X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred Battery and ESC Connector

What is your preferred battery and ESC connector (in the 20A to 70A range) when you think about ease of soldering, versatility, reliability, etc?
    Deans / T-Connector
    41.18%
    EC3
    23.53%
    XT-60
    17.65%
    Other
    17.65%

I have less trouble with ec3 as far as getting them to plug together easily. Some of the deans are very hard to plug up. I also don't have anything over 45 amp so I have no experience with possible issues on the higher amp applications. For me they are about the same on soldering. As for the others I have no experience at all.

Comment

Hey Farmflyer do you use snap ring pliers to unplug yours. Man there the bomb. Even thought I'm a carpenter now and use my hands alot I have a fit trying to unplug them.
      Dewey l

Comment

I have more trouble getting the t connectors together. On the new mantis esc I installed it takes 3 or 4 tries to get it plugged together but not that hard to get apart. Iv tried it straight on angled both ways doesn't really matter. I have also used a small screwdriver to try to loosen the female side slightly. Some of the others I had before have finally loosened up where they're not to bad.

Comment

Without a doubt the 4mm bullet for the batteries with male and female ends. The exposed Male bullet should be positive. This is because, should the charger lead touch the negative plane of the car there is no spark or fire (charger lead would have the exposed negative bullet, Male). For the ESC side the 4mm Jeti style is hard to beat as it has the anti spark feature. This alone will pay huge dividends as the connectors will not deteriorate near as fast from the huge connector eating spark we get every time we plug in a battery with all the other sparking connector.

An added benefit to the bullets is that one can configure various cell batteries (series hook ups) without the attended resistance of adapters.

Don't like the Horizon EC-X connector as they have the "bird cage" on the male electrical connector. Very high failure rate. If going with the EC-X use the style that drives the plastic housing from the wire to the connecter (contact).

Comment

There was a good discussion between Wintrsol and Konrad here;
            http://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/ele...014-connecters

Comment

Anything running on 4S or less gets a HobbyKing T-Connector (Deans equivalent).

Anything above that gets an EC5.
              Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                Anything running on 4S or less gets a HobbyKing T-Connector (Deans equivalent).

Anything above that gets an EC5.
                Ditto. I have 1-2 that still use XT-60, but I have adaptors for them. It just makes things convenient when buying an FMS or Freewing model from Motion.

Comment

I switched to Anderson Powerpoles early and have been glad I did every time I fly. All of my batteries and all of my planes have Anderson connectors, right up to my 6 cell jets. I've never had a plug related failure. They are simple to use and don't require soldering. It is handy having all of my planes and batteries share a common connector.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X