X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Oh, didn't know the Chairforce did that too. Though in the Navy, the first half of boot was common core, second was specialized training if you were a drill company, like I was, and yes, I too was in drum and bugle.
    But we still had PT, even worse, our Company Commander was a Water Safety and Physical Training instructor between companies.
    My mom and dad were Marines on Paris Island at the time I was born... but I went Navy and ended up at Great Mistakes during the winter for boot. Our staff company 902 also did PT... abandoned ship... getting mashed... snow watches... also being a ARPOC/Honor Guard I ended up having to do IT (intensive training) with the seals... man that was interesting. Rifle ricks companies on the other hand seemed to be always getting mashed/hunting for Charlie and making it rain in their barracks along with regular PT.
    All in all we started off with 87 in our company and graduated with 42. Good times...

Comment

• Originally posted by Helmsman52 View Post

Same here about night lite ocean sky... We were in the middle of the Atlantic heading to Little Creek amphib base from the Mediterranean during the short lived Gulf war... never seen sooo many stars in my life within a flat no obstructing 360 degree horizon. Thanks for your service!
      ...and thanks for yours as well. :Cool: Yeah, telling someone the stars are easier to see at night just isnt the same, eh? It's more like having a big screen telescope right in front of your face. :)
      There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post
        USN '88 - '96 Ret. Disabled. Fire Controlman. USS Texas, USS California, Weps and RADAR spec. Harpoon, CIWS, RIM-66 surface to air, ASROC, Tomahawk and 5 inch guns.

I wouldn't trade that time for anything. I remember like yesterday the first time I stepped out onto the weather deck at night in the clear South Pacific sky.
        I supported the CIWS program at General Dynamics, Pomona, for some ten years, and then for a few more years in Tucson before the line was moved to Louisville, KY. Great program for a Metrology Technician, as the system had just about everything - analog, TTL, high voltage, computers, motor controls, RF, IF, pneumatics, and one impressive 20mm Vulcan cannon. I miss Phalanx.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post

I supported the CIWS program at General Dynamics, Pomona, for some ten years, and then for a few more years in Tucson before the line was moved to Louisville, KY. Great program for a Metrology Technician, as the system had just about everything - analog, TTL, high voltage, computers, motor controls, RF, IF, pneumatics, and one impressive 20mm Vulcan cannon. I miss Phalanx.
          If there was anything I didn't like about the CIWS it was humping cases of ammo up to their sponsons. :Sweating: LOL!
          There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post

Does this mean we can call you C3PO? Unless you're in the UK, then it'd be Davros.

Comment

• Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post

If there was anything I didn't like about the CIWS it was humping cases of ammo up to their sponsons. :Sweating: LOL!
              Well those days may be coming to an end on the Ford class at least. JFK and Enterprise are supposed to have laser cannons instead of CIWS.

Comment

Does this mean we can call you C3PO? Unless you're in the UK, then it'd be Davros.
                I don't think I've ever been as fussy as Threepio. :)

Comment

• USN 94' to 06. Aviation Machinist Mate (AD) VXE-6 Operation Deep Freeze LC-130's, based in Pt. Mugu Ca. and deployed to McMurdo Station Antarctica and Christchurch New Zealand, MALS-24 (Marine Aviation Logistics Support) test cell operator (multiple platforms) Kaneohe Bay, Hi., HSL-48/40 SH-60B Mayport Fl., deployed pretty much everywhere. First 2 years as an un-designated Fireman aboard the USS Emory S. Land AS-39 Norfolk VA. Realized quickly that I would much rather be above the water than on or below it!

Comment

• Thanx for the latest registrations guys.................this brings it to almost 80 vets that have acknowledged the brotherhood and stood up to be counted since I started this thread almost 2 years ago.:Cool:
                    The numbers are actually falling in line with my suspicions. ;)
                    The AF however I thought would be slightly higher rather than lower of the Army and Navy
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                      Thanx for the latest registrations guys.................this brings it to almost 80 vets that have acknowledged the brotherhood and stood up to be counted since I started this thread almost 2 years ago.:Cool:
                      The AF however I thought would be slightly higher rather than lower of the Army and Navy
                      Maybe it's like working for McDonald's, after a while you get sick of hamburgers. Though there does seem to be quite a few Navy aviation rates.

Comment

Thanx for the latest registrations guys.................this brings it to almost 80 vets that have acknowledged the brotherhood and stood up to be counted since I started this thread almost 2 years ago.:Cool:
                        I would have thought so to.

Comment

Maybe it's like working for McDonald's, after a while you get sick of hamburgers. Though there does seem to be quite a few Navy aviation rates.
                          More than a few ;)There used to be 25+ when I was in but in 1990 there was 8 that were merged into similar ratings.
                          My AQ (Aviation Fire Control) rating was merged into the AT's(Aviation Electronics Tech).
                          In my day on A-6 Intruders (early 70's) the AQ's were responsible for Inertial, Computer, Radar and Weapons release platforms while the AT's had the Radios, Displays, Navigation, Tactical and ECM Sensors.
                          Now these days the AT's have the complete avionics package which is quite the handful.:Whew:
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• If I remember right, AD (Aviation Machinist Mate) was also one that was merged. Was a bit before my time but I think it was ADR for heli's, ADJ for turbo-jets, and maybe ADP for props? Much simpler merging them all but keeping specific NEC's (kind of the Navy's version of an MOS but specific to aircraft or systems). They were very good at making things more confusing than it had to be.

Comment

More than a few ;)There used to be 25+ when I was in but in 1990 there was 8 that were merged into similar ratings.
                              My AQ (Aviation Fire Control) rating was merged into the AT's(Aviation Electronics Tech).
                              In my day on A-6 Intruders (early 70's) the AQ's were responsible for Inertial, Computer, Radar and Weapons release platforms while the AT's had the Radios, Displays, Navigation, Tactical and ECM Sensors.
                              Now these days the AT's have the complete avionics package which is quite the handful.:Whew:
                              Yea my rate was also part of a consolidation. I was originally a Data Processing technician, then about my 14 year mark the people in Washington (one of them being one of my past division officers) decided that since the rating was going digital, to merge DP with Radioman. Well, comes exam time, we ate their lunch because they had problems with our side, most of their stuff was simple to us, resulting in a 60/40 DP to RM
                              promotion rate. About four years later someone in the recruiting section noted that they were having problems meeting quotas, so they changed the name to Information Systems technician.

Comment

• I was Radar/Nav in the Air Force, working primarily Starlifters, though I did get to occasionally work a Sabreliner or a Hercules. I think one time I got to work a Galaxy.

Sometime after I got out, they restructured the maintenance organizations in the USAF, and to my knowledge, the Avionics Maintenance Squadrons vanished under something like a Combined Maintenance Squadron. As I was told, under that system, an Avionics Tech might get pulled to assist mechanical maintenance, if things in the electronics end were slow.

I enjoyed working avionics. It was a good field to learn, and provided me with knowledge and skills that have kept me gainfully employed for pretty much 40 years now.

Funny, though, that I worked aircraft maintenance in the Air Force, but for the last 36+ years, I've worked in the Metrology Department of a large corporation, without having worked PMEL in the USAF.

Comment

• USAF Active Duty 1977-1988: T-38 IP/Check Pilot; C-141B IP/Flight Examiner, HQ MAC Flight Examiner
                                  USAFR 1988-1997: C-141B IP, USAF Reserve Assistance Officer to CAP.
                                  Retired 1997
                                  Airline 1988-2017...Retired
                                  Last edited by deadbug; Mar 4, 2019, 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling ;-)

Comment

• A somewhat sad, but momentus day for me Friday. My first EA-6B squadron, VMAQ-2, was de-commissioned. A great ceremony which included several flybys of the last two operational Prowlers in existence on their last flight as part of the squadron. Luckily, both will be saved for static display, one at Love Field in Dallas, Texas, the other at the National Air and Space Museum in D.C. Thought some of you here might be interested. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	183661Click image for larger version

Views:	347
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	183662

Comment

• You need to honor that bird and replace that A-4 in your user pic ;)Sad.........the last of the A-6 airframes to fly :(
                                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

• You're right Charlie. I'll try to find an appropriate photo.:)

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                                          A somewhat sad, but momentus day for me Friday. My first EA-6B squadron, VMAQ-2, was de-commissioned. A great ceremony which included several flybys of the last two operational Prowlers in existence on their last flight as part of the squadron. Luckily, both will be saved for static display, one at Love Field in Dallas, Texas, the other at the National Air and Space Museum in D.C. Thought some of you here might be interested. Click image for larger version

Views:	351
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	183661Click image for larger version

Views:	347
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	183662
                                          Although I'm not a Navy guy I have many of memories of refueling the different A-6 airframes over the years especially the one during the Gulf War that was on my boom over the Persion Gulf low level headed toward Quait on a bomb run when we flew into a low scud layer and he completely disappeared on the end of my boom, what a night!

Comment

Working...
                                          X