X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique birds

What is your definition of an antique aircraft? The SR-71 could be considered one of these. What are your thoughts.

Interesting question. I tend to think of a "modern" airplane as a monoplane with retractable gear, with mostly metal construction. So I guess I consider most planes before 1930 as "antique" and 1930-1940 as a transition period. Generally, from most documentaries that I have seen, WWII was considered yield the first "modern" airplanes. But, if you consider it strictly based off of airplane age I can certainly see your point. It would be strange to think of the SR-71, X-15, Shuttle, and XB-70 as antique airplanes to me.

Comment

Anything older than me is antique

Comment

lol, yeah, I was around to see the first shuttle launch, so, if its considered an antique, then I guess that means I am too lol sometimes I feel like it.
        www.TSHobbies.com
        Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

Value is also connected to antiquities but what about aircraft that are antiqued from non authentic materials. Do you still feel the same about their value or antiqueness.
          Last edited by Cack82; Feb 9, 2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

For me, that would leave only the F-22, F-35, and Reaper as not being antique.. Even the classic B-52 and Huey are over 60 now..

Comment

A car is considered antique if it's 25 years or older.

Comment

Aircraft Catagories according to the: Antique Airplane Association.
                Pioneer Period 1903 - 1914
                World War I Period 1914 - 1918
                Antique or Golden Age 1919 - 1936
                Classic 1936 - 1942
                World War II 1940 - 1945
                Neo-Classic 1946 - 1950
                (Since extended to 1955 during the 1978 AAA/APM standards meeting.)
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post
                  Anything older than me is antique
                  If that's the case, that makes me and CB Relics!

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                  X