X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of scams online!!

Hi All: I want to call your attention to redouble your efforts to be careful purchasing hobby items online, even on Hobbysquawk. Last month, I posted a request if anyone had a NIB 1500mm FMS P-47D razorback, I would be interested in buying it. A "Simonbb" responded, referring me to a "Lisa Seitz" who had one for sale for $300, plus $50 shipping. "She" (don't know now if it was a male of female) sent me several photos showing the model in its shipping box, in excellent condition. I sent the money to Lisa via Venmo, and expected to get tracking info, as she had promised in an email. A few days later, she closed her Venmo account, and went silent. Venmo couldn't or wouldn't do anything to try and resolve the situation, and so there you have it, I'm out $350.

I have done many deals on EBay, PayPal, etc., never a problem. But really haven't been ripped off by what appeared to be a legitimate seller before. So, just beware! And I will never use Venmo again, unless I personally know the person I am dealing with and know them to be reputable.

Davegee

Thanks for the heads up on these scumbags. A hard lessen indeed.
    I've personally never heard of "Venmo" and I don't buy from private individuals online unless there is a connection with someone I actually know and a deal that can be paid via PayPal using a CC. That way, I have recourse with either PayPal or my CC.

Comment

Yes, excellent points. I have been trying to get this particular model for a major makeover project for over a year now. Due to Covid, and now restrictions from China that restrict international shipments over 2kg for many models, including the one I want, these planes are very rare to get a hold of. I felt reasonably (but not completely) comfortable going ahead and sending the money, I had several email exchanges with this "Lisa" and with the photos of it, it seemed a reasonable risk. Venmo is a separate division of PayPal, so I thought I'd have protections there, but Venmo was really worthless as an aid to fixing the dispute. Just a PSA to anyone out there contemplating a third party purchase. Sometimes they work out, sometimes, not. Lesson learned, for me!

Comment

don't forget you can do chargebacks on credit cards and the bank will hunt them down for you to get the money back. also, report it to your state attorney general. most of the time your bank will refund your money.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
          Thanks for the heads up on these scumbags. A hard lessen indeed.
          I've personally never heard of "Venmo" and I don't buy from private individuals online unless there is a connection with someone I actually know and a deal that can be paid via PayPal using a CC. That way, I have recourse with either PayPal or my CC.
          venmo is owned by paypal. paypal is also a scam. they give a buyer 90 days to destroy or lie about the item. happens on car RC transactions all the time. people wait 89 days and say it's destroyed when they got it. or never got it at all. then paypal usually gets in touch with the seller and tells them they owe the buyer his money back. so not only does the con buyer get the car, he gets the money returned too. this is a rampant problem on the RC tech forums. I've personally never had it happen but I quit selling stuff because of it. and I closed my paypal account.

Comment

Working...
          X