed about the 'crash video', I just try not to think about the waste and the arrogance.

And as far as I know, nothing has been written, said, or acknowledged about "why" a video like that was ever posted originally.

Sadly, because of that, I have lost a great deal of respect for the decision makers in Motion RC's "Marketing Department".

That in and of itself does not effect moderating this forum.
                          So, I will continue to enjoy your camaraderie and "endeavor to persevere".
                          ~Chief Dan George from "Little Big Man"~

Best to you and yours this Holiday Season.

Steve (LB) Thomas​
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

That is not bad news Steve. Im glad you are staying on.
                            it is times like this that we need a man of your values in place as a moderator. Keeping your voice alive as a trusted community member and moderator is an asset to the community.
                            You most certainly have my full support and thanks for continuing in what is usually a thankless job.
                            All the best
                            Bob

Comment

Thumbs up!

Comment

Elbee,
                                This is great news. I think your service here is well respected by the community. I for one have gain a lot of knowledge on scaling out these foam planes and with your help last winter I have a model that I'm very proud of. So glad you are staying.

Best Regards, Rex

Comment

Leave it to Steve to show us the "High Road". We can all learn something from that B*st*rd, I mean that Lucky B*st*rd.
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                  X