X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Britain: The Movie

As a kid back in the late 60's and early 70's and an absolute airplane nut (some things never change) I absolutely LOVED this movie. This, my younger friends, was back in the days of rabbit ears, no VCR let alone DVD's. Blue Rays or digital downloads, so my viewing was limited to the whims of the local stations. Saw it in the theaters three times and was actually the last movie I saw with my dad. I had every book written about the movie and paper clippings, record sound tracks and even drew the original movie logo with the flags crossing each other if you can remember back that far!
    Nowadays, we have all these wonderful means of sharing and someone was kind enough to go through the trouble of converting the original Super 8 mm to digital so they could post it on You Tube. Some of this is just fantastic, especially the scene on the airfield with the HE 111 and the Buchons with a Junkers JU 52, airplane heaven!!

Some of Alan Tomkins' personal 8mm footage of the Buchons during the making of The Battle of Britain.

Check it out. This is back in the days when it was all done with real planes or models, in this case, the only plane that was depicted with a model( for the most part) were the Stukas, which were either 1/2 or 3/4 scale (can't remember) R/C planes!
    The guys with the Cowboy hats are members of the (then)Confederate Air force, who were there to fly the fighters. The He 111's were still in service with the Spanish air Force at the time and they had just started phasing (read'chopping up') the Me 109's (a Buchon is a Spanish made version of the Me 109, originally with a DB 601, but when they ran out of those, they converted them to Merlins).
    As I've posted before, a lot of the planes are sitting in a big hangar in Texas if you can believe that! A few years later, the Spanish junked out the He 111's and I believe the only one left is the Commemorative Air Forces one, which came from the movie as well, so sad!

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

OH yea I've got it on DVD and watch it periodically just to get my airplane fix.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzeux7ZfFuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IzB_OyztUk

Here they sit in the barn an interesting story
      Team Gross!

Comment

I recall the movie very well, went many times, kind of set my path in life from the very first time I saw it, was young & excited:-)

Comment

Hey Silentuser, welcome to the forum.
          Yep, that movie was a life changer, can't look at a Spitfire without hearing the theme song in my head!

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

I still watch the DVD more than any other movie I have & that's LOTS!:-)

Comment

The Battle of Britain movie was the first movie to successfully use R/C models for most of the flying sequences. They used 3 R/C pilots. Jack Morton, Mick Charles and I believe the other pilot may have been Dave Platt, I'm not sure. The models were not that large, most of them used 60 size glow engines.

Martin.

Comment

I have seen that movies as well did anyone watch the netflix the truth about battle for Britain. That documentary was pretty good shows allot like I am glade I was not their. It makes you respect the boys who was involved in it from ground people to pilots. One thing is for certain the ground crew needs some huge recantation as well if it was not for them we would never have had ACES.

Comment

Now, I'm going to have to watch it again (don't know what number of viewing I'll be up to this time). Great movie!
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Martin.MotionRC View Post
                    The Battle of Britain movie was the first movie to successfully use R/C models for most of the flying sequences. They used 3 R/C pilots. Jack Morton, Mick Charles and I believe the other pilot may have been Dave Platt, I'm not sure. The models were not that large, most of them used 60 size glow engines.

Martin.
                    Thanks for the link Martin, very interesting:-)

Comment

+1 on what you said about the ground crew, Brad. For every pilot and his plane, there was a large crew of people supporting him, without which he'd never stay in the fight. Mechanics, armorers, electricians, riggers, finishers, fitters. They each had specialized roles to keep aircraft in the air. They're often unsung, like the American WASP corps, but their contributions are worthy of every accolade.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

During peace time it took a ground crew around 4 days to change an engine on a Lancaster Bomber. During WW2 they were changed in 9 hours. So often the ground support crews did not get the recognition they deserved.

Martin.

Comment

Same with the turn around time on the Spits and Hurricanes. There was a vid that I watched where they tried rearming a Spitfire in the length of time it took the crews during the Battle. I believe they said it was about thirty minutes to refuel and rearm, might have been less, but I recall that it was a lot faster than the modern day guys could manage.
                          Speaking of the Battle of Britain, I see that Flightline is releasing its 1600 mm Spitfire in April, if you haven't seen the vid that Alpha posted, maybe he'll be kind enough to post it here as well.

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Here is a quick, unofficial preview of the upcoming FlightLineRC 1600mm Spitfire Mk.IX from Motion RC. Anticipated to arrive in April 2017, this Spitfire fol...

In case you missed the sneak preview of the 1600 mm FlightLine Spitfire.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

The new Spitfire is absolute magic.

Martin

Comment

Here you go, all you Battle of Britain nuts and Spitfire crazies, this is a great video, get to popcorn and settle into your favorite chair and enjoy!
                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                X