X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F35 Carrier Trials USS Nimitz

alright guys, crank up the volume..especially start at 4:00 ... awesome ROAR at 5:00 sounded nuts!
    www.TSHobbies.com
    Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

Very cool TS, thanks!!

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Ahhhhhhh the memories.....thanx TS.
        You think that was loud or impressive........naw :P
        You ain't seen nothing unless you catchem lighting off the afterburners whereas there was none on these launches.
        Being a plank owner on the Nimitz via VA-35, I was a cat checker for my squadron on that bird farm and those days of AB takeoffs with F-4 and A-5 Vigilantes were raucous.
        Don't EVER get caught behind a JDB (jet blast deflector) while a Vigi is in AB...........instant sunburn(3rd degree) on uncovered flesh :Scared:
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

NICE!!! Ahhh good times. Did you see how the deck came up to meet the guy on the second to last trap?:Scared:

No more AB launches, OV10. :( Engines these days put out enough power and the airframes are lighter so it isn't needed.

Comment

yeah I noticed no AB ..looks like it has plenty of power also noticed it didnt appear that it really didnt need the arrestor hook in order to land. Guess its more of a safety precaution now more than a need .
            www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post
              yeah I noticed no AB ..looks like it has plenty of power also noticed it didnt appear that it really didnt need the arrestor hook in order to land. Guess its more of a safety precaution now more than a need .
              One of the funnier things with some of the new gear that was being tested for landing systems, it made approaches so precise that it caused the cables to wear unevenly. Every pilot was nailing nearly the exact same spot on the deck. The software guys said they have to go back and make it have more variation so that the crews aren't rotating out the cables all time: https://www.defensetech.org/2017/05/...h-wows-pilots/.

The video is awesome though and its nice to see that the C model is making good progress towards operation! I've seen the A & B models in person and they are incredible machines! Especially watching the B's do a hovering approach.

Comment

Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post
                Having worked the deck.............your guess TS is absolutely incorrect. Even though these new age fighters are lighter and have better slow flight characteristics than the ones of my era there is no way they could stop before they hit the end of the angle without an arresting cable to trap them. That F-35 was still over a 100 kts airspeed when it cleared the roundown and grabbed the #3 cable. The only way a trap without the arresting cable would/could be done is if it was a VTOL landing.
                DeltaD........to my remark above about the #3 cable. The Navy pilots are trained to arrest on the #3 as SOP and take pride in their trap records on the accuracy of actual connects. The newer Nav software does help to increase the success ratio but I'm not buying that comment about them adding variations to reduce cable replacement. If it was that exact then the Navy could do away with the LSO who is on the deck at his station on the port aft side who tells the pilot to "call the ball" and the #1,2 and 4 arresting cables.
                Their are vids you can google to see night ops in high seas where the deck is pitching 15-20 ft. These pilots are the best in the world and still have to get the tight sphincter factor involved in these situation because there is no manner of auto flight controls that can bring em in on these seas without the human factor.
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                  Their are vids you can google to see night ops in high seas where the deck is pitching 15-20 ft. These pilots are the best in the world and still have to get the tight sphincter factor involved in these situation because there is no manner of auto flight controls that can bring em in on these seas without the human factor.
                  Amen to that, Shipmate!

Comment

Believe it.

Of course, the system is normally only to support and simplify the pilot's job during landings, not totally automate it since flying is a perishable skill. The pilot still ultimately makes the call.

And increased accuracy is plausible, because the reduction in required throttle adjustments allows the pilot to focus more on lineup during "the scan".

Comment

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                      Believe it.

Of course, the system is normally only to support and simplify the pilot's job during landings, not totally automate it since flying is a perishable skill. The pilot still ultimately makes the call.

And increased accuracy is plausible, because the reduction in required throttle adjustments allows the pilot to focus more on lineup during "the scan".
                      That's certainly what it sounded like to me as well. Much the same way a "SAS" Stability Augmentation System makes it easier to do more precise maneuvers in modern choppers. As for fully automated landings, we're there too! Check out the videos of the X-47 UCAS. Fully automated takeoffs and landings from a carrier is going to be a routine thing in the future. Between an X-47 variant, the Fire Scout chopper, and V-247 Vigilant, there will at least a few UAS on the decks of ships pretty soon.

Certainly though, putting a manned aircraft down on the deck will always require some amazing skill! I have nothing but respect for the guys and gals who makes these incredibly difficult approaches day and night, VFR or IFR. The software at the least allows them to expand their envelope of control, to help them nail that spot on the deck.

Comment

Working...
                      X