X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very exciting site!

I was driving toward Abilene Tx when I saw 5 huge, extremely weird looking jets taking off about 1/2 mile apart. From the side they, each, looked almost like 3 jet fighters in tight formation. I watched for a while. They were doing T&G's. When I got home I did some research and have come to the conclusion They were B1 bombers! WOW!!! Doc

It is amazing that it is still relevant technology wise after 35+ years since it's introduction.
    I was part of the project management team in the early 80's for the Avionics Computer Control Memory Storage Unit on the B1B.
    That computer was designed and built by IBM Federal Systems in Owego.
    What many folks probably don't know is that facility provided computers/radars for many military platforms such as the A-6, F-15 and LAMPS helo plus the Space Shuttle to name just a few.
    I still have and use daily a keychain metal fob from those B1 days for my truck keys. Not so shiny as it was when I first got it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	70607
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Very cool! I love the "Bone".

Comment

Yeah the Bone is still a beautiful bird. My unit was involved in the initial in-flight refueling check out and qual for the pilots assigned to the first unit a Diaz AFB. Texas. That was one of the highlights of my career.
        Roy B.

Comment

Working...
        X