• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weedsnager View Post
    Where in Indiana ?
    Seymour 50 miles N of Louisville and 60 miles S. of Indpls on I65

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
      Well, first of all, Mike and Charlie were instrumental in me finally starting to figure out how to land a warbird, then Charlie told me how to set the flaps (30 degrees for landing 15 degrees for take off). I start off with around half throttle with landing flaps, bring her around onto final and reduce throttle a click or two, depending on the wind. Keep the fuselage level and use the throttle to control descent. Just off the runway, reduce throttle to idle and (Brian suggested this) ease the elevators back slightly to flare it, not much, its a feel sort of thing, and she'll touch rather than hit the runway. Pin the tail once your speed is down to the point where she won't take off again. I practiced it on the sim (Real Flight 7) with the Big Beautiful Doll, then with the Pitts, then out to the field with Pandora One then into the Mustang. It's amazing and this is only the second time I've tried it in R/T and the first day with the P51.
      Usually, with the Mustangs, I'm sucking up more runway than I care to, but I swear, I didn't use much more than landing the Pandora. I was determined to figure out the secret to landings and to nail them. I still have a way to go, but, like Mike said, once you've got it, your landings will be great, and he's right, the light has turned on!

Grossman56
      warbird landings are different than "floaters" , they're not called Heavy Metal for no reason.
      Establish the glide with elevator length the glide with throttle steer with the rudder and keep the wings level
      don't try to float in it or long approach it either.

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
        Isn't Indiana somewhere near New Mexico? Doc
        It wasn't there last summer. It was still on I65

Comment

Originally posted by corsair167 View Post

warbird landings are different than "floaters" , they're not called Heavy Metal for no reason.
          Establish the glide with elevator length the glide with throttle steer with the rudder and keep the wings level
          don't try to float in it or long approach it either.
          Why are guys against the long approach?

Comment

I'm with you Weedsnagger. Starting my run on the runway at a lower altitude has served me well as long as you remember to keep the speed where you need it. I can't see any reason for a steep decent unless you don't have the room. Just keep your mind on what your doing.
            Dewey l

Comment

I've heard multiple people saying a long approach was not favorable...I was just curious why.
              I myself like the looks of a long approach

Comment

Working...
              X